H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 03-23-2007, 04:10 AM
Hummer Veteran

ChasH3 is off the scale
Default New Eaton Locker added to Base H3

Today, the dealer finished installing the Eaton Locker I purchased from Trail Duty.... The rear Eaton locker was $845 from Trail Duty and the Dealer charged $625 to install. The locker is not hooked up to the computer so I can lock the rear diff even when I am not in Hi or Low...The direction says to slow down to 3 mph to engage locker. Also, the button to engage the locker has to be pushed in far to turn on. That it is very difficult to turn on by accident. It also lights up yellow and is very easy to see. Can't wait to try it out this weekend....

Last edited by ChasH3 : 03-23-2007 at 04:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:18 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Eaton Locker added to Base H3

congrats
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 03-23-2007, 04:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

ChasH3 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOCON1
congrats

Thanks NEOCON1.... I have been waiting awhile to do this... The dealer cost to install is identical to what other off-road shops in the area wanted to charge for the install.. The last thing I need to do now is add some 35" muds....
Old 03-23-2007, 04:51 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

That is awesome Chas!!!!!!

So you still have the 2:XX t-case, but now you can lock....great job!

Make sure you do a "write up" so we can add to the FAQ.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

ChasH3 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
That is awesome Chas!!!!!!

So you still have the 2:XX t-case, but now you can lock....great job!

Make sure you do a "write up" so we can add to the FAQ.

Yep, no changes to t-case... Just had locker added only... Hopefully, I won't regret it later down the line...
Old 03-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool! Now when are you going wheeling with us?

Did the dealer mention anything about the factory warranty? What kind of warranty comes with the Eaton?

Old 03-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasH3
Today, the dealer finished installing the Eaton Locker I purchased from Trail Duty.... The rear Eaton locker was $845 from Trail Duty and the Dealer charged $625 to install. The locker is not hooked up to the computer so I can lock the rear diff even when I am not in Hi or Low...The direction says to slow down to 3 mph to engage locker. Also, the button to engage the locker has to be pushed in far to turn on. That it is very difficult to turn on by accident. It also lights up yellow and is very easy to see. Can't wait to try it out this weekend....

Congrats!!! do you know if the 4x4 controls on teh console can be switched out with one that has a locker button and have the locker hoocked up to that? Sewie already asked, but i'll ask again, how does it effect the warranty?
Old 03-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

ChasH3 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703
Congrats!!! do you know if the 4x4 controls on teh console can be switched out with one that has a locker button and have the locker hoocked up to that? Sewie already asked, but i'll ask again, how does it effect the warranty?

I was told they could not hook up to the 4x4 controls... Waranty wise.. I was told that the warranty shouldn't be effected. Worse case if the locker stopped working I would have to have Eaton fix and/or provide me a new locker (Only One year warranty from Eaton on Locker). Otherwise I would have to buy a new locker....But, the labor to take out and reinstall will be covered. The warrranty will continue to cover anything else that might happen to the rear diff.... Now that said... I did not get this in writing.. But, my dealer has gone out of there way to assist me with any problems I have had with the H3.... But, having the Dealer do the install makes me more comfortable if anything does go wrong down the line....

Sewie, now about wheeling.... are you coming done at the end of April for the Borrego run????? I need to make a run up your way....

Last edited by ChasH3 : 03-23-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

ChasH3 is off the scale

Now all I need is 35" tires and I can run with BeBe.....
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Sewie, now about wheeling.... are you coming done at the end of April for the Borrego run????? I need to make a run up your way....

Probably not, unless I pike on the Moab trip. But we're putting together a run up here for the end of summer.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

ChasH3 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewie
Probably not, unless I pike on the Moab trip. But we're putting together a run up here for the end of summer.

Sounds good... I would like to meet up with you all....
Old 03-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Hummer Authority

Demo is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice uprade, way to go.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:04 AM
Hummer Professional

ETD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey saw that myself the other day on the Trail duty website. How exactly did you get the dealer to install it? Was it simply "I have this locker, would you please put it on?" or did you have a long discussion. Thanks for the info.
H3Bas'r: Ready-Lift Levelled Superior Blue (debadged), Sun roof, Tinted, Mud mats, Wakizashi, front Husky flaps, Manik rocker bars, UCS, Tom Tom GPS for Treo, SuperSwampers Radial TSL, Rear Eaton Locker, PCMforless'd... but, alas, not waterproofed
Old 03-24-2007, 01:16 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I was told they could not hook up to the 4x4 controls... Waranty wise.. I was told that the warranty shouldn't be effected. Worse case if the locker stopped working I would have to have Eaton fix and/or provide me a new locker (Only One year warranty from Eaton on Locker). Otherwise I would have to buy a new locker....But, the labor to take out and reinstall will be covered. The warrranty will continue to cover anything else that might happen to the rear diff.... Now that said... I did not get this in writing.. But, my dealer has gone out of there way to assist me with any problems I have had with the H3.... But, having the Dealer do the install makes me more comfortable if anything does go wrong down the line....

I would get that in writing. If original dealer fixes a damaged axle no problem, he will just hide the fact he installed a locker. However, if there is any type of axle damage to the shafts, seals, ring/pinion, etc on the factory setup, and another dealer attempts to repair, the dealer will probably call WINS and ask WTF axle is this with a locker.
One of the first things a dealer does is pull up vehicle history, and seeing a locker in a non-off-road package will ring some bells. WINS will reject any repair to the axle; IT WILL NOT BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY. Everything else would be since GM would have no reason to say the locker damaged it. However, the dealer opening up the axle and installing a non-GM authorized part, voided out your warranty, the minute someone at GM finds out.
Believe me, if I was still in the field, and got a call from a dealer who said he had a strange axle with a locker installed and wanted to know if it was under warranty, i would say NO. Why should GM cover it, they didn't make it that way.
If the call just comes into WINS (GM warranty group) it will also be rejected, since the WINS people will probably call us to ask if this is normal. (Again, this is only if another dealer works on it and gets GM involved. If they don't, and talk to the installing dealer, all may be ok.)
Be careful, get the so-called warranty in writing. GM can still refuse to pay, but the dealer can then be held responsible.

Second word of caution: NEVER belileve a thing a dealer representative tells you, UNLESS it is obtained in writing. (Sorry dealership people, but it is the truth.)
Old 03-24-2007, 01:27 AM
Hummer Professional

So F5 what is your opinion on adding a locker to the Base Package? So far I have had good luck with "Accelerator-Brake-Modulation" and wondered whether the lockers had contributed to alot of the broken front-ends and such as people turn them off or on at an incorrect moment of traversing an obstacle. I mean I have a hard enough time balancing speed, power, gear ratios, and watching signals from spotters without having to remember to turn lockers on & off.
H3Bas'r: Ready-Lift Levelled Superior Blue (debadged), Sun roof, Tinted, Mud mats, Wakizashi, front Husky flaps, Manik rocker bars, UCS, Tom Tom GPS for Treo, SuperSwampers Radial TSL, Rear Eaton Locker, PCMforless'd... but, alas, not waterproofed
Old 03-24-2007, 01:36 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Rear locker is great when needed. It it not the reason the fronts breaks. The front breaks because it is aluminum and flexes too damn much. However, from reviewing some charts, the hardening of the gears has helped.

I have no problems with people having lockers installed, I just want them to be careful and understand in some cases, warranty repairs on axle components may be refused.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:19 AM
Hummer Veteran

ChasH3 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Rear locker is great when needed. It it not the reason the fronts breaks. The front breaks because it is aluminum and flexes too damn much. However, from reviewing some charts, the hardening of the gears has helped.

I have no problems with people having lockers installed, I just want them to be careful and understand in some cases, warranty repairs on axle components may be refused.

F5fstop.... your right about dealers saying one thing and then doing another... Hopefully I won't ever have to find out to soon.... Also, you are right.. If I took it to another dealer, they probably would charge me for any work done to the rear diff since the locker was added. The service rep did explain that to me...So you are right.. Unless I take it back to my dealer for service, I would probably have to pay out of my pocket to have it fixed.... Also to answer the question from ETD, the dealer had no problem with installing the locker even though I bought it from trail duty... Anyway, I wanted the locker and at some point I would of added it anyway....I currently have 30,000 miles and that was done in just a little over one year.... So by next March I'll have around 60,000 miles and my warranty is up at 50,000....

Last edited by ChasH3 : 03-24-2007 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Rear locker is great when needed. It it not the reason the fronts breaks.

You misunderstood. I did not mean to imply that engaging a rear locker would directly lead to stress to and fracture of the front end. I was asking whether mis-engaging the rear-locker resulting in loss of control i.e. while coming into or out of a turn during downhill/off a rock situation could result in the stress to the front end and carnage. In other words, has any of the Base H3 broken tie rods and such?
Old 03-25-2007, 03:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

ChasH3 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETD
You misunderstood. I did not mean to imply that engaging a rear locker would directly lead to stress to and fracture of the front end. I was asking whether mis-engaging the rear-locker resulting in loss of control i.e. while coming into or out of a turn during downhill/off a rock situation could result in the stress to the front end and carnage. In other words, has any of the Base H3 broken tie rods and such?

ETD... I broke my tie rod abot a month ago while attemping a rock waterfall.... This was prior to having the locker...
Old 03-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Hummer Professional

Damn. Too bad. I guess I'll do the count down at Moab till mine breaks. It didn't seem that hard to change 'em on the trail at Katemcy last year...

As far as the locker, though, I am calling my dealer tomorrow to see if they can put one in. Did your dealer supply the needed bearings to install it or did you get that as well. thanks for the info.