H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 12-28-2005, 02:43 AM

Operator24 is off the scale

I've noticed H3s are spring under in leaf configuration for the rear suspension.

I'm sure they (GM) did this so as to ensure axle wrap doesn't occur. But its a pain to lift a set-up like this. You have to either replace the whole pack or do an add-a-leaf kit. For a quick lift, you could always go spring over (like a half ton or 3/4 ton pick-up) and get a little better ride, lift, and you could even use your stock springs. You can buy bolt on kits for this work or you can weld on a spring perch (better idea) to the top of the 10 bolt and be on your way. I can't imagine the axle wrap being too bad... if even noticable using a stock spring pack?

So why aren't more people trying this? I've done it to several other types of 4x4s and it really improves ride quality on and off road.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:43 AM

I've noticed H3s are spring under in leaf configuration for the rear suspension.

I'm sure they (GM) did this so as to ensure axle wrap doesn't occur. But its a pain to lift a set-up like this. You have to either replace the whole pack or do an add-a-leaf kit. For a quick lift, you could always go spring over (like a half ton or 3/4 ton pick-up) and get a little better ride, lift, and you could even use your stock springs. You can buy bolt on kits for this work or you can weld on a spring perch (better idea) to the top of the 10 bolt and be on your way. I can't imagine the axle wrap being too bad... if even noticable using a stock spring pack?

So why aren't more people trying this? I've done it to several other types of 4x4s and it really improves ride quality on and off road.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:20 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had my truck crawled over by more Jeep and Toyota people and they all make the same comment. They say the first thing I should do is get rid of the IFS and then do a "leaf over" conversion.

Mostly, at this time it is a one of a kind vehicle. It has not been out long enough to have any real after market parts designed and developed for the market yet.

Heck, they are having trouble getting the lifts right. In a year or so we will have more than enough to choose from. You mentioned gears in another thread. I'm having that looked at now among other things.

Most of us who have had our trucks for 6+ months, are really keeping a close eye on the market.

Patience is a virtue
Old 12-28-2005, 03:45 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

PS on the leaf over, it is an obvious need on the H3...it shouldn't be long......
Old 12-28-2005, 04:05 AM
Hummer Veteran

Ted is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummBebe:
I have had my truck crawled over by more Jeep and Toyota people and they all make the same comment. They say the first thing I should do is get rid of the IFS and then do a "leaf over" conversion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alot of people will bash IFS, and tell you to cut it off, and SAS it. It's the cool thing to so these days. But, would you really want to hack up a new vehical?
Old 12-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

Mike B is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Operator24:

So why aren't more people trying this? I've done it to several other types of 4x4s and it really improves ride quality on and off road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Based on the current bump-stop configuation in the rear end, it appears that a leaf-over would limit articulation without the addition of a body lift.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

FormerJeeper is off the scale

Then fix the bump stops
I ran for two years without any rear bumpstops on a lifted Cherokee.

-C
Old 12-28-2005, 03:49 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ted:
Alot of people will bash IFS, and tell you to cut it off, and SAS it. It's the cool thing to so these days. But, would you really want to hack up a new vehical? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I'm not going to hack into a 35+K truck like that.

I've seen IFS set ups that work on a lot of different terrain types. Jeeps (all but wrangler models) have switched over to it too. A lot of die-hard wheelers out there don't trust anything other than a dana 44 or 60 on the front end of anything. Thats a short sighted view on their part. IFS is way more controlable and comfortable when you're doing higher speed trail rides. Straight axles are just plain stronger and easier to fix in a rockcrawling environment.

I've seen in baja races where a straight axle front end rig tries to compete and fails. I've seen in rockcrawling comps where a rig with IFS tries to compete and fails there (walker evans tried it).

For a truck that will see a little of both the off road and pavement worlds, IFS is the winner everytime. Chevy/GMC saw that long ago, even Jeep sees that now. Their wrangler line is the only line they expect to see full scale rockcrawling so they kept the solid axle in there.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:53 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike B:
Based on the current bump-stop configuation in the rear end, it appears that a coil-over would limit articulation without the addition of a body lift. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like the way you think, but I'm not saying coil-overs. I'm just saying put the big ol' leaf pack on top of the axle housing instead of below it.

In either case, I don't follow how a body lift increases the articulation though?