H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 11-13-2005, 03:05 AM

hummerdonthurtem is off the scale

FYI for those of you in cold climates. I read in the owners manual that they do not recommend using snow chains with 33" tires due to insufficient clearance. I haven't tried putting chains on my rig yet.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:28 AM

****in puss, you're in a hummer, what do you need chains for?
Old 11-13-2005, 04:48 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by shorterbus:
****in puss, you're in a hummer, what do you need chains for?

What a total SoCal puss. I bet you'd like to chain up for rain, too.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:25 AM

hummerdonthurtem is off the scale

Well you girls can kiss my *ss everytime you see a "chains required" sign. LOL.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:00 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Shhhhh....honey, everyone who is not in a four wheel drive vehicle is required to have chains.....you do not need them
Old 11-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to sound like a puss, and I doubt I would ever need to put them on but So Cal local mountains will not let anyone up the mountain 4 wheel drive or not without having chains with them. They stop you and check each vehicle. I have been turned around by the police for not having them even though I was in a 4x4.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

He's right. Going over the Donner Pass in snow in 1999 in my 4 X 4 F250, the Highway Patrol wouldn't let you proceed unless you had chains, regardless if you were in a 4 X 4 (and I had aggressive tread, mud and snow Mickey Thompson tires too). I remember a place called Tippies, just off the highway that was making a fortune selling chains of all kinds.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<span class="ev_code_RED">California Chain Law:
Types of Chain Controls
During the winter months motorists may encounter traction device controls in the mountain areas of California. When chain controls are established signs along side the road will be opened indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains are required, snow tires are allowed.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles
with snow tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
</span>

In addition, even though a 4x4 with great snow tires may get up a mountain, the downhill trip with well gripping snow tires on the front may cause the fronts to grip and spin the vehicle on its axis. This is due to the front peforming most of the stopping. (ABS may help.)
That is why, sometimes it is important to have chains on the rear of a 4x4 when going downhill. The rears will bite better than the front reducing the chances of the vehicle from spinning on its axis.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a couple of passes here in CO where you have to carry chains also. Although I have only lived out here for a couple of years, I have not had to use chains once, however, there were a couple of times where ICE was so bad, I realy would have through them on if I had them.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If concerned about rubbing and clearance issues you can get the cable style and they are much quieter
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 11-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Hummer Guru

The Green Lantern is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by f5fstop:
<span class="ev_code_RED">California Chain Law:
There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains are required, snow tires are allowed.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles
with snow tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
</span>

That is why, sometimes it is important to have chains on the rear of a 4x4 when going downhill. The rears will bite better than the front reducing the chances of the vehicle from spinning on its axis.

- thanks f5fstop for the info...
Old 11-13-2005, 05:52 PM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a warning about the cable type chains, I used them once on my wifes new trailblazer going thru oregon last year. They broke and scratched the hell out of the side of the truck. Of couse the company says, not their fault, so sorry. And yes I installed them correctly so don't start!
Old 11-14-2005, 01:14 AM
Hummer Veteran

JeffW is off the scale

The attitude that 4x4's don't need chains has ruined my weekend several times, mostly recently... yesterday. Tried to go to Paradise (Mt. Rainier, WA) Saturday. The road was plowed and chains are required to be carried (but not put on). But the road was closed. The ranger said they closed it because too many "4x4 yahoos" (his words) went spinning off the road due to ice. Driving with chains is like driving on rails in these conditions.

These people also get stuck in deep snow and cause trail traffic jams. After spending an hour in one such jam, I was able to plow past the offender with no problem in my Durango with cable chains, even though I had 1/2 the clearance and 1/2 the rubber of this lifted 4WD truck.

There are a number of options for vehicles with low wheel clearance. The H3 with 33's still has way more clearance than most cars. Z cable chains are one. Although, I had a Dodge Durango with 32's, after 1 season with Z chains, they chewed the heck out of my sidewalls. I now use Spikes Spiders on my Audi (manual also says can't use chains). These things are great. They are a bit pricey ($400) but are worth every penny if you use them frequently. Chains are a royal pain to put on and take off (and you're bound to get wet, muddy, and numb). With Spikes Spiders you just mount an attachment plate at the start of winter (I just did it Friday, took 10 min.), then putting the spikes on (and removing) is an easy operation on the road that takes a matter of seconds, no reaching behind the wheel. It looks like the SPXXXXL (4 X's)should fit, but verify. I'll be getting them again when I get my H3.

Anyway, don't be another 4x4 in a ditch that everyone laughs at.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2005, 04:51 AM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Yeah, who are the idiots here saying only pussies need chains? Try driving through the Blue Mountains in Eastern Oregon in the middle of the winter. Or over White Pass on Hwy 12 in Washington, or the Siskyous in N Cali, or driving up to Mt. Baker (WA) or Timberline (OR) to go skiing...

Two years ago I was driving through the Blue's stopped on the side of the road putting chains on my suburban when some jacka$$ in a dodge pulling a camper trailer went by at 50-60mph. Sure enough, 3 miles down the road he was upside down , backwards, about 50 ft off the road. I've got video of that whole thing + us spinning out a little while later even with the chains - anyone who says chains are for pussies obviously hasn't driven in any kind on *real* weather...
Old 11-14-2005, 06:12 AM

S2KtoH3 is off the scale

Pussies need chains? Sounds like someones really got the SUV syndrome.

Anyone who has been through a winter in the mountains of the West coast states can tell you that during a winter storm, your not going to be moving much far without some chains or cables. Even driving up to the local So Cal mountains like Big Bear is difficult without chains during a winter storm. California mountian roads are steep and windy. Any SMART person would put chains on when required.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:11 AM
Hummer Guru

Are there spiders made for the off-road size tires?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Chains help but for ice, studded tires are needed. I've used chains in deep deep snow, and they work, they're certainly a pain. If it's icy, they're certainly needed if you can't run studs. When snow gets packed by traffic, it's icy. Fresh snow, without anyone else on it is usually no problem for reasonably siped tires. Agressive mud and snow tires lack proper siping and are actually worse in snow than a well siped all terrain or purpose made tires like the Blizzaks (sp?)
Old 11-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

JeffW is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by f5fstop:

I don't have 1st-hand experience with tires this size, but according to the web site, these should fit. They don't list the 285/75/16, but they list the SPXXXXL for 295/75/16, as well as the 275/70/16. Since the 285/75/16 lands in between those two, it seems it should fit fine. You just add or remove chain links to make the diameter fit just right. However, before I'd buy, I would call to make sure.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

TimJ is off the scale

Has anyone tried these out:

http://www.flextrax.com/
Old 11-14-2005, 09:52 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:

I don't have 1st-hand experience with tires this size, but according to the web site, these should fit. They don't list the 285/75/16, but they list the SPXXXXL for 295/75/16, as well as the 275/70/16. Since the 285/75/16 lands in between those two, it seems it should fit fine. You just add or remove chain links to make the diameter fit just right. However, before I'd buy, I would call to make sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would definitely call first. I always thought these spiders were made to fit exact.