Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 12-26-2006, 05:05 AM
Hummer Authority

K9sH3 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 9mm carriers, time to change

I want all of you in my corner when needed.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:09 AM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Kinetic energy does not wound. ... Of those that will penetrate the edge is always with the bigger bullet.

Sorry, but not true. For example, if you shoot a person with a 230 grain .45 ACP round capable of penetrating clean trough, the killing and stopping effect will be great, but will not even compare to what will happen if one shoots the same person at the same angle with a 180 grain .30 cal. 300 Winchester Magnum round - a smaller, narrower bullet. Extreme example, but it proves the point. I once had my uncle photograph me shooting a one-gallon water jug 8 ft from another one on level ground with a 150 grain 3,600 ft.-lb 300 Mag load. In the photo (I'll have to look for it), the plastic fragments are flying through the air, which is also filled with water vapor, and the shock waves knocked the other jug down - 8 ft away. Energy, as a matter of physics, is what kills something when you are doing it by ballistic projectile. It's science. Energy is the baseline for computing the ability to kill or shut down a living object. That baseline can, and will, be affected significantly by a combination of many factors such as bullet construction, the type of target, etc. For example, a high speed, high energy round, which is too-lightly jacketed will not penetrate sufficiently on a large animal to hit vitals. But, as a matter of science, energy kills. Most high energy rounds (by either pistol or rifle standards) will penetrate to through the vitals of a person. With the same placement, 300 Mag will kill any mammal faster than any bigger, wider, high-penetrating, lower-energy .45 handgun round every single time without exception. That’s because it imparts much more destructive energy on the target - ten times more energy.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:13 AM
Hummer Authority

RuggedH2 is on a distinguished road

velocity.

Not really fair to compare projectiles for rifles to handguns. Apples to oranges in spite of bullet caliber, due to velocity.

Point taken though velocity equates to energy.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Sorry, but not true. For example, if you shoot a person with a 230 grain .45 ACP round capable of penetrating clean trough, the killing and stopping effect will be great, but will not even compare to what will happen if one shoots the same person at the same angle with a 180 grain .30 cal. 300 Winchester Magnum round - a smaller, narrower bullet. Extreme example, but it proves the point. I once had my uncle photograph me shooting a one-gallon water jug 8 ft from another one on level ground with a 150 grain 3,600 ft.-lb 300 Mag load. In the photo (I'll have to look for it), the plastic fragments are flying through the air, which is also filled with water vapor, and the shock waves knocked the other jug down - 8 ft away. Energy, as a matter of physics, is what kills something when you are doing it by ballistic projectile. It's science. Energy is the baseline for computing the ability to kill or shut down a living object. That baseline can, and will, be affected significantly by a combination of many factors such as bullet construction, the type of target, etc. For example, a high speed, high energy round, which is too-lightly jacketed will not penetrate sufficiently on a large animal to hit vitals. But, as a matter of science, energy kills. Most high energy rounds (by either pistol or rifle standards) will penetrate to through the vitals of a person. With the same placement, 300 Mag will kill any mammal faster than any bigger, wider, high-penetrating, lower-energy .45 handgun round every single time without exception. That?s because it imparts much more destructive energy on the target - ten times more energy.

I agree with your assessment of rifle ammo versus handgun ammo. I have sat in on autopsies many times and see the differences. Plus, when in the Army, back in the days when we first switched from rocks to rifles I saw the effectiveness of rifle ammunition in killing. However, before stating something is incorrect, please read the source of the information, which was posted under the paragraph I quoted.
"US Department of Justice; Federal Bureau of Investigation, ?Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness,? FBI Academy Firearms Training Unit."
Old 12-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
I agree with your assessment of rifle ammo versus handgun ammo. I have sat in on autopsies many times and see the differences. Plus, when in the Army, back in the days when we first switched from rocks to rifles I saw the effectiveness of rifle ammunition in killing. However, before stating something is incorrect, please read the source of the information, which was posted under the paragraph I quoted.
"US Department of Justice; Federal Bureau of Investigation, ?Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness,? FBI Academy Firearms Training Unit."

Touch?. BTW, I think the .45 is a great caliber (though I prefer the .40 for various reasons). I do, however, think that a hot, 500-600 ft-lb 125 grain .357 load would do at least as much damage as a slower, larger 350 ft-lb .45 ACP load on a human torso shot, probably more - mostly because of the additional destructive energy it imparts. I'm not sure that I can prove it though. I own neither a .45 nor a .357 so I don't have a dog in that fight. The reason a rifle round inflicts such awesome damage is due to the tremendous velocities which produce a high kenetic-energy projectile (energy being based on the square of the velocity). It seems to me that the same reason would apply to higher-energy handgun rounds - though the differences would be less extreme.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got these in my .45 and think they'll do a fine job.

In the Glock 26 and S&W .357 I've got some damn fine hollow points. While the old .32 has some cheap range ammo, I think the others will do what they're supposed to.

Hey, what's best for bouncing around inside a head or chest cavity? A hot .22 or something?
Old 12-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Touch?. BTW, I think the .45 is a great caliber (though I prefer the .40 for various reasons). I do, however, think that a hot, 500-600 ft-lb 125 grain .357 load would do at least as much damage as a slower, larger 350 ft-lb .45 ACP load on a human torso shot, probably more - mostly because of the additional destructive energy it imparts. I'm not sure that I can prove it though. I own neither a .45 nor a .357 so I don't have a dog in that fight. The reason a rifle round inflicts such awesome damage is due to the tremendous velocities which produce a high kenetic-energy projectile (energy being based on the square of the velocity). It seems to me that the same reason would apply to higher-energy handgun rounds - though the differences would be less extreme.

I also prefer the .40. I will agree a .357 is a wicked round. But my experiences with the .357 SIG round is it is too damn loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD
[Hey, what's best for bouncing around inside a head or chest cavity? A hot .22 or something?

Depends on the head. As we all know, some heads are harder to penetrate than other heads.

Now, if y'all want a round that will do the trick...
Corbon, .50, 440-grain Cast Performance flatnose lead with 1625 fps velocity and 2578 ft-lbs energy at 49,500 psi. But you may have back problems carrying the pistol.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP
I've got these in my .45 and think they'll do a fine job.

Food for thought: http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs5.htm
Old 12-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
That's why I carry 9x23, but shot placement is as important as anything, if you miss, it doesn't matter what you are shooting...

Very true, and also, no mattter what caliber you have, it is worthless if not with you when needed.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Kinetic energy does not wound. Temporary cavity does not wound. The much discussed ?shock? of the bullet impact is a fable and knock down power is a myth. The critical element is penetration. The bullet must pass through the large, blood bearing organs and be of sufficient diameter to promote rapid bleeding. Penetration less than 12 inches is too little, and, too little penetration will get you killed. Given desirable and reliable penetrations, the only way to increase bullet effectiveness is to increase the severity of the wound by increasing the size of the hole made by the bulletin. Any bullet which will not penetrate through vital organs from less than optimal angles is not acceptable. Of those that will penetrate the edge is always with the bigger bullet. (US Department of Justice; Federal Bureau of Investigation, ?Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness,? FBI Academy Firearms Training Unit. (For Law Enforcement Dissemination Only. )

Two examples. One is the 9mm mentioned (I believe), the other is what I have loaded. At times I also carry a small Taurus 9mm, loaded with Corbon 115 Grain, +P.

From the FBI ballistics lab:
9mm, 115 Grain Federal JHP +P+
Test Gun: SIG 226
Velocity 1237 fps
Bare Gelatin Penetration: 11.25?
Bare Gelatin Expansion: .53?
Clothed Gelatin Penetration: 10.60?
Clothed Gelatin Expansion: .62?

.40, 165 Grain Federal Tactical HydraShok JHP
Barrel Length: 4?
Velocity 1007 fps
Bare Gelatin Penetration: 13.85?
Bare Gelatin Expansion: .62?
Clothed Gelatin Penetration: 15.15?
Clothed Gelatin Expansion: .64?

Not a very fair compairison the Hydroshock bullet has a steel rod built into its core which act as a penatrator. BTW Thats the only round I roll with. Got em for the .40 USP also have the Hydroshock 12gauge sabot slugs for the Beretta 1200 fp I hate personal injury lawsuits
Old 12-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I - Man
Not a very fair compairison the Hydroshock bullet has a steel rod built into its core which act as a penatrator. BTW Thats the only round I roll with. Got em for the .40 USP also have the Hydroshock 12gauge sabot slugs for the Beretta 1200 fp I hate personal injury lawsuits

Ditto on the Hydrashocks. As to the comparison being unfair, it would have even been worse with the 155 gr (1,140 fps) .40 S&W Hydrashock. That's the one I carry. The 165 gr. HS puts out only 352 ft-lb energy as opposed to 447 ft-lb for the 155 gr. round - 27% more for the latter. I've shot both of them at water jugs, and the 155 gr. cartridge is definitely more violent.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
That's why I carry 9x23, but shot placement is as important as anything, if you miss, it doesn't matter what you are shooting...

I like the ballistics of that round, but I don't know much about it. It's rimfire, right? What does it look like? What guns are chambered for it?
Old 12-26-2006, 11:30 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I - Man

Just to clear it up. Comparison of the bullets was mine to show the difference between what someone noted they carried (9mm) versus a .40 cal that I carry. Just a friendly comparision. Had nothing to do with the article I posted.