H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-01-2003, 05:07 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

Hey guys, I just bought a tilt gauge off E-bay and it is pretty good for the price.

I am buying a second to place on the side of the OH console for pitch. The pic shows placing one for roll on the back side of the OH console...great for those with a sunroof and the short OH console. I mounted mine for roll between the 2 front air vents...perfect.

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2003, 05:07 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

Hey guys, I just bought a tilt gauge off E-bay and it is pretty good for the price.

I am buying a second to place on the side of the OH console for pitch. The pic shows placing one for roll on the back side of the OH console...great for those with a sunroof and the short OH console. I mounted mine for roll between the 2 front air vents...perfect.

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net
Old 05-01-2003, 05:34 PM
Hummer Professional

TBarrow is off the scale

I just bought the same one a 4 wheel parts for 8.95 It is made by Sun products and called a lev-o-gage

Black H2 Adventure Series+ all other options.
Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2\" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Xenarc HID, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, B&B Headers and full dual exhaust by B&B as well, ARB fridge/freezer, Full Audio upgrade.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:34 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

TBarrow:

Please e-mail me where I can get one for $8.95.

I found a Marine shop that had them for $9.95 but they wanted 6.95 for shipping. The E-Bay one is $13.75 including shipping.

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net
Old 05-02-2003, 11:47 AM
Hummer Professional

TBarrow is off the scale

I bought mine at my local 4 wheel parts wholesalers store front for 8.95. I want to better understand what a true 40 degree side slope feels and looks like.

Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2\" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Xenarc HID, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, B&B Headers and full dual exhaust by B&B as well, ARB fridge/freezer, Full Audio upgrade.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:51 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

Phil:

I stopped into all the Marine stores in Omaha.....in Omaha, limited resources here you know. West Marines website does not show them. The only other clinometer I have available locally is the "Jeep" one...nawwwww!, plus it has to mount on the front dash..ugly! I've seen the H1 unit as well, just is an ugly unit overall.

TBarrow:

Can you send me the information on the 4-wheel parts store so I can buy direct...none of our limited 4-wheel places here have a clue.

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net
Old 05-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

Phil:

West Marine e-mailed a response to my request. Their "master" catalog has the gage for $10.99 plus $5.95 shipping, still higher than the E-bay guy who sells them for $13.75 including shipping. The closest store to me is Milwaukee or Denver...8 hours away....NG.

Thanks for the info.

I will eventually mark my 2 gages with a line showing 60% vert slope, and 40% side slope...definitely not 40/60 degrees...ouch!

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net
Old 05-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Hummer Professional

TBarrow is off the scale

I did not realize there was a difference. 4 wheel parts wholesalers is located at www.4wheelparts.com
They do not have it on there website but in there stores. Call them at thyere 800 number and have them look it up for you. I could not find a marine store or any other at first.

This is a link to the manufacturer. They have a % slope also towards the bottom.
http://www.suncompany.net/Industrial...o-g/index.html

[This message was edited by TBarrow on 05-02-03 at 10:25 AM.]

[This message was edited by TBarrow on 05-02-03 at 10:28 AM.]
Old 05-02-2003, 10:17 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

On a visit to a Los Angeles Wal-Mart store, I saw 8-10 different types in stock. My guess is they are generally used by RVs or trailers. I did not buy any because they all looked too "RV" or "trailer" styled. But prices were right, cheap. The one in Hum2's photo looks nice.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

If u want to look real fancy get two of these digital levels ,also read in % of slope.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000225AL/104-2936179-2658355?v=glance&s=hi&n=553260&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&vi =pictures&img=14#more-pictures
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:02 AM
Hummer Veteran

TheGoodHummerMan is off the scale

Inclinometers are cute, but of little practical value. When my H2 is on a 40% slope, the last thing I will be doing is watching the inclinometer... instead, I will be paying attention to where I am going to steer to keep from tipping the rest of way over.

But, maybe if your passenger isn't experiencing sufficiently distracting pucker power, they can enjoy watching the gauge?

Ed

[This message was edited by TheGoodHummerMan on 05-03-03 at 11:29 PM.]
Old 05-04-2003, 02:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
Yes and no. Many people do not know what a 40% slope feels like and want to stay within the safe working limits of the vehicle. Therefore a gauge which tells them the slope, is actually of great help and may well indeed prevent someone from rolling over.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very good point PhilD, I hadn't thought of that. My experience with such analog gauges is that as you bounce around, the gauge flucuates so wildly that it is most difficult to get a reading, especially if you are turtling.

But without a gauge, I might "think" that I was really pushing the envelope when only driving across a 30% slope... Maybe I will install the gauge just to check the accuracy of my "pucker". Who knows, maybe I've only been daring to take on those wicked 20% slopes?

Have you exceeded the 40% mark with your H2 yet? After looking at the various Lev-o-gage models that Sun Company lists, I think I will opt for the Model 3 that reads up to 26 degrees. If I max that out, it will be more than ENOUGH for me, as my pucker gauge will quickly confirm?

Thanks for the heads up on the gauge...

Ed
Old 05-04-2003, 03:04 PM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

The best guages are oil filled and should not be disturbed by the "BUMPS & RATTLES". This guage on EBAY is quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2413126233&category=67 73

I own one and it works very well. The most important thing to remember on a a side slope is don't be afraid at any moment to turn down hill if you feel you are over the limit of incline performance. Although turning into the fall or turning down hill seems unnatural for some it is often times the only way to save yourself from a role.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hummer Man:
The best guages are oil filled and should not be disturbed by the "BUMPS & RATTLES".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You be de Hummer Man! You can drive your Hummer on a wickedly steep slope, steering a path around obstacles and at the same time watch that little gauge mounted over your mirror? Wow, you're not just a genius --- you are super-human...

I have trouble chewing gum and using a winch at the same time...

Analog gauges are inherently difficult to "accurately" read. This "liquid filled" gauge that you tout is definitely no exception. Sitting still, can you tell exactly what degree of slope you are on? Okay, now, translate that into percentage of slope. Now drive forward. Hope that slope is smooth or else the liquid filled gauge WILL fluctuate.

IMHO by the time you realize that you have exceeded the maximum slope while intently studying your little gauge, you will usually be able to easily confirm it by the amount of roll-over damage to your vehicle...

FWIW, your last remark about using your "feelings" to determine when to ease off seems more sensible than reading that tiny gauge...

Off-roading sure is fun!

Ed
Old 05-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

As any good NAVY SEAL will tell you, your posistion in the universe is your 6th sense. You must always be aware of the grade before it becomes an issue. A diver never goes under and uses anything more then 75% of his air. Even in hostile missions the instruction is to never go below 25% before RTB - (return to base).

Any good Marine foll0ws the same code - Don't dispense all of your munitions. If a trail is that dangerous you must walk it first. On many trail rides we take baking soda and mark areas of concern or OIL -(OVER INCLINE LIMIT) then based on the drivers and spotters joint skill & experience we proceed.

The basic rule of the trail (AND POSTED AT THE MAIN GATE TO THE RUBICON - THIS NATIONS BEST TRAIL) Donot outdrive your experience!!
Old 05-04-2003, 05:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hummer Man:
"As any good NAVY SEAL will tell you... do not outdrive your experience!!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Took the liberty of editing your quote just a little, but your posting was really quite interesting, although unintelligible. How exactly do these comments relate to that silly little gauge? Are these gauges issued to all Navy Seals? What do Navy Seals have to do with 4-wheeling? Do you carry a gauge with you while walking the trail and marking the OIL's? Now that would make sense!

Does the "don't outdrive" basic rule "over-rule" the gauge?

Ed

Time for me to go back through Jim Allen's bible again...