H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 08-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Hummer Veteran

Airman84 is on a distinguished road
Default Gas Cap Question...

I posted this in the GENERAL forum by accident so I am posting my question in the TECHNICAL forum. I am designing a military gas cap to fit on to the H3/H3T. I was wondering if there is anyway around the "check engine light" that comes on if the cap is off. Is the light only coming on because it needs a constant seal or is there something in the factory cap that prevents the light from coming on when it is properly attached? The dealer, ofcourse, is telling me that there is no-way around the light. I should be able to get a good seal, the caps I'm using were taken off... literally taken off... of military aircraft that have been used/flown for over 30+ years! FYI... I have them because they were removed from the aircraft for an upgraded model... no theft! lol. I will have pictures soon and once I get the design working without problems I will be more than happy to make acouple extras to those who would like one. Thanks!
2009 H3T, 5 Speed, Power Seat, Tow Package, Chrome Package(not by choice!), 2" Suspension Lift, 1" Body Lift, Custom Front Hitch Receiver Setup, Used USAF Aviation Fuel Receptical Mod(pix coming soon!), Off-road OEM Roof Lightbar, Custom made Back Rack, Jenson DVD/NAV/IPOD System, etc.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gas Cap Question...

I would say it would work if it was sealed.
Post some pics ,Ill take one as long as its not chromed
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

Try it out. Even if you throw a alarm code. It will clear itself after a while. You may be better off leaving the stock cap and making a mil type cover with a lock...
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

First off... NO CHROME! lol. I'm in the process of getting rid of the chrome package I had to get on my H3T. The system is straight off the airplanes... origional paint is red and unpainted aluminum.
I'm bascially worried that after I modify the area around the gas cap to accept the airplane recepticle that it might not create a great seal and the light will stay on until i put on the origional cap.
I do not want to just make a cover, when I make parts theyre all functional... not just for looks.
2009 H3T, 5 Speed, Power Seat, Tow Package, Chrome Package(not by choice!), 2" Suspension Lift, 1" Body Lift, Custom Front Hitch Receiver Setup, Used USAF Aviation Fuel Receptical Mod(pix coming soon!), Off-road OEM Roof Lightbar, Custom made Back Rack, Jenson DVD/NAV/IPOD System, etc.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:33 AM
Hummer Veteran

dlinden200 is on a distinguished road

I am interested in what you come up with.
I hate the gas cap and I do not want a locking door either. Those doors are nothing but problems. Especially when its 20 below, 50 mph wind, blizzard, and you drop the key in the snow.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

Just installed the cap on the truck, havent had the check engine light come up yet, fingers crossed! I'm going to take the cap and recepticale off and have the recepticale powdercoated flat black to match the black plastic around the filler neck. I have acouple pictures, i'll try and post them after work, came out great!
Old 08-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Hummer Guru

If seal wasnt good the light would go on within 15 to 30 minutes max.
Cant wait to see pics.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

I have acouple pic's... the cap and neck are origional, acouple people have said i should powdercoat them black, let me know what you think! I have two different designs of caps, the one pictured is not the one i'm going to use, just used it to mock up because the other one is more rare and didnt want to ruin it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gascap1.jpg (131.2 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg gascap2.jpg (78.2 KB, 474 views)
Old 08-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Hummer Guru

I would paint/powder coat black .
Looks cool, whats the other cap look like ?

Airman if you use the paper clip in the fonts above text box then click insert all the pics will come up in the post

Last edited by fourfourto : 08-12-2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 08-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

I've tried using that method to add pictures but it keeps coming up as an attachment. I must be doing something wrong, lol.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Hummer Guru

Airman how did the finished cap work out ?
I might be interested in one