H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-28-2005, 07:59 PM

LasVegas is off the scale

tower....based on what I can see I know what I would do. I would either take the switches out or cut the face plate in half horizonally & mount them across the upper console. Would look cool! But, lots of work.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:10 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Briliant idea! I'll take a look at the panel and see if either are feasable. Here is one crappy alternative (looks cheesey).
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2005, 03:15 AM
Banned

Another crappy alternative.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2005, 03:31 AM

The second alternative is best but still looks kinda add-on. If that panel comes apart and the switches/leds come out in tact you could make a panel out of plastic like mine or whatever material you like and mount it all up on the upper console. That would be a lot of precise hole cutting so you could take it to a wood working shop & they could set up a router jig. Probably some solder work too but I don't know what it looks like inside. I know it would look good up there and look like factory install. Hey, where did you get that black instrument cluster? Or is that just a pic of an '05?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Banned

I'll hace a look at the switch panel later today. Yeah, I (badly) photoshopped together 2 stock dash photos (see L side of radio).
Old 03-30-2005, 12:39 AM

I like this tower but I'm prejudice.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2005, 12:46 AM

or this...diff color
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2005, 03:46 AM
Banned

HA_HA_HA!!! Agreed. VERY sweet! Also very thoughtful of you (even moved the legends, I see). I didn't get to it today. Tomorrow, if I can open it without trashing it, I will. Otherwise, I'll call TST to find out how much to swap the one they gave me for a custom linear arrayed panel.

While I've got you, any thoughts on where to mount the beast of a PDB (power distribution box)? Dimensions are attached. Here is the URL.

http://www.tst-corp.com/pdfs/ttcs10.pdf
Ideally, it should be mounted so that the 7+ x 10+ top (widest aspect) is visible for diagnostics. I’m thinking over one of the wheel wells. It’s been a while since I pulled out the utility trays over the wheels. I don’t recall how much room there was. Also, I could probably cut the box down from ~4” to ~3”, but I don’t know if that would help. Also, if it’s a clean dry location that won’t get impacted, I could probably trash the box altogether. These systems are designed for fire trucks and vans, where e- space is more readily available than on our H2’s.

Thanks for all your help!

Think MOAB!!!
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2005, 03:57 AM

Is this box something you would want to get to on a "regular" basis??
Old 03-30-2005, 04:01 AM
Banned

Great question. Inintially, I would be adding devices to it. Ultimately, only if there were an electrical problem to diagnose or repair.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:10 AM

From what I read on their spec sheet it can be mounted about anywhere environmentally. For wiring purposes I would think 1. under the hood somewhere 2. under the dash on the firewall drivers side (there would be room I think) or 3. Under the rear seat on a pull out tray. All three options would be out of sight and except for under dash easy access.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:17 AM
Banned

Those are all good. I guess the most convenient would be under the seat. But thats also where I keep my long tools (snow brush-squegee-ice scraper, wrecking bar, etc.), so I would need to check for how much space it will leave. Under the hood could work, but I'm still looking to see where I'll put the 2 Optimas and Isolator (yes, I've seen the posts here).

Thank you!
Old 04-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Banned

Hi, Jonas,

I finally got back to the thing. There’s probably a very slim chance of reconfiguring the existing switches. They are multiplexing switches using a total of 4 leads (including ground) for 8 switches. My guess is that everything is soldered onto a PC board. It is definitely potted in epoxy and then immersed in silicon. I think it's designed for fire trucks and is made "hose proof." I will try to reach TST this week. They say they can custom configure these panels, but costs could get ugly. I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:07 PM

I was afraid of that. Somehow I thought that's what you would find. Sure would look good though.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:19 PM

tower~ your original question was on having to press the switch twice. It appears that if the sunroof comes to a LIMIT stop & you want to reverse the direction you have to press the switch twice. I don't like guessing but here's my best guess. There's logic built into both the H2 actuator motor and in the AutoLoc module. Probably what's happening is that when it comes to an H2 limit it prevails. The autoloc still thinks the sunroof is moving. Therefore, the first press resets the autoloc module & the second press actuates the sunroof motor. For some reason mine doesn't have the convenient stops so doesn't happen to me often. It's all still easier than holding the switch while it moves IMO.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Banned

Jonahs,

I just realized I misspelled your name in my last post. Sorry about that.

I'm going NUTS!!! I just bought my third rechargeable flashlight, hoping I might find somewhere really handy to mount it in the truck. (You know, for when you need to stop for someone you just know is going to be trouble). Among the items I had in the Tahoe (fire extinguisher, switchplate, flashlights, HAM radio, etc.) I am unable to find good mounting places for anything in the H2. I am about to blow a head gasket!!!
Old 04-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Tower, just outboard of the front seats on the B-pillar. You can mount something like a small extinguisher or a flashlight on each side there. There is also a little ledge in the plastic just above seat high on the B-pillar that cold be utilized for something.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:20 PM

LOL....boy isn't that the truth t~. As big as H2s are when you start looking around to mount/attach things there just isn't many places. I have a BIG 6 cell Hummer flashlight (big square thing) that I just sit in that recess up on the rear trim panel. Works fine there.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2005, 11:54 PM
Banned

Thank you Paragon & Jonahs.

P, which aspect of the B pillar are you suggesting, the forward one or the one facing the center of the vehicle? I will take another look after your reply. The B pillar fascia just seemed really flimsy for mounting a heavy light. Perhaps with a backer plate it might be all right.

LVJ, right now I use that area for disposable gloves, bandages and dressings. I wouldn't moving them somewhere else, but finding a place in the cargo bay isn't really what I’m after. (Remember, Jonahs, I only ask you the really tough questions.) My earlier post probably was a little too cryptic, but I want to mount it so that the light is in my hand either BEFORE or at least AS I exit the truck. Now work you magic for me, Whiz-Kid!
Old 04-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Banned

BTW, Jonahs,

Did you put that carpet in the utility tray in the photo? My '03 is just plastic.