H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 01-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

Sundown94 is off the scale
Default Need New Rear Tire Carrier

Hey Everyone! I have a 2003 H2 with the old style tire carrier...the one that is held shut by manually inserting a T-pin (or whatever you call that pin). Well, yesterday I took advantage of the warmer weather and washed the truck, but forgot to put the pin in the tire carrier to keep it shut. This morning on my way to work: BANG, SLAM, BANG!! At first I thought I hit a pothole. But then just as the second bang was about to happen, I saw the tire carrier closing in the rearview mirror and pulled over to put the pin in, but now it is all out of alignment and very hard to close. This happened to me a couple of times before, but I was lucky that nothing broke or went out of alignment. This time I didn't get so lucky. I am totally sick of this tire carrier and I know Hummer came out with a much better latch system that locks automatically when the carrier is closed. I think it is on 2005s or 2006s. Does anyone know where I can pick up one of these? Part numbers? Does it bolt into the same holes on the bumper as my current, crappy one (the last time I looked at one of the newer ones I thought they did use the same bolt pattern)?
Old 01-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

Default Re: Need New Rear Tire Carrier

I just went on GMPARTSDIRECT.COM and found a "Carrier Assy" for $599.02 (MSRP $976.24), which appears to be the tire carrier assembly for 2005-2007 H2s. I think this is the one I am referring to above, but I'm still not sure if this will simply bolt right up to my 2003 H2. And from the sketch they provide, I am also not exactly sure if the latch is the automatic one that I was also referring to above. Can anyone help me answer these two questions before I fork out $600? Thanks again!!
Old 01-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Hummer Expert

Tex_h2 is on a distinguished road

Why don't you find an inside carrier...I love the clean look from the back
Old 01-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

I have thought about that, especially when something like this happens. But, having the tire located inside the vehicle next to the third row seat really chews up the remaining room that I have inside the truck. At least the 3rd row seat is easy to take out when I need more room, but I don't think taking the spare out is as quick and easy (and even then, I would have to drive around without a spare when I need the room inside).
Old 01-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Hummer Expert

brad_p is on a distinguished road

gobi rack on the roof
[---\-|-----[ -OIIIIIIIO-]
"(O) ) ---- (O) )/"H2"\) )
Old 01-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks for the suggestion on the gobi roof rack, but I think I want to keep the spare on the back of the truck though. I like it on the back of the truck because it is relatively easy to get to (not sure how I would ever lift the tire up onto the roof, or get it back down by myself if I ever needed to use the spare) and it is out of the way. I just don't like my current spare tire carrier and want to switch to the newer version that came on the 2005-2007 H2s...if it fits.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown94
Thanks for the suggestion on the gobi roof rack, but I think I want to keep the spare on the back of the truck though. I like it on the back of the truck because it is relatively easy to get to (not sure how I would ever lift the tire up onto the roof, or get it back down by myself if I ever needed to use the spare) and it is out of the way. I just don't like my current spare tire carrier and want to switch to the newer version that came on the 2005-2007 H2s...if it fits.

Getting it down is easy. Just throw it and hope it doesn't roll too far.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

Conincidence...

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/546294226.html