CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Land Use Battle - San Diego

Important Read for Elcovans.

A battle looms on off-road land use
4,000 acres to be sold to state, trust says
By Michael Gardner
COPLEY NEWS SERVICE
July 8, 2006
SACRAMENTO ? Conflicting interests are preparing to duel over whether off-road riding should be allowed on 4,000 acres of wide-open terrain neighboring Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, now that the property seems assured of being transferred to state ownership.

The Trust for Public Land announced yesterday that it would hand the checkerboard parcels over to the state for more than $1.3 million, clearing the way for an environmental assessment of the properties rich in rare wildlife, unusual palm oases and American Indian artifacts. I

dcmaxversion = 9dcminversion = 6DoOn Error Resume Nextplugin = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFl ash." & dcmaxversion & "")))If plugin = true Then Exit Dodcmaxversion = dcmaxversion - 1Loop While dcmaxversion >= dcminversion?The challenge will be coming up with a management plan that fully protects the important cultural and biological resources while allowing the appropriate amount of recreation,? said Alex Tynberg, who oversaw the sale for the trust, a nonprofit national organization dedicated to land conservation.

The deal, pulled together over more than two years, must still be sealed this summer by an obscure state agency called the Public Works Board, but its approval is considered likely.
The environmental review will guide policy-makers as they determine whether off-road vehicle use should be allowed to continue as it has for the past 50 years. Riders say they have done little harm in the barren backcountry.

My perspective: Screw 'em. Even if they make a law not to wheel there, I'm gonna wheel anyway. So I pay a couple hundred bucks if I get caught. I consider it a cost of wheeling, just like buying new tie rods.

?We are hoping we can show that environmental resources can be protected,? said Roy Denner, president of the Off-Road Business Association. ?It's a relatively small area that has artifacts we need to think about.?
As today's closing date for the purchase drew near, supporters of the Anza-Borrego Foundation and Institute ?put their hearts and souls? into a last-ditch campaign to raise the money itself but fell short, said foundation President Diana Lindsay.
?To say they are disappointed is an understatement,? Lindsay said.
The Anza-Borrego Foundation and Institute is expected to call on the Public Works Board to close the property to riders until the environmental analysis is completed as a condition of approving the sale.

It's doubtful that state parks Director Ruth Coleman would agree to close off the property immediately, said Roy Stearns, her spokesman. ?We feel we can allow some continued use and put up protections for important archaeological sites, like fencing,? he said.

My Perspective: What the heck is a woman doing in a "director's" position? Shouldn't the offroading issues be left to the men to decide?

Under pressure as housing developments inch closer, some environmentalists and off-roaders had struck an uneasy truce in May to tap a $1 million account raised by taxes on riders to help buy the land. Federal money also will be used. The parties were worried that a developer would snap up the land, leaving it unprotected and closed to riders.
The parcels, owned by the Freeman family, are in a region near Anza-Borrego and the Ocotillo Wells off-road area. The parcels are scattered throughout a 14,700-acre area known as Truckhaven/Desert Cahuilla that offers riders 250 miles of roads and trails in pristine backcountry.
In addition to the diverse wildlife, more than 75 sites of archaeological or historic significance have been identified, including at least 10 that are eligible for the National Register of Historic Places, according to the state.

My Perspective: Archaeological significance? That only thing significant about dinosaur bones is that they give excellent traction in the sand.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Land Use Battle - San Diego

NIce Find CO. I always try to keep a acouple spare Dino Bones in my tool kit. You never know when you may need them.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgco
NIce Find CO. I always try to keep a acouple spare Dino Bones in my tool kit. You never know when you may need them.

Good kindling too! So many uses.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why don't they just put up more signs to define the limits of the trails if they want to protect the area and ensure people don't drive into non trail areas? Or maybe they could put up a guard rail. They could pay for all these improvements with a few advertisement signs posted alongside the trail. Talk about a captive audience, imagine being in a group of mixed OHV's and your the lucky guy right behind some less capable vehicle or driver. You probably would wind up starring at that sign for a good 2 hours.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a good idea, brklyn. I'm for more signs as well. Surely those Kalifornians can read a few words on a sign, right?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Hummer Guru

Yeah, I mean if they wan't to be more green about it, I don't see why they can't just put the signs on some trees that are already there.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Hummer Messiah

Yeah, just a spike or two is all it would take.

Better yet, so as not to injure the trees, why not just spray paint arrows right on the trees where it's possible? Or maybe run barbed wire from tree to tree. Hell, that's keep me on the trail for sure!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Hummer Guru

barbed wire? How auschwitz of you Ken.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLYNH2
barbed wire? How auschwitz of you Ken.
Yeah, that's maybe not the best idea. Maybe just thick steel cable pulled reeeaal tight around the trees so people couldn't lift them up and out of the way.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Hummer Expert

OldHiker is an unknown quantity at this point

That's not good. After a few years of that cable wrapped around the tree all you will have left is a tree cut in half and a dangerous kink in the cable. Use a j bolt through the tree. This way the cable doesn't get ruined. Think of winch cable and how it gets kinked and useless.