H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-01-2003, 09:16 PM

valkolton is off the scale

I have been searching high and low to find a way around relocating the head unit and having to pay so much $$$ to install a stereo in the H2.

I finally found that PAC is coming out with the OS-2-BOSE kit that will allow the Onstar, After-market head unit, and bose amplifier to work without any fancy modifications. You can also add the SWI-X to retain your steering wheel controls.

So, I decided to wait 1-2 weeks for this interface to come out and install my system on my own. I will let you know how easy it is with this new kit. I decided on the Clarion VRX935VD unit, since it has touch-screen, MP3, 7" LCD, and DVD all in one package.

I figured the savings of installing it myself would more than pay for going with a top-of-the line head unit!

Cheers!

Val

2003 Orange H2, Viper Responder Alarm, Audiobahn Sound, 325/65R20 M/T tires on order from Toyo, 20" Monsta Wheels, Rosen Video
Old 04-01-2003, 09:16 PM

I have been searching high and low to find a way around relocating the head unit and having to pay so much $$$ to install a stereo in the H2.

I finally found that PAC is coming out with the OS-2-BOSE kit that will allow the Onstar, After-market head unit, and bose amplifier to work without any fancy modifications. You can also add the SWI-X to retain your steering wheel controls.

So, I decided to wait 1-2 weeks for this interface to come out and install my system on my own. I will let you know how easy it is with this new kit. I decided on the Clarion VRX935VD unit, since it has touch-screen, MP3, 7" LCD, and DVD all in one package.

I figured the savings of installing it myself would more than pay for going with a top-of-the line head unit!

Cheers!

Val

2003 Orange H2, Viper Responder Alarm, Audiobahn Sound, 325/65R20 M/T tires on order from Toyo, 20" Monsta Wheels, Rosen Video
Old 04-01-2003, 09:17 PM

Links to PAC for misc. interface kits (I think they are coming out with an Aux-in adapter soon too!):

http://www.go2pac.com/products/onstar.htm

Old 04-02-2003, 04:33 AM

VU is off the scale

Nice simple soulutions to upgrading your sound system, while saving money for other H2 parts... haha.

Please keep us posted on your install, am thinking I might go the same route..

Found the head unit for about $1,400.

Aloha.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:15 AM

I found the head unit new for $1294 from http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...s.jsp?cid=3134

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VU:
Nice simple soulutions to upgrading your sound system, while saving money for other H2 parts... haha.

Please keep us posted on your install, am thinking I might go the same route..

Found the head unit for about $1,400.

Aloha.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 04-02-2003, 05:00 PM

VU is off the scale

Alright!,

Let the price slashing begin. Will keep on looking myself, do you know how the company is at Hookeontronics.com?

Aloha.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:31 PM

Florida. I also found it on ebay for $1269...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VU:
Alright!,

Let the price slashing begin. Will keep on looking myself, do you know how the company is at Hookeontronics.com?

Aloha.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 04-02-2003, 10:11 PM

vlad is off the scale

How about GPS, will you be able to add??
Old 04-03-2003, 11:01 PM

Yes, two ways: Clarion's GPS unit or via the video input. I am going to use my laptop or Pocket PC to power the screen and provide GPS navigation for under $400!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vlad:
How about GPS, will you be able to add??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 04-03-2003, 11:04 PM

VU is off the scale

Ohh, I can't wait to see those pictures.

How about power source for the Laptop or Pocket PC?
Old 04-03-2003, 11:33 PM

For my dell notebook and Xbox, I am using a universal clamp that either attaches to my laptop docking station or Xbox (whichever one I want in the Video station under the back seat).

I got this invertor/game plate to power the Xbox/Laptop:
http://www.loudaudio.com/loudaudio_videomobile.html

Optiview
AVA13 Easy Plug-N-Go Game Plate with 150 Watt Inverter
Built-in 12 V to 110V converter Easy plug in harness Front panel on/off switch Built-In cooling fan Dimensions (H x W): 3.375” x 3.75”

Price per item $55.86

How about power source for the Laptop or Pocket PC?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 04-03-2003, 11:42 PM

Almost forgot - for the control of the laptop, I am going to mount a touchpad near the center console (still haven't decided on the location):

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by valkolton:
For my dell notebook and Xbox, I am using a universal clamp that either attaches to my laptop docking station or Xbox (whichever one I want in the Video station under the back seat).

I got this invertor/game plate to power the Xbox/Laptop:
http://www.loudaudio.com/loudaudio_videomobile.html
http://www.loudaudio.com/cgi-local/s...ages/AVA13.jpg
Optiview
AVA13 Easy Plug-N-Go Game Plate with 150 Watt Inverter
Built-in 12 V to 110V converter Easy plug in harness Front panel on/off switch Built-In cooling fan Dimensions (H x W): 3.375” x 3.75”

Price per item $55.86

How about power source for the Laptop or Pocket PC?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2003 Orange H2, Viper Responder Alarm, Audiobahn Sound, 325/65R20 M/T tires on order from Toyo, 20" Monsta Wheels, Rosen Video<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 04-03-2003, 11:43 PM

And the software I will run:

http://www.gnetcanada.com/digitaldash.htm

WHAT IS DIGITAL DASH?
The Digital Dash Auto PC Menu System is software designed to run on the G-NET Aurora, Revolution and Memphis Auto PC's. Using a PC at home or in the office is an easy task, but imagine using the same Windows interface in the car while driving. Digital Dash is our software solution that increases safety, productivity and ease of use.
The Digital Dash Auto PC Menu System gives users one click access to the most popular applications on the Auto PC. Large easy to read buttons that link to the MP3 Player, Video Player, DVD Player (if applicable), GPS Navigation Software, and 3D visualizations are featured on the main screen. Smaller less used buttons linking to the volume control, internet, scheduler and calculator can also be found in the Digital Dash interface. Digital Dash loads with the Windows shell and offers one button access to the standard Windows user interface if required.

RUN ANY WINDOWS XP COMPATIBLE APPLICATION IN YOUR CAR!
The Aurora, Revolution & Memphis Auto PC's are built on the Windows XP platform. Using a Windows based platform allows for an open software architecture and complete compatibility with the most popular software. Windows XP also allows users to install and use common applications they use at home and work on the road.

Old 04-04-2003, 05:00 PM

AcidNastyH2 is off the scale

Valkotron,
Curious why you are using a 12v DC to 110v AC converter? You laptop and PocketPC power supplies will then just convert the 110vAC back to dc. Why not use cigarette ligher / airplane connectors that are available for the laptop and PocketPC. I think yo can get those for the XBOX as well.
Just curious...
Old 04-04-2003, 05:25 PM

Good point! The reason I decided is that the DC adapter for the Notebook is $100, Pocket PC $30, and Xbox is ???... Bottom line is cost and flexibility to use any device. The Inverter is only $60. But, I may get the DC adapters anyhow if I am permanently using the device in the truck - thanks for pointing that out!