H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 02-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

tony d is an unknown quantity at this point

I noticed once in a while when I turn the key in the ignition , the truck hesitates then starts causing the radios clock to reset? any thoughts on this ?
Old 02-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

I noticed once in a while when I turn the key in the ignition , the truck hesitates then starts causing the radios clock to reset? any thoughts on this ?
Old 02-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a dying battery. It's happened to me and many others too.

I've wondered why the battery would still have enough juice to turn the engine over but the clocts/computer has reset. Perhaps they have a low current shutoff protection that kicks in when there's still enough current left to barely start the truck.

If it's happening regularly, get a new battery soon.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go with an optima...They rock. Sams club has em for $130redtop and I think $160 for the Yellowtop.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds more like an intermittent open in the electrical system. This could be caused by a bad connection on the battery's positive or negative terminal, or the main ground from the battery.
Reason I say this is not based on any fact, other than if the vehicle can pull the amps to start, there are plenty of amps to keep the clock going. (Starter draws amps...radio draws micro amps.)
Another reason is you say it hesitates; therefore, I'm thinking the hesitation is due to a drop in the amps being drawn by the starter, but not long enough to actually stop it from spinning (or gives that appearance), but a split second dead circuit (positive or ground), will blank out the radio clock.

I would take a close look at the two main grounds from the battery and make sure they are tight. One ground is in the engine compartment, mounted to the LF inner fender just behind the battery. The other ground is in the engine compartment, left side of the engine block in front of the starter.

This may not be the problem, but that is where I would start; especially if it is intermittent. Intermittent problems are a SOB to troubleshoot.

Replacing a battery without first having it tested is an expensive, possible non-repair. If you wanted to replace with an Optima, I would agree, since they have a great reputation, but if you don't want to, or need to (still under warranty), then why pay that cost, and it might not be the problem.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
Another reason is you say it hesitates; therefore, I'm thinking the hesitation is due to a drop in the amps being drawn by the starter, but not long enough to actually stop it from spinning (or gives that appearance), but a split second dead circuit (positive or ground), will blank out the radio clock.
... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

f5, wouldn't you see this symptom if the battery were marginal? When I saw this problem on my H2, the remote unlock worked okay indicating the computers/whatever are running okay. But when I turned the key, it started sluggishly and at that point all sorts of relays clicked then the dash lit up and the clock read 12:00AM. This sounds consistent with a momentary "dead circuit" from the perspective of the stereo.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ree:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

f5, wouldn't you see this symptom if the battery were marginal? When I saw this problem on my H2, the remote unlock worked okay indicating the computers/whatever are running okay. But when I turned the key, it started sluggishly and at that point all sorts of relays clicked then the dash lit up and the clock read 12:00AM. This sounds consistent with a momentary "dead circuit" from the perspective of the stereo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you would. But he said it hesitates, not sluggish and then the vehicle started ok. If he had said it started sluggishly, I would have recommended a trip to get the battery tested. What sometimes will happen is when you approach the car, the low current draw devices work great, then you start the vehicle. Since the starter is wired to the battery, the starter pulls all the current, and the rest of the components don't get anything, the BCM clicks internal relays (as well as some external relays), then shuts down for a second, and the the vehicle starts, and the battery power is restored to the other components. This usually indicates a dead cell; unless the battery is low due to other reasons.

He also said it is intermittent. When a battery's cell shorts out, it stays shorted out, and usually on a cold start you will have a sluggish start until the battery is replaced.
I'm not totally discounting the battery, but if this happened to me a few times, I would be under the hood looking at the battery connections for tightness, then the two major grounds from the battery. If everything was ok, then a trip to the dealer or to work to connect a charging/starting system tester.

But you do bring up some good points, so now I should ask tony d:
Is it a sluggish start, or a full powered start once the starter starts cranking?
Define, "once in a while."

If if it always a sluggish start, ree has a good point. If not, I would again do the checks I mentioned earlier, and if all is well, head to the dealer and have them put their starter/charging tester to see if it show anything.
As with any intermittent, it may show ok. But a bad battery is very very hard to hide from these testers.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:21 AM
Hummer Veteran

a full power start, it like you turn the the key fully to the start position and nothing happens then all of a sudden it starts up but resets the stereo clock to 12:00.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:49 AM
Hummer Guru

Sounds just like a normal start? If so, check the grounds and connectors at the battery. If not there, it could be any number of things from a bad connection somewhere else in the main circuits to an intermitten BCM or PCM.