H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 01-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

Sundown94 is off the scale
Default Good OBD II Scanner???

My Service Engine Soon light came on a couple of days ago and I would like to find out what the code is BEFORE taking it to the dealer or mechanic (I don't want to pay them ~$100 just to tell me I had a loose gas cap...I could probably put that money towards buying my own scanning tool to tell me what the code is now and for future SES occurances). So, does anyone know of a good OBD II scanning tool that I can buy? Are they expensive? Maybe you can suggest a good, basic-featured model that is cheaper and a good full-featured model that is more expensive.
Thanks!!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Hummer Expert

CONRAD II is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good OBD II Scanner???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown94
My Service Engine Soon light came on a couple of days ago and I would like to find out what the code is BEFORE taking it to the dealer or mechanic (I don't want to pay them ~$100 just to tell me I had a loose gas cap...I could probably put that money towards buying my own scanning tool to tell me what the code is now and for future SES occurances). So, does anyone know of a good OBD II scanning tool that I can buy? Are they expensive? Maybe you can suggest a good, basic-featured model that is cheaper and a good full-featured model that is more expensive.
Thanks!!

I'm almost certain that On Star will tell you what the code is and what it refers to if you push the little blue button and ask for HELP!

03' White 2 Door H1 Pickup w/ 2in. body lift
05' BLACK SUT SLANTBACK Magnacharged w\ 12lb pulley, 6in. Fabtech lift, tierods, BUILT 4L80E tranny, 5.13 gears
66' VETTE STINGRAY
12' DODGE RAM 2500 CUMMINS 4X4 W/ FRONT & REAR LOCKERS
07' Z06
Old 01-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

But I don't subscribe to On-Star, so I have always figured that the On-Star unit is just a waste of space in my dash. If I push the help button, will it really tell me, or will On-Star ask me for a credit card first and then tell me?
Old 01-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Elcova Rookie

OWSI is on a distinguished road

Try an Actron scanner. You can get one for as little as $40.00 from Amazon of all places. That one will give you the code and allow you to erase. Others available to do in depth of all sensors, etc. Of course they cost more. Last time I looked in Sears, they actually carried a couple in stock albeit at higher prices.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

So I went out to Sears last night and bought a scanner. I got a little carried away and bought a $179 ODB II scanner that can scan for codes, do a live scan, and reset the computer. When I got home, I ran the scanner and codes P0174 and P0171 came up (in that exact order). These codes tell me that Banks 2 and 1, respectively, are running lean. I already had an appointment set up with the mechanic today so I figured I would bring the truck in and have him tell me what specifically was causing these two codes. However, this morning I started my truck and suddenly the Check Engine Light light was off (and I did NOT clear the codes/computer when I had the scanner hooked up last night). I can tell you with 100% certainty that the light originally came on a week ago during very cold temps here in the Northeast (it was only 15 degrees that morning). For the past two days, we have been experiencing above average temps (60 degrees), so I think the light came on because of the cold weather. But why??? It never did this any previous year.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Hummer Novice

OU812 is on a distinguished road

I no nothing about the H2 codes / lights. However, on my Ford Explorer I had installed a CAI which I believe is causing my check engine light to come on every once and awhile, but it too would after awhile reset itself. I have heard that some can clear themselves if the fault clears (accept I don't know the accuracy of that statement). On others I know for a fact that you can do things to "manually" clear them, e.g., cycle the ignition key like 50 times. On my Ford, I don't know which is causing the light to reset. I do not cycle mine 50 times, but I have never counted. I have bought the ScanGuageII based on a Group Buy, but the light has not reappeared since I bought the thing.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

For anyone interested, the mechanic said last night that his diagnostic testing revealed that my intake manifold gaskets were leaking and are real close to failing. He said that the extremely cold weather may have caused the intake to shrink more than what the gaskets could handle and the computer detected a leak before the manifold had time to completely warm up and close the gap. Now that we are back in more normal temps, the intake is not so cold and the gasket is just barely making the seal, thus the mechanic said that the intake gasket will probably fail permanently VERY SOON. I wonder if I should return the scanner now. Or maybe locally advertise that I can read codes for $10 per car to recoup the cost of the scanner.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:03 AM
Hummer Professional

mdoyle is on a distinguished road

A few years ago we had a Chrysler Town & Country that went into limp mode where the transmission stays in 2nd gear so you can get to a dealer. Since we were near the intersection of middle and nowhere, we bought a scanner and reset the code.

It took a few more resets but we finally made it back home so the scanner saved us a very expensive tow and another night in the local roach motel. Since then I've used it several times as have most of my friends, neighbors and co-workers.

When you consider the wide range of vehicles and model years supported by OBD-II, it's worth keeping. Even if you end up at a mechanic, some of them will discount the diagonstic fee if you bring them the codes. I figure at the minimum you'll at least demonstrate you know the score and will be less likely to be taken advantage of.

One word of advice to anyone considering buying one, some code readers only provide an error code that you then must look up in a code book. That's okay as long as you don't lose the book, if possible look for a reader that displays a code description so a separate book isn't required.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks for sharing your experience and the advice about owning a scanner. The one I bought tells me everything I need to know directly on the display (no book required) and is updatable from the internet by connecting it to my home computer. Also, I never told my mechanic that I read the codes before bringing my truck in, and when I picked it up, he told me the same codes that the scanner told me...so I think I trust him a little more now.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:21 AM
Hummer Professional

mdoyle is on a distinguished road

You're welcome! Looks like we own just about the same truck, right down to the color & year (except mine's an adventure pkg instead of lux).
Old 01-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Hummer Veteran

Just this past week, my check engine light came back on. Same codes. I love my OBD-II scanner tool (Innova 3110). Fortunately when I bought my pre-owned H2, I negotiated with the dealer to throw in an extended warranty (bumper-to-bumper, through 2010 or 100,000 miles) for free!! So all diagnostics ($100) and intake manifold repairs ($350) were done for $50.

Last edited by Sundown94 : 01-28-2008 at 06:27 PM.