H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 11-13-2003, 11:55 AM

H2mike is off the scale

Does anyone, who installed headers, notice a difference in sound in the interior or exterior? I can hear a difference in the sound near the headers...like a slight tapping noise. I figured this was normal due to a thinner-wall metal and greater exhaust flow. That is not a problem. My problem is in the interior noise. When the engine is under load, it actually sounds like an exhaust leak (on the drivers side). I have Gibson SS headers and have used BOTH the OEM gaskets and Gibson supplied, to see if there was a difference. Nothing...same results. Now the odd part...It seems like the noise will fluctuate when I corner right or left. It will get slightly louder and almost go away when I am cornering. Any ideas??? I have torqued the headers to the right specs and retorqued after a week or two. Is this normal...what is my next step.

Thanks

Mike - Station 38 Fire Chief -
'03 Sunset, Lux, Sunroof, Air Suspension, HID's, eXtreme Tubes w/ 4 PIAA's, SMA HD Brush Gaurd, SMA Valance w/ PIAA 520's, Stainless HUMMER Inserts, Gibson SS Headers, Corsa SS Sport exhaust, Husky Liners, 12 Hide Away Strobes, Whelen Dash Dual Strobe, 2 Whelen LED bars, Remote Mount Motorola Low Band, XM Radio
\'03 Sunset, Lux, Sunroof, Air Suspension, HID\'s, eXtreme Tubes w/ 4 PIAA\'s, Warn 9.5ti winch, SMA HD Brush Gaurd w/ 2 PIAA 525\'s, SMA Valance w/ PIAA 520\'s, Stainless HUMMER Inserts, Gibson SS Headers, Corsa SS Sport e
Old 11-13-2003, 11:55 AM

H2mike is off the scale

Does anyone, who installed headers, notice a difference in sound in the interior or exterior? I can hear a difference in the sound near the headers...like a slight tapping noise. I figured this was normal due to a thinner-wall metal and greater exhaust flow. That is not a problem. My problem is in the interior noise. When the engine is under load, it actually sounds like an exhaust leak (on the drivers side). I have Gibson SS headers and have used BOTH the OEM gaskets and Gibson supplied, to see if there was a difference. Nothing...same results. Now the odd part...It seems like the noise will fluctuate when I corner right or left. It will get slightly louder and almost go away when I am cornering. Any ideas??? I have torqued the headers to the right specs and retorqued after a week or two. Is this normal...what is my next step.

Thanks

Mike - Station 38 Fire Chief -
'03 Sunset, Lux, Sunroof, Air Suspension, HID's, eXtreme Tubes w/ 4 PIAA's, SMA HD Brush Gaurd, SMA Valance w/ PIAA 520's, Stainless HUMMER Inserts, Gibson SS Headers, Corsa SS Sport exhaust, Husky Liners, 12 Hide Away Strobes, Whelen Dash Dual Strobe, 2 Whelen LED bars, Remote Mount Motorola Low Band, XM Radio
\'03 Sunset, Lux, Sunroof, Air Suspension, HID\'s, eXtreme Tubes w/ 4 PIAA\'s, Warn 9.5ti winch, SMA HD Brush Gaurd w/ 2 PIAA 525\'s, SMA Valance w/ PIAA 520\'s, Stainless HUMMER Inserts, Gibson SS Headers, Corsa SS Sport e
Old 11-13-2003, 04:14 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you checked where the collector bolts to the exhaust? I have the Edelbrock headers and B&B stainless exhaust system and the flanges on the exhaust side would bend a little and cause a leak.

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Polished Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow.
1994 Chev 454 Suburban, Blown, Doug Thorley
1970 Trans Am, balanced, blue printed, Hooker ceramics

www.4swimwear.com
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:17 PM

H2 Daddy is off the scale

H2Mike

I also have the Gibson SS headers, but do not have any problems with noise. I used the Gibson gaskets. I know this post doesn't help you much, but I thought you want some input from other Gibson owners.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:46 PM
Hummer Expert

Orbital H2 is off the scale

that ticking noise is most likely your exhaust leak, I had that problem on a race car, I had to take the header off and examine it agains a straight edge, then build it uop and grind it smooth.
make sure that you use a fresh gasket with every mate and demate of the header adn a good sealer, and let is cure before starting it up.

H2 Black Lux, Air Suspension, AEM Intake, soon to be blacked out...
Black 02 Fatboy
300ZX TT 500Hp, 10.5Sec completely Blacked out, Wolfe Sport 600 Turbo, Billet Aluminum FlyWheel, Carbon Claw RPS Turbo Clutch, Dual Pop Intake, HKS Intercoolers/Exhaust