H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-10-2004, 08:47 AM

drouke is off the scale

After having all of the work done that I discussed here:

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=99910 0057&p=1

I am noticing a thumping in what feels like my front right tire. There are a couple of things in my head as to what it could be but I'm not sure. When it was broght in for service the dealer said they found a nail in my left rear tire and would plug it. With that said could it be that they somehow didn't plug it right, as part of the 60 thousand mile service, rotated that tire to the front right and now the bad plug makes it thump? Or could it be because they replaced a Pitman and Idler arm, then did an alignment, maybe didn't do it right or perhaps knocked a weight off of the tire (would that make it thump?) Or could it be after 60 thousand miles I need new tires? As always thanks for everyone's input.

drouke is off the scale

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=99910 0057&p=1

I am noticing a thumping in what feels like my front right tire. There are a couple of things in my head as to what it could be but I'm not sure. When it was broght in for service the dealer said they found a nail in my left rear tire and would plug it. With that said could it be that they somehow didn't plug it right, as part of the 60 thousand mile service, rotated that tire to the front right and now the bad plug makes it thump? Or could it be because they replaced a Pitman and Idler arm, then did an alignment, maybe didn't do it right or perhaps knocked a weight off of the tire (would that make it thump?) Or could it be after 60 thousand miles I need new tires? As always thanks for everyone's input.

drouke is off the scale

Old 09-10-2004, 04:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

discofever is off the scale

I would rotate the suspect tire to the back to see if the thump goes away… If it doesn’t then you know its not the tire….
Old 09-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Or maybe swap out the suspect tire with your full size spare. If it goes away completely, then you know what it was!?!

Ric-H2
Old 09-12-2004, 02:34 PM

drouke is off the scale

Swapped the tire with the spare. It's still there, just less noticable.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:52 AM
Hummer Veteran

discofever is off the scale

Well, that may have just ruled out the tire being the problem.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

intimidator is off the scale

can it be felt in the steering wheel
does it get worse when braking
does it rattle;clunk;or bang over bumps
does it get worse with speed or stay the same
a little more information and we might be able to nail it down. when did you first notice it?
Old 09-14-2004, 12:47 AM

drouke is off the scale

Yes I feel it in the steering wheel, mostly when I'm turning right and at around 30 - 35 mph. Gets worse with speed but it's nothing startling, just clearly a vibration. I noticed it about 2 weeks ago when I got it back, I just passed it off as the tire and have been shopping for new tires so I didn't change the tire til the other day. I'm convinced it has something to do with the pitman and idler arm replacement that they did with my 60'000 mile service. It's going in to Hummer village tomorrow so we'll see what they have to say.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:52 PM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

I agree it is probably the idler arm and pitman arm replacement---they need to adjust them properly and check all other steering components------did they align the truck afterwards? That probably not cause the vibration but it should have been done.

Also, with real old tires and a new alignment, you could have vibration also, especially on 35's or larger.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:12 AM

drouke is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2mildandwild:
Also, with real old tires and a new alignment, you could have vibration also, especially on 35's or larger. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are the winner!

Or maybe they read your post???

This is exactly the explanation they gave me. New tires are going on after work today so we'll see if they are right.