H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 09-17-2006, 01:29 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ran into another H3 with my problem yesterday ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Ok, you guys got me, in the past two days, I have noticed this groaning from the left rear brake; not a grinding, but more of a groaning when coming to a stop under heavy pressure. Slow stopping does not bring on the noise, only heavy or very heavy.
At this point I am not sure what it is, but it is not due to a warped rotor, this was confirmed today.
Personally, I'm leaning toward the inside the rotor's hat park brake assembly, and the brake shoes rotating on a dry backing plate. (L-Series Saturns had the same rear park brake system, and the same type of groaning noise; not as loud, but similar.) In other words, the park brake shoes are hanging up. This could explain why the rotor is removed and turned and reinstalled, the noise goes away due to the freeing up of the park brake assembly when the rotor is removed.
If it is the park brake, it would not cause a braking problem, only an aggravating noise problem.

I am trying to schedule the H3 brake service engineer to come over to my facility and let's tear into this and figure out exactly what it is.
This will take a few days, but I'll keep you informed.

Any word from the service engineer?
Im getting a little groan again
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:56 AM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto
Ohhhh noooo. Bummer! I still bet it's a rotor problem. I spoke to one of the two service managers today at the first dealer who couldn't figure out or fix my problem. I told him what the OTHER dealer found and fixed (he didn't ask). Then, I told him I ran into another H3 owner last week who had the same problem as I had. After I finished talking he said, "Yeah, we had a few come in after yours with the same problem you had described." It sounds to me that more H3 owners are experiencing it now...and this is only one dealer. Keep us updated! Maybe f5fstop will find out soon and post what his 3 is doing.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Any word from the service engineer?

Nope and it will be a while. Only thing we have done is verified it is a noise and does not affect braking capabilities, or at least any we can determine. I feel no pull, vehicle stops ok, brakes don't lock up.

Personally, I'm thinking it is a park brake groan, someone else thinks it is the disc brake pad material or caliper piston resonance, someone thinks it is normal resonance from brake operation that is not isolated as it should be, and someone else thinks it is a suspension noise and not a brake noise.

Some say turning a rotor fixes the problem, but to turn a rotor, all these items on the brake system are affected when the rotor is removed. Braking surface is affected, park brake system inside the rotor hat is affected, and caliper piston is affected. So, if removing the rotor causes a temporary fix, what in that procedure is the real fix.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Hummer Guru

Thanks F5. I can live with it for now.
I know you will inspect it further because it will drive you nuts.
We are counting on you for a fix.

How could the dealer call it normal
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Thanks F5. I can live with it for now.
I know you will inspect it further because it will drive you nuts.
We are counting on you for a fix.

How could the dealer call it normal
X2
Old 09-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Hummer Guru

My wife just left with the 3. I put the ebrake on 1/2 down told her to back down to swoop spot(100ft) then foward to road (100 feet) then release brake and see if its better.Maybe a build up of rust on drum, it couldn't hurt.

I also put some white spray grease on e brake cable under door and on backing plate spring/lever.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:41 PM
Hummer Guru

Grrrrooooaaaaaannnnn Still groaning . I just turn up the radio and I dont here the noise,maybe the groan is caused by radio not being on.

Its normal
Attached Images

Last edited by fourfourto : 09-17-2006 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:37 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Grrrrooooaaaaaannnnn Still groaning . I just turn up the radio and I dont here the noise,maybe the groan is caused by radio not being on. Its normal

Oooookay, fourfourto! What ever makes you happy! LOL! Crank that XM up and for sure you won't hear that groaaaaan. BUT, you're still gonna feel it in the brake pedal! It IS an annoying groan, too! I know. I couldn't stand it. Just before braking, I'd clench my teeth and just get ready for that sound. Sure enough, it never disappointed me .. it would be there just as I came to a complete stop. Ugh. So far, so good for me!! Going on week four, no noise.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

My groan could be different than your groan. Mine only happens on a hard stop; just before the vehicle actually comes to a complete stop, and I can feel nothing in the brake pedal. For me to hear, I have to have the radio off...
Old 09-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
My groan could be different than your groan. Mine only happens on a hard stop; just before the vehicle actually comes to a complete stop, and I can feel nothing in the brake pedal. For me to hear, I have to have the radio off...
Mine only happened on a hard stop, too. But, after a while, it didn't HAVE to be a hard stop .. it was on any COMPLETE stop (not a rolling stop.. or, as we call those here, California stops .. ). It would depend on how hot the brakes were getting. I could feel something in the brake pedal when I'd hear the sound. I felt uneasy with it. Towards the end of my complaints .. prior to the 'fix', I swear I could feel the vehicle not want to stop completely .. it felt as if it would move 1 half inch forward. I thought the brakes were beginning to slip. Not a secure feeling, expecially after going downhill and having cars in front of you. So far, so good for me! I hope it's gone forever!
Old 09-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm3
Mine only happened on a hard stop, too. But, after a while, it didn't HAVE to be a hard stop .. it was on any COMPLETE stop (not a rolling stop.. or, as we call those here, California stops .. ). It would depend on how hot the brakes were getting. I could feel something in the brake pedal when I'd hear the sound. I felt uneasy with it. Towards the end of my complaints .. prior to the 'fix', I swear I could feel the vehicle not want to stop completely .. it felt as if it would move 1 half inch forward. I thought the brakes were beginning to slip. Not a secure feeling, expecially after going downhill and having cars in front of you. So far, so good for me! I hope it's gone forever!

At this point I have a slight groan and dont feel it in the brake peddle.
Last time it got to ther point were I did feel it in the brake peddle.
I guess in time it will get worse.

Funny thing. My wife said it feels like the chassy moves foward from the body at the point of complete stop,Kinda what you are describing I said No but she might have a point.
Shes usually discribes problems better than I do (she drives the 3 most of the time),she used to help me swing motors back in the day and knows her shlt about cars.She can also go slideways in the 442 all the way down the block.Oh Yeh !
She described the noise as a groan(like F5) when I called it a grinding noise.

Hmmm3 it took 6000 , 7000 miles after fix to start making noise again.
How many miles since they fixed yours.?

Last edited by fourfourto : 09-19-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop, have you found out the nature of your grind/groan sound on your H3 yet?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

You know, I actually think I have video with audio of this...I'll see if I can put it up tewnight.

(get you mind out of the gutter.....I'm talking the downside of Hells Gate)
Old 09-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

ROADNOTCA is on a distinguished road

Just a shot in the dark but I hope these warps aren't the result of a car wash right after getting off the highway/freeway.

Last edited by ROADNOTCA : 09-25-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADNOTCA
Just a shot in the dark but I hope these warps aren't the result of a car wash right after getting off the highway/freeway.

I havent been to a car wash at all and I had it 13 months.
I do it myself when needed. Dirt =

Look up some old threads about car washes.

I think a few had there mirror riped off by a brush.
someone else ripped a brush off and was attached to his brush guard

I would only go to a brushless carwash .

Im not sure the noise is due to warped rotor.

Last edited by fourfourto : 09-25-2006 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:22 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
You know, I actually think I have video with audio of this...I'll see if I can put it up tewnight.

(get you mind out of the gutter.....I'm talking the downside of Hells Gate)
ROFLOL ... you know, I had to think of how to word my post so know one would take it the wrong way!
Old 10-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
At this point I have a slight groan and dont feel it in the brake peddle.
Last time it got to the point were I did feel it in the brake peddle.
I guess in time it will get worse.

Fourfourto, it'ssssssssssss baaaack! AGHHHH!!! But, not all of the time. I heard it once yesterday after braking going down a steep hill and coming to a 'sort of' abrupt stop at the base. Then, again today on a flat surface at a stop sign. I'm not going to think about it right now. I'm going back to the dealer in a couple of days to have my two A pillar moulding replaced (my parts just came in) and for an oil change. I don't know if I'll mention the groan now or not .. or wait until it starts to get bad again. Plus, I want to see what f5fstop finds out about his. How is yours doing, fourfourto?
Old 10-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm3
Fourfourto, it'ssssssssssss baaaack! AGHHHH!!! But, not all of the time. I heard it once yesterday after braking going down a steep hill and coming to a 'sort of' abrupt stop at the base. Then, again today on a flat surface at a stop sign. I'm not going to think about it right now. I'm going back to the dealer in a couple of days to have my two A pillar moulding replaced (my parts just came in) and for an oil change. I don't know if I'll mention the groan now or not .. or wait until it starts to get bad again. Plus, I want to see what f5fstop finds out about his. How is yours doing, fourfourto?

If your going in I would mention it.
Let us know how you make out.
Mines not that bad at this point.
In the last couple weeks I havent been using the e brake at all.Normally I used it every day in my driveway.
Not sure if its related ,just not using it as a experiment to see if it has to do with using e brake every day.
Its not as bad so far only time will tell.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Hummer Guru

I'll let you know, fourfourto. BUMMER!!! I'll mention it and see if they go anywheres with it. This is the dealer who told me it was 'normal', remember? I use my e-brake when I park on a slope, but I don't park on the slope daily ..maybe only once/twice a week max. You should have heard me in the 3 the second I heard that groan yesterday after NOT having it for a couple of months!!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 01:47 AM
Hummer Guru

I didnt drive the H3 in a week my wife uses it daily.
We were driving and I came to a long stop..It went Grrroun grounnnn grr... I go when did it get that bad,she goes Its NORMAL and laughs Then says how can those F*cks call that normal .
Ill probobly bring it back to the dealer in a week or two.

Hmmm3 any word from your dealer ?

F5 any official word on the brakes ?

Funny thing seems like its comming from the front but im not sure.

Im getting a new digital camera this weekend maybe Ill take a video with sound and list it .