H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

BuzzH3 is off the scale
Default My K&N experiment is done

I know, I know, I have heard all of the anti K&N comments around here, but I just had to try it for myself. Normally I am a skeptic by nature, but all of the specs look very appealing (on paper). I got a pretty good price for the K&N intake kit on ebay so I decided to put it through my own tests.
The first test was to see how much cooler the intake air temp would be with the K&N. I used a Scan Gauge II to monitor this (if you don't have one GET ONE - great tool). The results were sort of as expected. Driving down the highway, the intake air temp for both intakes runs at about 7-11 degrees above the outside temp. No noticable divverence between the 2. The difference came in city driving, heavy traffic, or sitting still. On both intakes the temp rises about the same amount, but on the K&N it rises A LOT quicker. The stock setup definitely insulates the air better.

The next was the seat-of-the-pants dyno. The first time pulling out of my subdivision at about half throttle, I thought I noticed slightly more power and definitely more noise. After more driving, I realized that these power increases were just psychological due to the increase in sound. Every morning, I pull out of my subdivision onto a 60MPH road. There is a sign further down the road and I noticed that I could hit about 52MPH when I passed it with the stock setup. It was no different with the K&N. I know this is not very technical, but it is a real world test for me.

Now about that "sound". At about half throttle, the sound is not bad and actually sounds kind of good. The problem is that at higher RPM and when down shifting, the sound turns from a rumble to an amazinly loud vibration sound (yes, everything was tightened). The sound drowns out the stereo and is really annoying. This is what brought me to the conclusion of this experiment. I just could not stand the sound anymore. I am the kind of person that LOVES the rumble of a V8 with a good exhaust system. I'm not the kind of person that likes quiet vehicles, so for this to annoy me to the point of removal had to be bad!!

Anyway, I hope that helps anyone trying to decide whether or not to get the K&N. If not, I have a K&N intake kit I will sell you!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My K&N experiment is done

Good info. Being a test engineer myself, I love real world tests so thanks for filling us in and for being the "guinea rig".

K&N filters do allow greater airflow, but they can only pass as much air as the engine demands. It looks like the I5 already gets enough air from the stock intake ... and at a lower temperature. So based on your results, the K&N offers little or no benefit on a stock engine with stock exhaust.

The K&N might still help after engine or exhaust mods, because they can process more air faster and the mods might exceed the stock intake's flow capacity.

Last edited by Wisha Haddan H3 : 11-21-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Ya Man!....Gotta Luv Them K&N Filters?? ..... A Couple trips over a Wet Mtn. Pass and this is what it, WILL Look like!---dirt, sand, cinders, salt, whatever----when you decide to check it, or performance goes to $hit! ...If you don't use a K&N Condom (foam filter) a lot of CRAP is movin through it!

IMHO & Experience...Dust, Winter conditions (treated/sanded roads), and off road driving--------The K&N Filters SUCK $HIT!...right through!...Just not good for the 2!..Mine anyway!

I still have the Xtreme flow filter and mounts... And would trade the POS for 3 NEW STOCK filters!---Maybe Two!

Last edited by Big Z : 02-16-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Last edited by Big Z : 02-16-2007 at 06:54 PM.