H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 02-10-2007, 02:26 AM
Hummer Veteran

cestwick is off the scale
Default Dealer and warranty issues....

Have any of had any problems getting your H3 repaired under warranty or denied warranty because you are running 35's? I have an issue with the front end..I believe a half shaft but they will not even diag it unless i put Factory tires back on it.
'06 H3 Shadow Green, Adventure, 6 disk Monsoon, SMA brush guard w/PIAA lights, Rocky Road extreme rocker protection, roof lights(off road), lower grill lights(off road), Helo Maxx8 Black Wheels, 35" Cooper STT, Garmin I-Que M4 to get home.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:46 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dealer and warranty issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestwick
Have any of had any problems getting your H3 repaired under warranty or denied warranty because you are running 35's? I have an issue with the front end..I believe a half shaft but they will not even diag it unless i put Factory tires back on it.

That is total crap.

1. Who is they? Dealer orGm Warranty Rep?
2. I thought you worked for a dealer?
3. What kind of issue? Symptoms?
Old 02-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
That is total crap.

1. Who is they? Dealer orGm Warranty Rep?They is the Dealer who is getting alot of pressure from Rep supposedly.
2. I thought you worked for a dealer? I worked for this dealer for 4.5 years. I don't think they are happy I left.
3. What kind of issue? Symptoms? I have a shimmy in steering wheel under a load(like takeing off from stop light) but smooth ride at steady speeds. Feels just like the older gm's did when they have a bad halfshaft. I haven't bothered looking any further into it because I figured dealer would. but they say it is because of tires. Of course I know they are blowing smoke out ass. If they thought it was a tire issue on any other vehicle they would have rotated tires and retested but they never did on mine. They will not look into further till I put factory tires back on.
Me Dealer
'06 H3 Shadow Green, Adventure, 6 disk Monsoon, SMA brush guard w/PIAA lights, Rocky Road extreme rocker protection, roof lights(off road), lower grill lights(off road), Helo Maxx8 Black Wheels, 35" Cooper STT, Garmin I-Que M4 to get home.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Hummer Guru

I have had the exact same symptoms. They did rotate and balance until they found the bad tire, then they made it the spare.

I still have the wobble when I first take off, then at 50,60, and 70 mph. anything in between is fine.

Honestly though, as much rock crawling I have done, I would not be surprised if all my tires had a certain amount of damage.

But the halfshaft theory is interesting. I'll have to look that up.

I think you know that as far as warranty is concerned, half shafts and tie rods are never replaced.

But having you return it to stock.....that's just a dare....call HUMMER.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:41 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
I have had the exact same symptoms. They did rotate and balance until they found the bad tire, then they made it the spare.

I still have the wobble when I first take off, then at 50,60, and 70 mph. anything in between is fine.

Honestly though, as much rock crawling I have done, I would not be surprised if all my tires had a certain amount of damage.

But the halfshaft theory is interesting. I'll have to look that up.

I think you know that as far as warranty is concerned, half shafts and tie rods are never replaced. Unless things have changed in the 3 months since i work at a GM dealer there woud be no reason that either the halfshaft or tie rod ends would not be replaced under warranty on a truck with 8200 miles on it that except for 2 dealership off road events has never left the pavement.

But having you return it to stock.....that's just a dare....call HUMMER.

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:09 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

You may not like the answer, but I believe the dealer is acting correctly.
From a GM point of view, if the dealer charges GM for warranty work by rotating tires to find the problem, and it is a tire, GM just paid for your aftermarket tires to be diagnosed.
The dealer is not saying they won't cover under warranty, they will not diagnose with non-factory installed tires.
Bebe, evidently goes to a great dealer. But I know of many dealers who will not diagnose a vibration that could be caused by aftermarket tires, and why should they.

I know of people who have gone in with other vehicles with vibration issues, and with aftermarket tires. The dealer diagnosed an aftermarket tire at fault, and when the customer was hit with the bill, they yelled and screamed. They actually thought GM should pay the bill for their defective tire; that they purchased, not GM.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:26 AM
Hummer Guru

True, I do have a great dealer.

They mounted and balanced the aftermarket tires. They discovered the bad tire when I asked them to re-balance and rotate the tires, which I pay for every 7K miles or so. (or after a hard offroad trip). I always pay for an allignment as well.

So they do not do it for free. In my case it was an incidental finding.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
You may not like the answer, but I believe the dealer is acting correctly.
From a GM point of view, if the dealer charges GM for warranty work by rotating tires to find the problem, and it is a tire, GM just paid for your aftermarket tires to be diagnosed.
The dealer is not saying they won't cover under warranty, they will not diagnose with non-factory installed tires.
Bebe, evidently goes to a great dealer. But I know of many dealers who will not diagnose a vibration that could be caused by aftermarket tires, and why should they. I agree and disagree. I may not have included all the facts about the tires. I bought the tires from the dealer and they were installed on the truck before I bought it. When I bought the truck I also bought the "tire and Wheel "package they offer that covers tires and wheels if damaged. The dealer also offers free rotates and road hazard on tires you buy from them.

I know of people who have gone in with other vehicles with vibration issues, and with aftermarket tires. The dealer diagnosed an aftermarket tire at fault, and when the customer was hit with the bill, they yelled and screamed. They actually thought GM should pay the bill for their defective tire; that they purchased, not GM. I am very well aware that "GM" is in no way responsable for my tires.

I originally brought the truck in for a bad Wobble (side to side movement in the steering wheel) under a load(such as taking off from stop). I also had a slight growl noise from front end. After a week I got the truck back and they told me they found a bad bushing in T-case. They rebuilt the T-case. They stated they would not go any further in checking out the problems on my truc till I put original tires back on it.

For those that may not know I am a certified GM and Hummer tech. I left this dealer about 3 months ago as far as was expressed at the time under good standing.

As I drove the truck home niether of the issues I took it in for was fixed. Still noisy and wobble.

This evening I brought it into the shop I am at now and put it on the hoist, pulled the skid plate off and ran it. Within 5 mins I had positivly diag'd exactly what I had told the dealer I thought was wrong with it in the first place. The front diff was growling (found pinion could be moved up and down) and the left front halfshaft was bad, tripod joint on inside was not centered and was jumping around. So we will see what the dealer has to say about this.

Chris

P.S. Thankyou for your input f5fstop
Old 02-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Hummer Professional

Crash ? is on a distinguished road

Not GM related, but I took my truck in to Firestone to have the front end alligned after playing with the Tbars...

After a few hundred miles (and a tire swap) I started getting a pull to the right and the steering wheel was off center (@ 11:30).. Actually I noticed the problems before the tire swap..

I took it back into the Firestone shop and the first thing they hit me with was, "Hey you've changed the tires, it has to be a problem with the tires not being balanced or some other problems". I told 'em "fine, rebalance and look for tire problems, if it's a problem with those I'll pay you.. But I had the problem before the tire swap and I could go back home and swap the tires back out for the originals in about an hour if it would make him feel better"..

They checked the balance of the tires, they rotated the tires, they measured the tires, I think they may have even washed the tires and wheels. Turned out the camber on the right side was off by a good bit.. They told me it must have slipped when I drove over something (not that I have drove over anything big enough to cause a problem) but it was still covered under their warranty..

FWIW... The dealer shouldn't be have to be responsible for aftermarket tires, except in Bebe's case where they had ample opportunity to check and inspect the tires as they mounted and balanced them in the first place. If there was a tire defect, it should have been found then.. As far as the way Bebe tortures her poor H3 and it's tires by overloading it with all that nasty steel and draggin it over rocks. I think she knows if a problem were to pop up in one of the tires, she's responsible enopugh to step forward and go "opps, my bad, what do I owe you".

Same thing here with the problems Chris is having.. You prolly could have avoided a lot of the problems by telling them to go on and check the tires, if they are the problem you'd pay for the repair. It turns out the tires aren't the problem (as it now seems) they eat all the costs of checking the tires in the first place.

As far as GM not replacing busted half shafts.. I can think of at least one young lady that regularly tortures a Yellow H3, that has had at least one half-shaft replaced and I'm pretty sure it was done under warranty.. She's also toasted 3 or 4 front differentials and a transfer case and had those replaced under warranty if I remember correctly..
Old 02-14-2007, 01:02 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestwick

P.S. Thankyou for your input f5fstop

Oh, you are most welcome. NO more....