H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 08-08-2003, 09:42 PM

hinten is off the scale

Since MAC is always straight up with his opinions I'll try to do the same here...

These recent posts have to be the most disingenious recommendations on how to design a car. Eliminating small features and lowering small quality aspects is exactly what is killing American car manufacturers when compared to some foreign products.
Look at it, MAC says all of it is unimportant but the clothes hooks are essential TO ME. I bet you that I can find people that would say the exact same thing about the other little features.
When you combine all minor cost savings and look at the elimination of a group of small features my impression of the car and the manufacturer changes. What a ****ing cheap way to run a business. Cars, for me, are a product that I buy for a big portion because of emotional reasons. If you try to sell me a car that was designed purely based on cost effectiveness I will not buy it. Especially, a car like a H2 is an emotional purchase. I am very close to being turned off to Hummer if some of y'alls assumptions are true because it shows such a lack of committment and true design, build, and customer care.

Let me give you another example why running your business on pure cost cutting and operational efficiencies is not the way to go. Particularly when you are talking about a market space that is not commoditized such as the H2 market space.
Airline travel. Every business student thought it was the greatest example of operational efficiencies when United cut the olive out of drinks to save 5 cents which translated into millions of $s over years. To me, that was the beginning of the end of barable air travel. SouthWest was the final the kiss of death.

Again, some of this is fine when you are participating in a commoditized market space where the vendor's only differentiator is price. Cars, and luxury cars especially are not sold into that market and to manage the operation in such a way is deadly.

Cheap GM ****ers.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:23 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

But you have already voted. You paid $50K+ as asked, I did, we all waited in line. YOU proved Hummer was right to eliminated these little items. I agree with the elimination of all these little things, except the cloth hangers, as I have stated in previous post in this topic. I opened the hood maybe 30 times already, never needed that hood prop. It looks nicer without console tray, 2 tone or all black steering wheel doesn't matter, etc... All very good design decisions, except the hangers.

Hummer didn't save money on the big and important stuffs.

BTW, Southwest and Jet Blue are the only successful airlines, chosen by millions of consumers with their money. You may be too young to fly before the deregulation in the '80s, it was very expensive to fly. Now you see all kinds of people from all walks of life and children. The people benefited.

And GM is currently the most successful automobile company in the world, they came back.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:59 AM

hinten is off the scale

You're right about the profitability of Southwest and JetBlue. I should have been clearer about this. They have a viable business model. The consumer that flies once a year to Cancun for Spring break or once a year cross-country for Thanksgiving is probably happy with the offering. If you are a 100k mile member you are probably not.
Different strokes for different folks.
Where is your price break for a car where you don't want to hear about cutting corners anymore? When you spend $120k on a Ferrari you get a real leather bound toolkit, should Ferrari cut that out because it could save $150?
When you buy an FX45 you get a full set of luggage. What a waste, I have a suitcase from Costco.
Do you think spending $50k on a car and you get no Nav, cheap plastic, no clothes hooks, getting your head chopped off when you open the hood when the car is parked on a hill, is acceptable?

Yes, I paid the full price for my H2 and I am enjoying it but that doesn't keep me from having an opinion.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:44 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

hinten, your opinion is worth as much as my opinion, we are talking as any friends would talk, and just as friends talk, we don't have to change the others' minds. In fact, if we agree, that would be the end of the conversation. Disagreement does not have to be arguement.

During the first month of Hummer ownership, there were a few points which I was disappointed with, such as lack of navigation LCD, etc. I also got used to Hummer pretty fast and accept it as is, which is exceptionally high quality American automobile. $50K price put Hummer in the middle range of today's SUVs, some may feel short changed, but I just happened to think I got every penny worth and more. It is just right, nothing extra is needed(I have cloth hangers ).

[This message was edited by MAC on 08-09-03 at 12:34 AM.]
Old 08-09-2003, 01:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

prplprowlr is off the scale

Well, we can't do anything about us newer H2 owners getting shafted out these ten small items but there are a few I want. Will Anybody please post pictures of these items fi you have them on your H2?? Please!! I would like to see them and then decide if I would want to order them. I have an excellent part guy here at a local dealer that can get me the part numbers but the problem is it doesn't show them in the H2!
Old 08-09-2003, 02:32 PM

Gary C is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary C:
Well, I just ordered THEM, get this there are three, ......... That's what the parts guy told me, so we ordered three. Part number is #15191516 The price is $23.76 each.

Wonder where the third one goes if there is really a third hook, will find out next week. It is the complete handle assembly. This is what I have been told. Will report back with photos and info.

Have a safe weekend.

Gary

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I posted this the other day looks like you missed it.

Gary C 99 Prowler

<font color=Gray>Pewter</font>, Lux, Ventvisors, Foose Wheels, Corsa Touring Exhaust, HID's
Old 08-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

GaryC, thanks, I did see your post, but I don't think Hummer is actively selling the handles. $24 is a steal for 3 handles, wonder why 3?

prplprowlr, I don't think there is a real 10 items, just a rough count for conversation. These are what I can think of.
1- Cloth hangers on rear handles. I have. Quite common.
2- Hood light. This is very rare on very few early model. Seen it once.
3- Hood Prop. Ditto. Neven seen it.
4- Center console tray. Ditto.
5- Tissue holder inside center console. Ditto. Neven seen it.
6- Coin holder. Never seen it, ditto.
7- 2 tone steering wheel vs all black. This doesn't really count.

The only item that could be useful to me beside hanger is the hood light, all others are irrelevant or superfluous. There was a topic here on the hood light with part # long ago, think it costs $5. Anyone can find it?

See the black tray on center console here? I like the current LEATHER top, that tray is superflous IMHO.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2003, 04:21 PM

Apex IV is off the scale

Mac:
What leather top? Can you elaborate and/or post a picture? Do you mean something on the '04 model?

Gary C:
Does one need to order the actual handles ore can you get just the little "clip" thingie? (yes, "thingie" IS recognized as the proper technical term these days - LOL) If/when you get yours, would you please post a picture of it/them before and after installation. A picture of the "non hanger handle", a picture or two of the handle with hanger, and pictures of where they go.

Also, any idea on how long to get them?

Thanks folks! I never imagined that this would turn into a real thread... :-)

-Randall Garrett-
Old 08-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Apex, your current matching color center console top is real LEATHER, as are all door handles, steering wheel, shifter and the grip bar for the front passenger, basically anything your hands touch. You have to put your nose on it to smell it. This is true and confirmed by Kuhl, one of the actual H2 designers.

Bob Lutz, as a new GM boss back then made 2 last minute executive design changes. One is to use real leather as center console top vs the original plastic tray used on very few early models, the other change was to imprint "12V" on the electric power outlets.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:08 PM

NCHummerman is off the scale

If you bought three clothes hanger grabs .... you may have one more than you need ... there are three inside roof grab handles, and only the two for the rear passengers have the hooks ... the front does not have a clothes hook ...

Michael
---
Pewter Hummer H2
Northern California

www.zootsuitstore.com
------------------------------------
Northern California

www.zootsuitstore.com
Old 08-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Conversation is good, through this conversation we found out:
1- Leather center console top, bet you many owners didn't know that.
2- I don't know how much leather console top costs GM, but I know for sure it costs a lot more than hooks and hood prop/light, tissue holder and coin tray. That demonstrated GM was NOT CHEAP, it was willing to spend money where it matters.

Front and rear handles are the same except the extra hooks, maybe they ran out of stock on hooked handles? we may never know the answer.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:49 PM
Hummer Novice

8MYROVER is off the scale

Simple Solution. Buy some large rubber coated "S" hooks, and hang them over the rear upper grab handles. Works better than the little ones GM puts in their other vehicles. Also can hang a clothes bar off them, and no marks on the grab handles.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:02 PM

Gary C is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Apex IV:
Gary C:
Does one need to order the actual handles ore can you get just the little "clip" thingie? (yes, "thingie" IS recognized as the proper technical term these days - LOL) If/when you get yours, would you please post a picture of it/them before and after installation. A picture of the "non hanger handle", a picture or two of the handle with hanger, and pictures of where they go.

Also, any idea on how long to get them?

Thanks folks! I never imagined that this would turn into a real thread... :-)

-Randall Garrett-<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem, ordered them from My dealer, there are three which is strange, so got them all, I should receive them about 4 days after the order(this coming week). Also they are 23 bucks and change EACH!!! Like 75 bucks for 3...They are supposed to have the hook THINGIE(lol?)on the handle,,,,, still no idea where the third thingie handle would go..... the hooks are not seperate,,, maybe GM has them seperate, didn't try that route.

Will post photos on before and after and also the hooked handle seperately.

Continue having a great weekend Y'all

<font color=Gray>Pewter</font>, Lux, Ventvisors, Foose Wheels, Corsa Touring Exhaust, HID's
Old 08-09-2003, 09:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2 007 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Two tone wheel, clothes hooks, prop rod for hood, two under hood lights, black rubber insert on top of center console .... number "000146" ordered March, 2002 ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did all this stuff go?

2003 White Hummer H2
Old 08-11-2003, 11:26 AM

JCJ is off the scale

[quote]Originally posted by MAC:
I use the ashtray as coin holder.[quote]
MAC: What ash tray? Didn't know we HAD one (or didn't have)! ISO being a non-smoker, I wonder if the ash tray is # 8 in your list of "some-do-and-some-don't-haves".
Old 08-11-2003, 11:36 AM
Hummer Veteran

prplprowlr is off the scale

Thanks for the part number, I will be buying at least 2 today and will post back on anything else I can find.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:41 AM
Hummer Novice

Colo. H2 is off the scale

The ash "tray" is a small cup with a spring loaded lid that fits in one of the two cup holders by the gear shift lever. Mine is in a desk drawer with the offroad light covers.

Red 03 Lux. & Adv.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:45 AM

The ashtray looks like a coffee cup with a lid .... made of plastic and fits into one of the cup holders ... I use mine for change also ...

Michael
---
Pewter Hummer H2
Northern California

www.zootsuitstore.com
Northern California

www.zootsuitstore.com
Old 08-11-2003, 12:02 PM

JCJ is off the scale

I wonder if the rod prop and the under hood lights are still available?
Owner manual p. 6-10:
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2003, 12:59 PM

I have a prop rod, and believe me, you do not need it ... it is more trouble than it is worth. It rattled while driving when it was in the "holder" when I first got my truck. I put a long piece of rubber under it so that I could not hear the rattle in the cockpit ... and I do not use it now. I would bet this is why it was deleted ....

Michael
---
Pewter Hummer H2
Northern California

www.zootsuitstore.com
Northern California

www.zootsuitstore.com