H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 03-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

Ma\'Deuce is off the scale

I stopped in the local linex shop today and inquired about getting my grille coated. nice guy(kid)by the way. i asked for a price and told him it was a coated plastic grill, then i got a blank stare for a minute. he said they have some trouble with linex sticking to plastic. in particular, cromed plastic. even if he roughed it up, he said he wouldn't be able to warrenty it. anyone else have this discussion? he asked if i could get it primed first then he would have something pourus to stick/adhere to. i can see where he's coming from, but wondered about painted surfaces. he said plastic is what gives them problems, and paint on cars is actually a polymer right? i wanted to email Line-X corperate and ask the question and get a letter back maybe that i'd be able to take into him, but their site doesn't have a "contact us" button. any ideas? thanks.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

MxHonda is off the scale

All he has to do is scuff it just like the bed of a truck. That is what they did to mine. On the back where they did not scuff it there was overspray that I could NOT get to peel off. I was told by my LineX guy that very flexible plastic can be tough to coat because it can break the bond when it flexes.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Have him call Eric with Line-X in Rocklin CA. He'll walk him thru it.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

mudderducker is off the scale

no problems here either. I went to the same guy that does all of Sewell's hummers. he said they played around with nearly everything on the h3, including rims, mirrors, door handles, you name it. it ain't coming off!

Land Rover Convert - H3 ADV

http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/
http://www.ducks.org/
http://www.joincca.org/

Old 03-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Hummer Veteran

Ma\'Deuce is off the scale

Hey thanks guys. as long as the kid can get reassurance from somone else that has done it, i'm sure he won't have a problem. I'll get the number for the shop in Cali. and have him call. He did say he's done a lot of trucks with a "4x4"package. around 400bucks! he does the fenders, grill and bumper and a rocker protection along the bottom of the doors and rocker panels. seemed steep, but then he got into the masking of the entire vehicle and i understood where the price came from. I think i'll just have him do the grill for now and see how his work turns out.
Hey MxHonda, where on ebay did you get the letters for the grill? i've been looking, but haven't seen the cheap ones you explained. looks sweet by the way.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

MxHonda is off the scale

Ma'Deuce,

They can be found here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3D-HUMMER-LOGO-NEW-OEM-H...temZ8044366387QQrdZ1
Old 03-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Ma'Deuce:
Hey thanks guys. as long as the kid can get reassurance from somone else that has done it, i'm sure he won't have a problem. I'll get the number for the shop in Cali. and have him call. He did say he's done a lot of trucks with a "4x4"package. around 400bucks! he does the fenders, grill and bumper and a rocker protection along the bottom of the doors and rocker panels. seemed steep, but then he got into the masking of the entire vehicle and i understood where the price came from. I think i'll just have him do the grill for now and see how his work turns out.
Hey MxHonda, where on ebay did you get the letters for the grill? i've been looking, but haven't seen the cheap ones you explained. looks sweet by the way.

Make sure he uses the "finest" spray tip. Eric will explain it. The whole job on my truck was $850.
That included all the outer body plastic, 4 fenders, Brush guard, Rock Rails and the hood piece.I did all the dis-assembly and re-assembly. It also included a "top coat" Do that too, it will help prevent fading.

Good luck! Can't wait to see it!