H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Hummer Veteran

finall is on a distinguished road
Default How move rooflight light bar forward?

Problem: Roof lightbar has 4 lights (see photo). Sunroof wind deflector interferes with 2 center lights. Light from these is reflected into the interior of the vehicle through sunroof, and is very annoying at night. Not sure why GM had this light bar set so far back on the roof. It prevents a person from being able to look out the sunroof, or access the roof lights by standing up through the sunroof. Bad design.

Solution: Need to move this lightbar ahead of the sunroof wind deflector.

Question: How do I do this? The roofbar has 2 stops (one on each side of the roofrails, barely visible in photo just to front of lightbar), that prevent it from going further forward and hitting the sunroof wind deflector. It will not clear it.

So, can I temporarily remover the wind deflector, or remove the light bar to clear the wind deflector and move it in front of it? If so, can anyone give me the steps to do this?

Has anyone done this? These light bars came as standard stock on Special Edition H2s. SInce there are thousands of SEs out there, surely someone knows the answer?

Please help. THanks!

Last edited by finall : 06-09-2023 at 02:31 AM.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Hummer Guru

frenzy1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How move rooflight light bar forward?

You should talk to your dealer. When I had mine installed, he asked me exactly where I wanted it. It's completely in the front.

MY TRUCK : NO !
MY DOG : MAYBE
MY WIFE : YES

Old 03-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Remove the two screws holding the wind deflector in place. These are visible in the picture. Lift off wind deflector.

Slide light bar forward all the way.

Replace wind deflector and screws.

You may have to adjust the wind deflector to allow you to put the screws back in. Tighten light bar.

Point is, yes, you can remove the wind deflector.

Post pics when you're done.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks to Kenp for the wind deflector removal. That is half the solution...

The light bar has front stops, that prevent it from going further forward. No idea how to remove these front stops. The front stop is labelled "Onstar Antenna Stop". Presumably to avoide interference with the Onstar antenna if the roofrack was too close.

I really do not give a hoot about Onstar, because all it is, is a built-in cellphone. Dumbest feature ever, and totally useless. The only time I needed it during an accident, it failed since the location did not have cell phone reception. (For those of you who don't know, onstar works off cell phone service, NOT satellite). No cell, no onstar.

So how do I remove the stops and move the light bar forward? The stops are anchored somehow underneath the roofrack rail.

Anyone out there with a Special Edition H2 that has done this mod?

Last edited by finall : 03-16-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

Frenzy1:

How did your dealer put the bar right up front, without hitting the onstar antenna? Is the antenna in front or behind the lightbar.

Oh wait, you probably do not have onstar, correct? That would enable you to slide the lightbar forward without any problem.

Please confirm.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

The deflector is not real rigid. We just slid bar over the top of the deflector.
You have to be careful about going to far forward or the lights will cause a glare on windshield and you cannot see out front glass. You have to play with that. You need the lights to leave a shadow onto the hood. I have had no wind noise situation so far and the shield moved down very slightly as to not be difficult.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 03-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Hummer Guru

frenzy1 is on a distinguished road

the little onstar antenna is bent, 'cause of the light bar being completely in front of the truck. But, I don't have any use for the onstar antenna/installation, since I live in Belgium

MY TRUCK : NO !
MY DOG : MAYBE
MY WIFE : YES

Old 03-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Hummer Expert

Rico001 is on a distinguished road

So how do I remove the stops and move the light bar forward? The stops are anchored somehow underneath the roofrack rail.

Anyone out there with a Special Edition H2 that has done this mod?[/quote]

I removed the stop clips with a pair of needle nose pliers.
They are made a a rubbery plastic and will pull right out.
I do not have a SE but the stop clips are the same.
~Richard
Yellow 2003 H2 Luxury ALPHA , 2" lift, Black Helo Maxx8 20 X 10 Rims, Toyo AT Open Country II LT35/12.50/R20 tires, taillight guards and black LE brush guard, KC light bar w/4 Daylights, Recon Smoked roof lights, Sirius/XM Satellite Radio, Kenwood Head Unit , 4 - 6-1/2 inch Polk Audio Speakers, solid billet tailgate handle,HUMMER H2 Ghost lights ib front doors
Old 03-17-2008, 04:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks to all you guys!

It worked. Job done. The light bar does NOT interfere with the xm antenna, which remains just ahead of the bar.

The wind deflector is a pain, as it is about 1/4" too high. I have squashed it under the light bar. Add a small rubber bumber to the contact point(s), or it will scratch the wind deflector. The outer wind deflector corners lift about 1/16" on my rig due to the pressure on the wind deflector center top from the lightbar. Will monitor to see if this is a problem, or if they warp back down.

Looks a lot nicer with lighbar moved forward.

Caution: Look out for pigtail and zippywrap it so it does not flutter in wind and scratch your roof paint.

Here is how to remove the roofrail stop. This was hard to figure out:
1. Squeeze together and lift the part of the stop that is inside the goove of the roofrail. It is rubber, so no chance of breakage.
2. Pull out of groove and bend towards centerline of vehicle. Bend the snot out of it.
3. Now, the other end is wedged under the medial part of the roofrail. Forcefully push DOWN on this part. It is hooked under the roofrail. It will pop down and release. Do NOT use a screwdriver or other sharp object to help do this. You can scratch your roof as it abruptly pops out.
4. Done. Easy once you know how.
5. Clip stop back onto some other part of roof rail by reversing this procedure, so it does not disappear in your garage.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

evomind2 is on a distinguished road

i dont mean to hijack, but where can i find an 8 light- lightbar like the one above and how much should i expect to pay?
uc protection
rock/ram kit
39.5" iroks
3m shielding down the sides