H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: HID XENON LIGHT UPGRADE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucky
Can these Projectors that DRTY posted and that you speak of be Adjusted?
example if your Rig is lifted can the projectors be adjusted downward at all?

Any known life span on these projectors? Do the bulbs get changed when they go or do you have to spend another 1000 dollars plus? After buying the 1000 dollar kit, if you blow a head light, can you buy just 1 or are you in for a whole new kit again?

Thanks

Projector bulbs prety much last forever so I wouldn't worry about 1 going bad.
Here is a little info on the differences of HID

Non projectors = fake

Everyone should know what standard halogen bulbs are. These are the common bulbs that Edison made famous. There are multiple issues with these bulbs. First, they are only allowed to be so bright as to prevent blinding other drivers. Second is their beam pattern. Light is scattered and not really focused on the road in front. Finally is lifespan. Bulbs burn out frequently because they are still filament based.
Then there?s HID (High Intensity Discharge) technology. People has called them Xenon as well but that just refers to the gas they are using. We normally see HID lamps in the form of mercury vapor and sodium vapor lights used as street lamps and as outdoor lighting for stadiums. These lamps are popular because they are efficient. In the case of sodium vapor, they are twice as efficient as normal fluorescent bulbs. The problem with that technology is that there is a long startup time for mercury vapors. Xenon helps solve the start-up problem, as does a special controller (ballast). HID solves the problem of bulb lifespan but what about beam pattern and making the light brighter? I?ll get to that after some more history lesson.
HID technology was introduced to Northern America cars starting with the 1995 Lincoln Mark VIII. Then other automotive dealers such as Audi, Mercedes, and BMW started putting them in their cars as well. Being rare and cool looking, 3rd party companies jumped on the bandwagon and started developing ?HID like? bulbs which they market as HID bulbs, Euro Spec bulbs, or Plasma Blue bulbs. Those are nothing more than painted halogen bulbs that you now can find on eBay for $10. These bulbs do nothing more than change the color coming out of the headlight to blue. This blue light is dimmer, tiring on the eyes, and having a shorter life span than the stock halogen bulbs that came with the car. Though mostly not illegal (DOT certified), it?s a highly dangerous thing to do.
So the next step is to put the HID technology into the existing headlight. This is what is commonly referred to as an HID kit ($500). The HID bulb and ballast (the HID bulb control box) replaces the halogen bulb and thus in effect putting a very bright HID bulb into a halogen housing (stock headlight housing). This achieves the brightness of using HID but the beam pattern is scattered like a halogen bulb because the housing is not meant for such a light source. In California the use of these HID kits are illegal because they are not focused and glare other drivers (Hence not DOT approved). DOT = Department of Transportation.
HID kits come in different color and are based on the light temperature. The higher Kelvin the light color, the bluer the output becomes. Kits advertising 8,000k and above are so blue that people have a hard time distinguishing between your car and an ambulance or police car. In contrast, all cars equipped with HID as standard equipment comes with 4100K bulbs. Also HID Kits using OEM ballasts such as those made by Hella or Philips are the best. They are more likely to last longer and has additional safety features built in that may not be available on ?Home made? kits. Also the glass part of the halogen bulb is replaced with the glass part of the HID bulb. That?s how the bulb fits into the stock headlight housing. This glass swap is commonly known as a rebased bulb.
So finally what separates the real HID technology and the fake, is the addition of the HID projector (some actually reflector style HID but those aren?t very good and you can?t install these in your car). It is the lense and shield of the projector that concentrates the beam to the floor and creates a cutoff above a certain height as to not blind other drivers. At the cutoff there is a blue color due to the light spectrum. In most cases the color is either blue or purple. The popular trend now is to take the entire HID technology (HID bulb, ballast, lense and shield) and put them into the halogen housing. This is referred to as a HID retrofit ($1,000+).

http://reviews.ebay.com/Quick-inform...00000000007982

Old 09-25-2007, 01:26 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ H2

Non projectors = fake

So finally what separates the real HID technology and the fake, is the addition of the HID projector

http://reviews.ebay.com/Quick-inform...00000000007982
This is absolutely wrong and untrue!!! There are plenty of non-projector HID lamps. What makes it true HID is the high intensity discharge arc in the filament free bulb.

Quote:
This achieves the brightness of using HID but the beam pattern is scattered like a halogen bulb because the housing is not meant for such a light source. In California the use of these HID kits are illegal because they are not focused and glare other drivers (Hence not DOT approved). DOT = Department of Transportation.
This is misleading! DOT is about to approve them. Admittedly, their cut-off is not as hard edged as the projectors, but it is very visible, especially when compared to halogen lamps.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:55 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower
This is absolutely wrong and untrue!!! There are plenty of non-projector HID lamps. What makes it true HID is the high intensity discharge arc in the filament free bulb.

This is misleading! DOT is about to approve them. Admittedly, their cut-off is not as hard edged as the projectors, but it is very visible, especially when compared to halogen lamps.

Relax ... I said the non projectors were fake and by fake I meant not the real deal. That is my opinion as well as others and don't forget you are also entitled to my opinion

Old 09-25-2007, 02:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Relax ... I said the non projectors were fake and by fake I meant not the real deal. That is my opinion as well as others and don't forget you are also entitled to my opinion
Yes and I am saying that there are plenty of NON projectors that ARE true HID, just as there are halogen projectors. Projector or not has NOTHING to do with whether or not lamp is true HID. Period! This is fact and has nothing to do with opinion. It has to do with understanding the concept of HID. It has a specific meaning.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

Grizzy is on a distinguished road

AND I SAY YOU'RE BOTH WRONG AND I'M RIGHT!!!

What are we talking about again?

Old 09-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Banned

Gerbils!
Old 09-25-2007, 02:42 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
"""""""""Projector bulbs prety much last forever so I wouldn't worry about 1 going bad.
Here is a little info on the differences of HID

Non projectors = fake

Everyone should know what standard halogen bulbs are. These are the common bulbs that Edison made famous. There are multiple issues with these bulbs. YADA YADA YADA """""""" This is referred to as a HID retrofit ($1,000+).

Thank you thank you thank you! I loved the history lesson. Read every word. I've been thinking about adding a brighter bulb, such as an HID bulb with/without ballast, whatever, don't care, and you've cleared up some confusion I've been having about the matter. $1k sounds like quite a bit for a headlight upgrade, but in the end, if it will project its bright focused light onto the road anything like my wifes nissan 350z, then count me in! I absolutely hate the headlights the H2 came with. Always have.

Thanks again for the lesson!

Old 09-25-2007, 04:28 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucky
Can these Projectors that DRTY posted and that you speak of be Adjusted?
example if your Rig is lifted can the projectors be adjusted downward at all?

Any known life span on these projectors? Do the bulbs get changed when they go or do you have to spend another 1000 dollars plus? After buying the 1000 dollar kit, if you blow a head light, can you buy just 1 or are you in for a whole new kit again?

Thanks
Yes, they can. The HIDs I installed utilized the factory light bucket(with some modifications) and still have vertical adjustment capability. IIRC, the life span of the lights is 10,000+ hours. Now considering that I've got 91,000 miles and 3000 hours on my H2, with most of those being daylight hours, I'd say that the lights will easily outlive the lifetime of the rig.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:45 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower
Yes and I am saying that there are plenty of NON projectors that ARE true HID, just as there are halogen projectors. Projector or not has NOTHING to do with whether or not lamp is true HID. Period! This is fact and has nothing to do with opinion. It has to do with understanding the concept of HID. It has a specific meaning.

Tower,
If you like the non projectors then God bless you. I have had the Hella bixenon projectors installed in my H2 for 4 years now with no problems and I Loave them! I think of the non projectors as fake just as fake breasts are still breasts just fake. I still like the large fake breasts but I loave the large real breasts much much better
There is a reason the projectors cost more and the reason is they are much much better ... in my opinion
Now Thank you and good night sir!

Old 09-25-2007, 07:55 AM
Banned

Quote:

Everyone should know what standard halogen bulbs are. These are the common bulbs that Edison made famous.

Again, sorry, but totally wrong!

Just to beat this to death, your history is off as well. Sorry to ruin a perfectly good fiction with these pesky little facts, but Edison never saw a halogen bulb. He made vacuum (actually "oxygenless") bulbs with carbon filaments. Halogen bulbs came much later and after the tungsten filament was perfected. Where do you get your disinformation???

Last edited by tower : 09-25-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:11 AM
Hummer Veteran

I thought the history lesson was very informative! Although I didn't remember edison having crap to do with halogen, though everything else was great! just my 2 cents! I'm not gonna penalize you for one little mistake. I'm still gonna buy the projector hids. I love real boobs!!

Old 09-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Hummer Professional

Hucky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTYFN
Yes, they can. The HIDs I installed utilized the factory light bucket(with some modifications) and still have vertical adjustment capability. IIRC, the life span of the lights is 10,000+ hours. Now considering that I've got 91,000 miles and 3000 hours on my H2, with most of those being daylight hours, I'd say that the lights will easily outlive the lifetime of the rig.

Thanks Dirty, I spoke with Jason Rosoff yesterday at Somo about these lights you posted he answered most my questions but the question never came up or was presented to me about any fabrication on the oem buckets,

What kind of mod had to be done, generally speaking?

Thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

410225 is on a distinguished road
Default Mercedes reflective HID system

I used to own 2001 Mercedes E430 that had OEM NON Projector HID system Lighting was as good as projector units. Yes, the focus or pencil beam pattern is much sharper on the projector unit but brightness is far superior then halogen and very comparable to projector.

Fake HID = silver/blue coated lightbulb.
Real HID = Xenon charged bulb with ignitor and ballast. Less Kelvin more LUM.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Hummer Professional

MVR 155 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mercedes reflective HID system

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410225
I used to own 2001 Mercedes E430 that had OEM NON Projector HID system Lighting was as good as projector units. Yes, the focus or pencil beam pattern is much sharper on the projector unit but brightness is far superior then halogen and very comparable to projector.

Fake HID = silver/blue coated lightbulb.
Real HID = Xenon charged bulb with ignitor and ballast. Less Kelvin more LUM.

I also owned a car with real HID although projectorless.... it was a 03 Acura CL type S, just because its not a projector set up does not mean its not a true HID.... all of the early HID cars did not run projectors.

I have a HID kit in my Corvette.... the difference from the stock lights (which royally sucked by the way) is insane.... I have a 8000K set up, very bright with a bit of blue color to the light. Will most likely be looking into a similar kit for the H2 shortly

SOLD 2006 H2 SUV Luxury: Pewter ext/Black int.

2002 Corvette Z06 Blue/Ebony (light mods)
1/4 mile: 11.661@118.86

2013 Audi S4

2002 Yamaha YZF R1 Blue/White
1/4 mile: 10.51@136

2006 Sea-Doo RXP (70.6mph GPS)
2005 Sea-Doo RXT
Old 09-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Hummer Authority

Default Re: Mercedes reflective HID system

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVR 155
because its not a projector set up does not mean its not a true HID.... all of the early HID cars did not run projectors.

Once again for the people in the back ... Fake breasts are real breasts just fake. They are made to look like the real thing just not as good
Peace out Hombre!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Banned

Many "fake" breasts are better!
Old 10-01-2007, 02:22 AM
Hummer Professional

pteam is on a distinguished road

OK guys the kit I bought off ebay for $150 are true HID , both sides have ballasts, and they are for both HI and LOW beams. Here are pictures:

Also I would like to add that because it doesnt have a projector doesnt mean its not HID, all the projector does is concentrate light in a certain area. Without the projectors you actually see more parts of the road and on the sides, for offroading this is way better. The lights are so bright that concentrating them straight ahead makes that area brighter than it needs to be, without the projector the small amount thats not dead on like a projector would be just lights up other parts of the road such as fog lights would or areas to the right and left. Also to adjust the headlights is simple, just use the factory headlight adjustment to move em up or down, can't really do that with projectors. For $1,000 less its surely the better pick. But I would like to add my 2004 Escalade limo with Factory HID from GM does not have projectors! See picture:

So this is the same setup that I have added to my h2.

Also here is a picture of my lambo and my porsche. The porsche I added aftermarket HID lights to also, different bulb types , but the same brand and bought from the same ebay seller.

You don't really notice a difference with projector like my lambo has and without like my h2 and porsche have.

Also here is a video that shows the lights, the color is amazing, it shows the high and low beams. Why would you buy a system for $1000 more, its a waste of money IMO.

Video: http://www.firstclasslimos.net/hid.wmv 2.5 mbs takes a few secs to load
Supercharged Viper 800 HP Special Edition #49 of 50
Porsche Boxster S

My Hummers:
08 H2, 22 in rims, 6 HID lights, 20 in TV with DVD
4 H2 limos 3 have lighted dance floors + ceilings, 1 has Zebra interior 24-26 passengers
H2 Limo 26 pass lighted dance floor (sold)
H2 Limo 24 pass (sold)
03 H2 (sold)
H1 Open top (sold)

FirstClassLimos.net - H2 limos and party buses in OH & PA

my car collection

Last edited by pteam : 10-01-2007 at 03:21 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:39 AM
Hummer Professional

Hucky is on a distinguished road

Looks good

Thanks for the Efforts on the Video, very cool of you.

Hucky
Old 10-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Hummer Professional

MVR 155 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteam
OK guys the kit I bought off ebay for $150 are true HID , both sides have ballasts, and they are for both HI and LOW beams. Here are pictures:

Also I would like to add that because it doesnt have a projector doesnt mean its not HID, all the projector does is concentrate light in a certain area. Without the projectors you actually see more parts of the road and on the sides, for offroading this is way better. The lights are so bright that concentrating them straight ahead makes that area brighter than it needs to be, without the projector the small amount thats not dead on like a projector would be just lights up other parts of the road such as fog lights would or areas to the right and left. Also to adjust the headlights is simple, just use the factory headlight adjustment to move em up or down, can't really do that with projectors. For $1,000 less its surely the better pick. But I would like to add my 2004 Escalade limo with Factory HID from GM does not have projectors! See picture:

So this is the same setup that I have added to my h2.

Also here is a picture of my lambo and my porsche. The porsche I added aftermarket HID lights to also, different bulb types , but the same brand and bought from the same ebay seller.

You don't really notice a difference with projector like my lambo has and without like my h2 and porsche have.

Also here is a video that shows the lights, the color is amazing, it shows the high and low beams. Why would you buy a system for $1000 more, its a waste of money IMO.

Video: http://www.firstclasslimos.net/hid.wmv 2.5 mbs takes a few secs to load

Couldnt agree with you more. HID refers to the type of lighting not the way its projected. HID can be in either type of enclosure but in the end its still HID.

SOLD 2006 H2 SUV Luxury: Pewter ext/Black int.

2002 Corvette Z06 Blue/Ebony (light mods)
1/4 mile: 11.661@118.86

2013 Audi S4

2002 Yamaha YZF R1 Blue/White
1/4 mile: 10.51@136

2006 Sea-Doo RXP (70.6mph GPS)
2005 Sea-Doo RXT
Old 10-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

blackhawk29 is on a distinguished road

Which kit did you order on e bay? Make, Model, Part number? Vendor or item number?
Thanks