H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 09-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

WhiteH3 is off the scale

The grill just looks black in the photo. Photograph was taken in a garage.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:43 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tones H3 is off the scale

Are there any warranty issues with the K&N Aircharger system?
Old 09-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

WhiteH3 is off the scale

See K&N's FAQ:
http://knfilter.com/faq.htm
Old 09-14-2005, 01:01 AM

WPBGUY is off the scale

What is the difference between this on and the one from SMA?
Old 09-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

So far I've installed K&N FIPK & Airaid intake systems, MIT's, Corsa and Flowmaster systems in H2's, Tundra's and the Yukon.

In my experience the perfornace gains were marginal at best. In most cases I didn't feel a lick of difference, except a sweet exhaust note.

However, I do agree that the H3 feels underpowered but then, I bought it for the gas mileage (over our H2) so I wasn't surprised.

If you have any doubts at all but want to "try" these add ons, at least buy it from a vendor that will give you a money back guarantee.

On our Yukon I installed an Airaid Junior kit (filter and MIT) and the Airaid Throttle Body Spacer. Initially I "convinced" myself that my $350.00 yielded more usable ponies but after a long drive up the mountains I came back and returned everything to http://www.autoanything.com. They were great to work with. I can't believe they took back a used filter!

Don't get me wrong though, perhaps the H3's OEM intake and exhaust is so restrictive that an intake coupled with a free flow exhaust works. But it's an expensive lesson.
2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 11-03-2005, 09:40 PM

UNOMYFLO is off the scale

I like the Volant myself do we have any figures on its performance?

One concern with any CAI for these trucks is the water infiltration. Looks to me that the oem box is somewhat sealed to keep the water out what are othrs thoughts on this?

The claim water fording in 2' of water at 5mph or so...with an exposed K&N filter my fear is water getting sucked into the intake/throttle body..

UNO
Old 11-04-2005, 04:01 AM
Hummer Professional

FLYINGBADGER2006 is off the scale

Hey WhiteH3, I also have the K&N air intake and I also purchased recently the (B&B) SMA dual exhaust. So by just guessing here, based on the dyno testing. The H3 was getting roughly 15-20 more HP with the compliment of air intake and after market exhaust installled. Is that the break down?
Victory Red, Auto,Lux, Cashm w/ eb interior, tow pkg, BFG all terr 285/75/16 incl. spare, black side step bars, SMA chrome hood handles, Kenwood DVD, K&N Air Intake, McCulloch 8000K H.I.D. headlights, Custom made 100% sheepskin seat covers, Dual DVD headrests,SMA dual exhaust,Roof marker lights.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

WhiteH3 is off the scale

That's correct based on the Dyno Charts. Note that the horsepower numbers were based on measurements taken at the wheels.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:05 AM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

I bid on one of these filters and got it on eBay for $130.00. Great price so I couldn't go wrong. I installed it tonight and it was pretty easy. Took me about 2 hours total.

I don't have any engine warning light problems so far and the horsepower gains are very noticeable. When your romp on the gas and it kicks down a gear it will go!

It is lounder but not really for non-agressive driving. None the less the extra loudness doesn't bother me, it sounds good.

I have a question, when should I re oil the filter? When I got just a K & N filter for my wifes beetle the guy at the store said, to do it after about 7,000 miles. This was just a filter not a cold air intake. I am not sure about what to do for the H3? What mileage increase have you noticed since installing?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:27 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

you shouldn't have to oil that thing for quite some time. Make sure when you do, you do not use to much. The oil can ruin something to do with a MAFF sensor. There were previous post about this. You'll have to search why.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:24 AM

UNOMYFLO is off the scale

I know I saw one guy with the Volant CAI whats the deal with that one anybody have that one in?

I like the volant, plus its in a contained box...if you notice under our hoods everything is sealed for the water fording capability...my fear would be the exposed k&n grabbing a lot of water and it getting into the throttle body....

I had a Volant on my 04 hemi ram and loved it really nice pice well made and great cust serv.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:35 AM
Hummer Professional

FLYINGBADGER2006 is off the scale

I like the volant, plus its in a contained box...if you notice under our hoods everything is sealed for the water fording capability...my fear would be the exposed k&n grabbing a lot of water and it getting into the throttle body....

After attending the South Bend Hummer Off-Road Course in my H3 in Oct., It would be stupid and foolish to ford in more than 24 inches in water at more than 5 mph. and 16 inches of water at 20 mph., as it was instructed by the Hummer trail guides and states in the owners manual. So it is a mute issue regarding the air intake taking water. If you go that deep where the air intake takes water your screwed anyways, And yea the Volant would take water too. It is not an completely air tight box. What good would that be then. No air could get to the manifold. Again, refer to your Hummer manual as to fording in water. Air intakes regardless of stock, K&N, and even Volants or others are are not designed for deep fording. Unless specified and then still you would need a deep fording kit to include a exhaust that pertrude out and up as so not to allow water in thru the exhaust.
Attached Images

Victory Red, Auto,Lux, Cashm w/ eb interior, tow pkg, BFG all terr 285/75/16 incl. spare, black side step bars, SMA chrome hood handles, Kenwood DVD, K&N Air Intake, McCulloch 8000K H.I.D. headlights, Custom made 100% sheepskin seat covers, Dual DVD headrests,SMA dual exhaust,Roof marker lights.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:59 AM

Rajin Cajun is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummahMan:
FYI: Testing of air filters...
http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's another comparison but not quite as much information.
Bob the Oil Guy