H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Elcova Rookie

brittcoulson is on a distinguished road
Default Alpine IVA-W505 Installed

Hey

I did alot of searching around before I installed the Alpine IVA-W505 in my 2007 H2, and I couldnt find much info on install notes.

Here are some thing I have found through the install:

I used the GMAH24B from Peripheral Electronics to interface the W505 to my Hummer harness.

I used the SWI-JACK to interface to my steering wheel controls since the headunit has a remote jack input.

The install was simple, at first I was worried about lack of volume control with Onstar, but now I have used it for a few days its not that big of a deal and it was definatly worth the trade off.

I continued to use the factory Bose amplifier and the sound diffrence between the Alpine unit and the factory deck are noticible. The sound is alot crisper and clearer, and I am really impressed with the sound quality of the Bose.

The SWI-JACK has been a little flakey, it was easy to program and setup, I just had to read the directions a few times. Sometimes it works awsome just like the factory installed system and sometimes it doesnt even register anything. I am going to call the company I bought it from and see if they sold me an older revision or something.

I will post some pictures in a few days, but if anyone has any questions or anything let me know and I will do my best to answer it.

Overall I am extremly happy with the deck and install how it sounds. I would recomend to anyone who is thinking about it.

Britt
Old 08-23-2008, 02:16 AM
Hummer Expert

[__--MUD--__] is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Alpine IVA-W505 Installed

What made you choose this head unit?? Did you compare it to the pioneer or kenwood models?

I can't make up my mind.. i'm deadlocked between iva-w505 and the Kenwood Excelon DNX8120
Old 08-23-2008, 05:31 AM
Hummer Veteran

rck0025 is on a distinguished road

The IVA-W505 probably has the best sound processor in its class. I have the w-205 and absolutely love it. The blackbird navigation is great when it works. I've had a couple of problems with mine, but if you keep it charged, you shouldn't have any issues. I really like having Sirius, DVD, Back up monitor, navigation, and a quality I-pod interface in one central and easy to use unit. If you are using the factory speakers you can use the GM module you bought to turn up the factory amp as well I believe.

Side note: not sure what harness/ mount you used to take place of the factory enclosure, but I had to file mine down so that the motorized face wouldn't get caught on the plastic.

Congrats and post some pics!
Old 08-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

Marauder is on a distinguished road

Is the adapter you used the same as the Matra gmos-04 adapter? Adapts the Onstar and Bose system to the new head unit.

I had the Alpine W200 in my other vehicle and loved it. I assume you will like your 505 as much or more.

I have the new Pioneer Premier F90BT ordered for the H2. Slightly smaller screen but the interface is awesome. I am still worried about using the adapter versus rewiring the truck and using aftermarket amp and speakers. But I will give the Bose system a chance to sound half good.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:30 AM
Elcova Rookie

brittcoulson is on a distinguished road

Hey

Mud - I chose the W505 because I liked its DIVX capability, and I love Alpine headunits. I have owned a IVA-D300 and IVA-D310 and I loved both of them. I really like the touchscreen interface, and the sound processor is awsome. Like I said before, it sounds amazing.

RCL0025 - I used the Scosche install kit, which was absolute crap in my opinion. Theres no way when a dash kit fits everything from a 1990 Ford Econoline van to a 2007 H2 its going to be perfect. The opening in the front was way to small for the deck, and I ended up not even using it. I removed the 2 side pieces front the front square face, bolted them to the side of the deck, then bolted that into the H2 dash. Then I put the W505 trim ring on, then the large H2 dash trim piece and it looks awsome.

Marauder - I'm not sure about the Metra adapter, but the shop I bought it from said they have not had the best luck with the Metra adapters. I was going to just do the re-wire and not use the Bose amp, but then you cant have the onstar audio coming through the door speakers which was a concern for me, plus the Bose system sounds amazing with the new deck.

I will try to get some pictures posted tommorow when I get home.

Britt