H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-19-2010, 01:31 AM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default Instrumentation Illumination Question

Does anyone know the specs for the little light bulbs used in the various instumentation controls? Specifically, what voltage is applied to illuminate these bulbs? 3.2 volts? 5 volts? 12 volts?

Why am I asking? What am I trying to achieve?

I've been struggling lately to keep all of the lights on the various instrument controls lit...buttons for the AC, icons around the rear wiper, headlight control, etc. These little bulbs seem to burn out after about 3-4 years of use.

Recently I purchased a replacement AC control unit from a fellow member to repair my defective one, unfortunately the replacementt control has several buttons that do not light up when the headlights are on. I disassembled the unit and found the bulbs to be burnt out. To my surprise, the bulbs were incadescent and not LED. My goal is to un-solder these bulbs and replace them witth LED 'bulbs.'

A recent trip to Radio Shack led me to discover that LED lights are available in 3.2 volt and 5 volt versions. Hence this thread...does anyone know what voltage is applied to the OEM incadescent bulbs? I realize that I can probably figure this out on my own by connecting a voltmeter to the bulb's leads while the headlights are on...but I thought I'd throw the question out there before I go down that route.

My ultimate goal will be to replace all of the incadescent bulbs in the various controls with LEDs. It's a full-time job trying to keep all of the instumentation lit and I hope that LEDs will keep this from becoming a recurring problem.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:40 AM
Hummer Novice

Road Warrior H2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Instrumentation Illumination Question

I am not sure of the voltage, but would think 12V as I have not seen 5V lighting other then in electronic components.
If you can hook it up to the power plug and measure with a meter while you have it apart, that will tell you and also the polarity, because LED's will not work if installed reverse even in the plug in lighting available.
I was going to change some bulbs in my dash guages when I had the dash apart, but that is tape sealed with a sticker that says void if opened so I am not sure if those bulbs even can be changed or plug in and left it for now.
Maybe someone else has tried this and can let us all know..
Old 09-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Hummer Professional

H2R is on a distinguished road

I have always favored LED due to low current draw and longer working life. I have changed many bulbs in the boat and Rig but just havn't gone so far. I am sure it can work but would depend on how much brightness you would want to match other instrumentation.
1974 Corvette conv. (454ci)
31ft Gulf Craft Boat
Old 09-20-2010, 04:52 AM
Hummer Authority

I'll probably hook the disassembled unit up this weekend and get some readings wth my voltmeter. I'm just gonna start replacing all the bulbs with LEDs.

I'll post pics and my results in this thread in case anyone is interested in following.

I think I'm gonna tackle the AC control unit and the instrument cluster first...my speedometer light has been out for months.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:07 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
I'll probably hook the disassembled unit up this weekend and get some readings wth my voltmeter. I'm just gonna start replacing all the bulbs with LEDs.

I'll post pics and my results in this thread in case anyone is interested in following.

I think I'm gonna tackle the AC control unit and the instrument cluster first...my speedometer light has been out for months.

I know this is an old post but what did you have to disassemble to replace the bulbs in the ac control unit. Did you take the whole thing apart or do the buttons pop off?

I noticed I?ve got several out recently and haven?t had a moment to look at it.

Thanks bud,

Mark
Old 09-05-2011, 02:01 AM
Hummer Authority

I took the whole thing out and apart. I bought some LEDs to replace the bulbs but was having difficulty finding someone to solder them in place; so I just bit the bullet and bought a brand new control unit.

Surprisingly the manufacture date on the new one was from 2010, so I'm hoping they've put better bulbs in this one. Finger crossed.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:33 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
I took the whole thing out and apart. I bought some LEDs to replace the bulbs but was having difficulty finding someone to solder them in place; so I just bit the bullet and bought a brand new control unit.

Surprisingly the manufacture date on the new one was from 2010, so I'm hoping they've put better bulbs in this one. Finger crossed.

Is it safe to say that you can?t pop the covers off and replace the bulbs back with normal bulbs?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 09-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Hummer Authority

Nope...those little, fragile bulbs are soldered in place.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Nope...those little, fragile bulbs are soldered in place.

Greaaat... damn GM. Guess I?ll pull the panel out and send it out. There?s a company we use that does all sorts of repair work to instrument panels, speedometers, radios, etc, etc...

Just out of curiousity, how much was your replacement unit?

New or used?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 09-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Hummer Authority

I went with a new one...I think it was just under $200. So far, so good, all buttons still lit.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Hummer Guru

Thanks bud, I appreciate it. For under 200 bucks, it?s not worth me taking it out and getting it repaired. I?ll have more in it than that repairing it and shipping.... not to mention downtime.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 05-25-2012, 04:05 AM
Hummer Veteran

Sundown94 is off the scale

I know this is an older post and apologize for bringing it up again, but I was just wondering where you all bought your new AC controls at? In an earlier post tonight, I mentioned that I am working on replacing several items in my dash due to bulb issues, and this is one of the items needing replacement. I looked on gmpartsdirect, and they wanted something like $270. Eventually, I will have to replace my guage cluster too (a bulb is out behind the speedo and I have recently lost my PRND321 lighting as well...it is there but just extremely dim). Thanks!
Old 05-25-2012, 04:13 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown94
I know this is an older post and apologize for bringing it up again, but I was just wondering where you all bought your new AC controls at? In an earlier post tonight, I mentioned that I am working on replacing several items in my dash due to bulb issues, and this is one of the items needing replacement. I looked on gmpartsdirect, and they wanted something like $270. Eventually, I will have to replace my guage cluster too (a bulb is out behind the speedo and I have recently lost my PRND321 lighting as well...it is there but just extremely dim). Thanks!

A few things...

I think (it?s been a while since I pulled mine apart) the PRND321 has regular light bulbs behind it, I can?t remember if they?re LED?s or not. Perhaps someone one here can verify.

The lights on the speedometer can be repaired by someone that works on them.

When I put the diesel in my mine, I needed to replace the gauge cluster with one out of an HD2500. He was able to reprogram, change and fix things I didn?t know you could do on a gauge cluster. (I found him on ebay)

The buttons on the steering wheel can be replaced by popping them out. (I know you didn?t mention it but I?m on a roll...lol)

And last but not least, you may as well suck up the 270 bucks. I was unable to find anything else... not saying it?s not out there, just for the brief amount of time I looked, I didn?t find anything.

Good luck.

Mark
Old 05-25-2012, 04:57 AM
Hummer Veteran

Sundown94 is off the scale

Thanks Mark!! I think I will just spend the $270.

I have replaced the steering wheel switches a few times already, so I am getting real good at that.

I did hear that the guage cluster was hard fix, so I will wait for another bulb to burn out and then finally buy a new one I think. If I do that, then I will send my original to someone who can repair it so that I have one "in stock" for when the bulbs in the new one eventually burn out.

So you converted to Diesel? I have read a little about it...seems like a very daunting task, and something for which you will need a lot of spare time and $$ to do. I would love to have diesel in mine, especially since I was pulling a boat for a while and the current engine was struggling on hills. If I ever go back to boating again, it will suck to finally see the H2 go (I'd sell it because I wouldn't try to tow anything now that it has 130K miles on it). I wonder how many people did the conversion and if anyone is selling their diesel H2.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:11 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown94
I wonder how many people did the conversion and if anyone is selling their diesel H2.

Ask and you shall receive....

H2 diesel
for sale....