H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

DuckTruck is on a distinguished road
Default MUFFLER recommendations?

I'm looking to add some more power to my H2, but not sure the best route to go here. Obviously, don't want it obnox. loud or anything, but looking for some good hp gains.

Do ya'll recommend just replacing the muffler (I've run Magnaflow on previous vehicles and loved them) or just sticking with the stock system? Bottom line...is it worth it?

Just curious to see if there is any gain worth getting by doing this mod.....

Thanks in advance,

DUCK
2003 H2, Lux & Adv Packages, Cognito 3" front suspension lift, Gobi Stealth Rack w/ Ladder, Navigation, twin Optima battery setup, AirRaid Intake, Granatelli Mass Air Flow Sensor, Flowmaster Big Block II Exhaust, Diablosport Predator Programmer,Cognito Pitman/Idler Arm Kit, Fabtech Tie Rods, Rancho RS 9000 shocks, Warn bumper and 9.5x winch, Warn light bar, PIAA's everywhere (14), everything blacked out, and rollin' on 39.5" Super Swamper IROKs on black powdercoated stock wheels.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Hummer Professional

working Hummer is off the scale
Default Re: MUFFLER recommendations?

I had a magnaflow on mine and went back to stock for it was so damn loud. It resonated so bad in the truck my ears hurt. I never noticed any difference in HP. I guess if you like the noise go for it, but in my opinion it's a waste of money.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:36 AM
Hummer Expert

Tex_h2 is on a distinguished road

I've got a Jet Chip, and CAI....and there is a change in HP, or at least that what a friend of mine said. (his is a 05 H2)

Better shifts, and a bit more get up and go power...
Old 03-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

Stainless is on a distinguished road

Get the "Corsa" sport system!! It has a nice tone and added flow for HP!

SJK
Euro/smoke tint side, top and rear marking lights
K&N cold air kit, GM lockpic

www.TeamShooters.com
Old 03-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Avoid the Corsa. The thing crapped out on me after 2 years....mostly due to off-roading, but that's a short life on a muffler (interior baffles cracked, most likely to extreme temp changes). I LOVE the sound of it, but not the repair cost.

I now have the Magnaflow. It's a lot more mellow than the Corsa (the Corsa sounds like a freakin rig - you can hear it on their website), but it's still louder than stock. Doesn't bother my ears at all, but then again, I finally found something to drown out the tire noise.

Stacy
Old 03-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

Stainless is on a distinguished road

hey now, dont be dogin my Corsa......

The new 2008 systems are backed by your full GM warranty.

Off-roading, well thats a different story.
Euro/smoke tint side, top and rear marking lights
K&N cold air kit, GM lockpic

www.TeamShooters.com
Old 03-22-2008, 01:25 AM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: MUFFLER recommendations?

you will find the stock system is very good and you will be hard pressed to improve on it with a stock cam and heads. the cost will not be worth it . if you put headers,free flow cats and a cat back on you will get a small bump in power ,but it is going to cost you a bunch. Basani headers are very good . the stock system is so good it is hard to justify the expence of a cat back .also the stock system won't rattle loose or make you lose ground clearence,or vibrate on the body or drone at high way speeds . but if all you want is a kool sound than bust out that wallet and party. just my opinion ,but what the F do I know any way I'm just a old man with a bad attitude and 40 years of experiance in the auto biz doing every thing from being a Tec to owning a used car lot..
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Hummer Veteran

DuckTruck is on a distinguished road

I appreciate the input fellas....anybody else?

DUCK
2003 H2, Lux & Adv Packages, Cognito 3" front suspension lift, Gobi Stealth Rack w/ Ladder, Navigation, twin Optima battery setup, AirRaid Intake, Granatelli Mass Air Flow Sensor, Flowmaster Big Block II Exhaust, Diablosport Predator Programmer,Cognito Pitman/Idler Arm Kit, Fabtech Tie Rods, Rancho RS 9000 shocks, Warn bumper and 9.5x winch, Warn light bar, PIAA's everywhere (14), everything blacked out, and rollin' on 39.5" Super Swamper IROKs on black powdercoated stock wheels.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Hummer Expert

Tex_h2 is on a distinguished road

I don't know what you're after sound or speed....but, if your only looking for speed I'd do other things first. Engine Mod's. I had dual exhaust system with 4" tips on my Dodge Truck...its was kick ass for awhile, then it got kinda old. It was so loud I couldn't hear the radio on the hwy.
Plus you'll loose the best thing about the H2 is the quite stealth like appearance.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:33 AM
Hummer Professional

Metallic Red is on a distinguished road

I would have to recomend the Magna-Flo, only because I have them on two of my vehicle's (H2 & Mustang Cobra) and they sound great.

Did I mention they are stainless?

Magnaflo.com

HCMI Member 50043
Old 03-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBob is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I have the Magnaflow and LOVE IT!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I suggest Flowmaster mufflers due to annual independent tests and rankings. There may be actually very little difference as well as someone always is coming out with the next greatest latest tech.

To get full potential of any muffler other improvements need to be made to the complete exhaust system also. If not any brand muffler will most likely do a good job for sound.

If serious about gaining performance I suggest the complete exhaust conversion of Dynatech stainless steel long tube headers, which increase low end torque nicely and their stainless catback system tuned to the headers. Next a true dual exhaust using 2 Flowmaster mufflers 50, 40, Super 40 or 44 series depending on deepness of sound etc.. I think you can hear sample sound at their website. I went with Super 40's but, at the time the 44 series was not out yet or most likely would have went with 44's.

If mufflers are stood up length wise side by side on the edges not flat as usual, even welded together for extra support, they can be put in same location where the huge 1 factory muffler was. You can go with 3" pipe into each muffler and 2.5" coming out of each. This will let you get 5" flow over the rear axle in factory location. We tried to fit twin 3" tailpipes but, we felt it did not leave enough safe space between brake lines etc. based on the total app. picture of the H2 we are setting up with forced induction. Have them to cut tailpipes off up high in factory location pointing down so to be sure not interfering with off-roading if you do that. If you do not they can run one side of tailpipe across to other side of H2 so you have a chrome tailpipe on each side.

I sent my complete system off to Jet Hot and had them coated inside and out with the polished finish, for now my rig is a show Queen. If you go to turbo or supercharger as I have done the coating reduces the temp on surrounding areas as well as to interior significantly.

Good Luck and hope I have been some help.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 03-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

8500lbs is on a distinguished road

i did the borla cat back and i have been very pleased with them. they are very mellow at highway speed and low rpm but when i get on it they do come to life. I also have dynatech headers and high flow cats, volant air box, air aid intake tube, throttle body spacer, and superchips programmer. so as far as performance I cant tell ya what just the borla will do. If you want HP though i am looking at selling the superchips programmer and getting the Predator Motorsports CPU. it dyno's a gain of 64HP and 79 foot pounds. that is the best i have seen with out going forced induction.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Hummer Professional

Humdingah is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd question the 64hp and 79 lb.-ft. gains with a CPU change...nothing done there that you can't do with tuning and I doubt there's that much power left on the table from the stck tune. Lots of ways to fool a dyno when doing back-to-back pulls...

I just went to their website and, ironically, every 'power package' they show has the same acceleration graph comparison. No dyno numbers, no comparisons, nothing. I notice they caveat everything with "up to xx more horsepower." Their Stage 3, with a claimed 122hp, is getting into serious cam swap territory from just an exhaust and air filter with tuning. I'd call bull**** on their claims...

Last edited by Humdingah : 03-23-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

8500lbs is on a distinguished road

I am not claiming that Predator Motorsports does what they claim or that I stand by what they do, I myself do not have the ECM nor do I know anyone who does. As far as the Dyno Read outs the reason why they are all the same on different packages is because it says it is the same dyno sheet. That readout only shows the performance from doing just the ECM. There might be different ways to fool a dyno but I dont have any expierence with them. I would like to try the ECM they offer mainly because I do not like the Superchips Programmer I have and would love more power with out going forced induction. Many people have said get it tuned from a ocal shop but i do not trust any local shops. on top of that they will see a Hummer and try to charge out my butt. Just my .02

Thanks
B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdingah
I'd question the 64hp and 79 lb.-ft. gains with a CPU change...nothing done there that you can't do with tuning and I doubt there's that much power left on the table from the stck tune. Lots of ways to fool a dyno when doing back-to-back pulls...

I just went to their website and, ironically, every 'power package' they show has the same acceleration graph comparison. No dyno numbers, no comparisons, nothing. I notice they caveat everything with "up to xx more horsepower." Their Stage 3, with a claimed 122hp, is getting into serious cam swap territory from just an exhaust and air filter with tuning. I'd call bull**** on their claims...
Old 03-24-2008, 05:26 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Need an ECM program you can trust go to Nelsonperformance.com. He is GOOD. His tunes have been used by some national forced induction kit package as their own tune. Then there has been those that gave Allen credit.

Allen will work till it is like you want it. He will though not put up with nit picky crap that HE knows is what it is and the customer knows it as well. He will put all the time required to get the right tune for the honest guy that is just not busting Allens balls. Allen normally gets the tune correct the first try if you really understand what you want and fill out his form honestly and correctly.

You will like him. Check his site out.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges