H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 09-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Elcova Rookie

texasmontego is on a distinguished road
Default Costar Bluetooth Installed

First of all, I don't work for Costar, but when I find a feature that I'm very happy with, I feel the information can be helpful to others.

I just installed the Costar bluetooth in my wife's 2008 H3x. This has got to be the easiest and best feature that I've ever installed.
I've been wanting to install bluetooth in her truck since she got it a year ago, but I couldn't find anything that was going to look and work like a factory option. I'm very picky with the features I install in my vehicles. It's got to look factory or I won't install it. I didn't want something mounted to the dash that didn't match the interior and it had to be easy to operate or my wife won't use it.

I've ridin with my wife in the Hummer while she's on the phone and let's just say it's a little bit nerve racking from the passenger seat. So, in the interest of her safety and everyone else in the world, I felt it bluetooth was the best option to keep her hands on the wheel and not on the phone.

I was a bit nervous about the Costar piece, but I talked to Joe (at Costar) and he assured me it was going to be just what I was looking for.

If you don't know about the Costar piece, it utilizes the OnStar system's microphone and functionality through the radio system (mutes the radio for calls). So, if you don't have OnStar, you will need to contact them to see if they have something.

The installation was super easy. I first disconnected the battery. Since I was dealing with OnStar as well as the Airbag Light, I didn't know if it was going to give me an error light that I would have to get cleared by a dealer. I didn't want to risk it.
Removed the radio/AC center bezel. I just put my thumbs in the 12V outlets and pulled. The OnStar box is located below the radio and once you have the front bezel off, it's easy access to the OnStar plugs. Unplugged the OnStar VCIM box (big silver box, you can't miss it), plugged in the Costar and double-sided taped it to the OnStar box to prevent rattling. Put the Radio/AC bezle back on and I was done. Literally it took me 10 minutes from star to finish.

This device works awesome. I tried it with my iPhone4 and my wife's Blackberry Bold and both work. When you push the phone button, it activates the voice dialing feature on the phone. If you are use to the voice dialing like I am, it's a breeze. If not (like my wife), just make a call on your phone, push the Blue button and it will switch from the phone to the car. When you hang up, just push the phone button to end the call. It has the ability to handle call waiting, 3-way and a bunch of other options, but I haven't played with those yet.

I was going to include some pictures, but it was so easy and hidden, there's really no pictures to take.

Best part of all, my wife loves it. I printed out the manual and put it in her truck, so if she needs it, it's there. Showed her the basics and she loved it.

I've had bluetooth in two of my cars from the factory and this one works just as good as those. Just as easy too.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Hummer Expert

twr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Costar Bluetooth Installed

hi i have had mine for over a year, i also did a install write up with pictures on this forum. Costar just released a new update #0904 for his bluestar 2010.

2008 H2 SUV
Starr Hid projector headlights
Hid lights in the DRL bumper holes
Custom Alum. light bar, 2 Rigid Industries 10 inch Leds
MC2 Roof Light Bar
24 inch Starr 770 Hammer Rims
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

73 Duster 588 ci. B1 injected akly with NOS
Supercharged 2002 Harley, E Glide Classic
2005 Screamin Eagle, E Glide

http://twrbaggersplus.com/

Last edited by twr : 09-08-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Hummer Novice

USMCSKI is on a distinguished road

can you listen to MP3s and applications like pandora through the factory stereo using this or is it just for phone calls?
Old 10-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Hummer Expert

twr is on a distinguished road

Hi this for phone calls only at this time, but it has a mini usb port for updates. Chris at bluestar may add opions later.

2008 H2 SUV
Starr Hid projector headlights
Hid lights in the DRL bumper holes
Custom Alum. light bar, 2 Rigid Industries 10 inch Leds
MC2 Roof Light Bar
24 inch Starr 770 Hammer Rims
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

73 Duster 588 ci. B1 injected akly with NOS
Supercharged 2002 Harley, E Glide Classic
2005 Screamin Eagle, E Glide