H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Hummer Expert

RazM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My h2's done with

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_p
What do you guys think of fj's?

Run away from the FJ Cruiser, it's NOT reliable.

Many FJ's that have been wheeled have been having their body ripping at the crumple zones, and from the looks of it, Toyota is giving them the run around with no real fix. Here's a link:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...body-rips.html

The stock angles are a joke too, 32/29.

Also, you won't be able to fit 4 adults in there, the back seats are useless.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Hummer Expert

brad_p is on a distinguished road

Yes would be a nice project, but its my only transportation would be different if i had multiple cars, Only 21 so i havent got that far in life to have projects of that extent. Im not getting a rover i will probably be ending up in a FJ, I thought long and hard about the h3 vs fj and for the money i think i will be better off in a fj.
[---\-|-----[ -OIIIIIIIO-]
"(O) ) ---- (O) )/"H2"\) )
Old 02-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Yes would be a nice project, but its my only transportation would be different if i had multiple cars, Only 21 so i havent got that far in life to have projects of that extent. Im not getting a rover i will probably be ending up in a FJ, I thought long and hard about the h3 vs fj and for the money i think i will be better off in a fj.

I take it you didn't read my post? The H3 is far superior, from capability to comfort to overall quality.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:01 AM
Hummer Expert

splne1 is on a distinguished road

Man that was a close one. Hope every thing goes smooth with the new motor. Diesel is a damn good project i agree with that but time consuming and money consuming .
Old 02-13-2009, 01:55 AM
Hummer Veteran

Luv2Camp is on a distinguished road

I just traded in my 98 Disco to my Hummer dealer when I bought my 06 LUX H2. I owned the Rover since 2000 and it was one great vehicle for me. It was on the beach EVERY weekend when we lived in NY. The only issues I had with the vehicle the 9 years that we owned it was steering box leaked and exhaust rotted (due to the salt water I am sure!) at 98000 miles I had to replace the front calipers and the radiator... For a British vehicle and all of the horror stories I have heard I must have been one of the lucky ones! TThe thing that I would be scared of on the newere ones is the air shocks as they have had a TON of problems with them... BUT I have to say that the best thing was trading it in to get our H2...... We love the vehicle. On a side note, I just changed the gear oil in the diffs tonight and still have to laugh that the GM gear oil actiually states that the gear oil now has a grape scent to it. WHAT???? I have to admit I did smell it and it does have a grape scent. Do they do this so they can smell the fluid on a a bad rear to tell if the fluid has been replaced with something other than the GM issue oil???
Old 02-13-2009, 02:43 AM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale

85k miles really isnt a ton of miles on todays engine. Did you drive it hard? did you change oil often enough? If the body and interior are good condition Id go for the new engine. You'll save on insurance, taxes, and depreciation of todays SUV's. You'll miss your H2 in 2 weeks time!! Maybe look for another used H2? Good deals.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:44 AM
Hummer Expert

Well im not wanting to buy used so the fj i would get will be good, i think you are misinformed on reliability becasue toyota has a great reputation of making solid and reliable products, i know the h3 is far better off road but like i said before the whole time i had my h2 i used the angles that hummer has to offer only on one occasion and it was at a hummer even in texas, Im in louisiana there is not much that cant be driven over or simply around out here. Like i said before the most offroading i do is simply hitting the beach for a ride and possably doing some trail type off road stuff. As far a heavy mud ive seen what it does, and thats tear up all kinds of stuff. And i dont think ill be climbing shelves like i did up in barnwell with my h2. I still love hummer infact today when i was unpacking all my stuff from it at the dealer there were moment that i felt like i was loosing a pet (Some will understand some wont). I hate to see it go but it has gotten to the point that i dont trust it mechanicaly (Not say this about all hummers, i did a fair amount of abuse to mine but i think it was a lemon)
Old 02-13-2009, 02:49 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercooled
85k miles really isnt a ton of miles on todays engine. Did you drive it hard? did you change oil often enough? If the body and interior are good condition Id go for the new engine. You'll save on insurance, taxes, and depreciation of todays SUV's. You'll miss your H2 in 2 weeks time!! Maybe look for another used H2? Good deals.

I agree with you about that i probably will miss it but i can live with it, Im young and dont demand superior comfort although it is nice and its just to expensive for someone my age to have, I obviously didnt buy mine that way out of my price range, my father gave it to me. He says its time for me to take responability so i have to be more open to the more normal things in life.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:07 AM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale

Quote:
, my father gave it to me. He says its time for me to take responability so i have to be more open to the more normal things in life.

Your father is right. Living beyond our means is what got us in this recession. Someday you can venture back to Hummer. Nobody gave me anything in life. I worked for every ounce of it. Sometimes you have to sacrifice to get what you want down the road. Good luck!

Id go h3 at the least! I'm not a toyota fan. Had one, never again.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:11 AM
Hummer Professional

hummeraddict is on a distinguished road

Is this common to lose an engine after only 85K? Seems really sketchy to me. I owned a GMC Jimmy at the age of 18 and put 225,000 miles on it and didn't have any engine problem. Maybe its due to the weight of the vehicle and how much strain it might put on the engine? i don't know.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:33 AM
Hummer Veteran

xZach is on a distinguished road

Maybe its about maintenince/driving style...

Or it could just be the engine, think about how many 6.0L Vortecs have been made between h2s, escalades, denalis, GMC/Chevy 3/4 tons etc... A few were bound to be bad engines
Old 02-13-2009, 04:44 AM
Hummer Expert

No its very uncomon, another gm with this motor is 2500 non duramax trucks. I have a friend that manages a mechanic shop and he talked to a mechanic of 30 years and since that motor has came out in 1999 he has replaced 2, one was in a ambulance and the other was in a truck with damn near 300k miles on it. Also today at the dealer while i was unpacking my stuff from it i talked to a mechanic that had been there for 5 years and i asked how many has he known of that have went out, he smiled pointed to mine and said that one. I do have a heavy foot but i dont think that it would do that, something must have been wrong. Like you said there are bad ones every so often.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:45 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Well im not wanting to buy used so the fj i would get will be good, i think you are misinformed on reliability becasue toyota has a great reputation of making solid and reliable products, i know the h3 is far better off road but like i said before the whole time i had my h2 i used the angles that hummer has to offer only on one occasion and it was at a hummer even in texas, Im in louisiana there is not much that cant be driven over or simply around out here. Like i said before the most offroading i do is simply hitting the beach for a ride and possably doing some trail type off road stuff. As far a heavy mud ive seen what it does, and thats tear up all kinds of stuff. And i dont think ill be climbing shelves like i did up in barnwell with my h2. I still love hummer infact today when i was unpacking all my stuff from it at the dealer there were moment that i felt like i was loosing a pet (Some will understand some wont). I hate to see it go but it has gotten to the point that i dont trust it mechanicaly (Not say this about all hummers, i did a fair amount of abuse to mine but i think it was a lemon)

Toyota's whole "reputation" is based on their excessive marketing that constantly bombards people into believing their cars are something special. The figures show otherwise.

Just a little tidbit, the platform the FJ was built on is the Prado, and it had the same issues of ripping body panels. There's no guarantee that the new FJ's are reliable, and some people have even been having their frames rip at the crossmembers.

Something is up with these vehicles, and Toyota is trying to sweep it under the rug until they stop producing the FJC. They've already cancelled any updates to it. I wouldn't step into one personally...
Old 02-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

Rene S. Nielsen is off the scale

Brad_p

Put a used engine in that H2 and get back on the road. I bought a used engine with 17.000 km (around 10.000 miles) on it for 3.000$ from a guy called Wade Nowlin. (I can find his adress and phone number if you would like that).

The engine looked like it was brand new and it's spinning.

It will take about 2 days to change the engine if you have the tools to do it. Maybe someone here can do it faster.

Rene
Old 02-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Hummer Expert

Im getting 13 for it as is, i know its low but i dont ever see me getting above 18 for it, And it only gets older and more miles. Its smarter for me to get something new, even though i realy want my hummer.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazM
Toyota's whole "reputation" is based on their excessive marketing that constantly bombards people into believing their cars are something special. The figures show otherwise.

Just a little tidbit, the platform the FJ was built on is the Prado, and it had the same issues of ripping body panels. There's no guarantee that the new FJ's are reliable, and some people have even been having their frames rip at the crossmembers.

Something is up with these vehicles, and Toyota is trying to sweep it under the rug until they stop producing the FJC. They've already cancelled any updates to it. I wouldn't step into one personally...

I think every car has is linked to some bad rumor in every way, some are true. For instance if i would have asked about a hummer in a fj forum im sure i would have gotten flooded with all kinds of nonsense. For me its the smart thing to do, and i dont think that there is anything out there more reliable than a Honda or a toyota"ill get flamed for this but its simply my opinion based on what ive seen". And if your right and it does not hold up, thats what warrenties are for.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Im getting 13 for it as is, i know its low but i dont ever see me getting above 18 for it, And it only gets older and more miles. Its smarter for me to get something new, even though i realy want my hummer.

look at http://forums.landroverworld.org/ for info on LR3's. You'll find out what goes wrong with them, what they do to off road them, what kind of off roading they do, and what mods can be done to them. LR3's are known for their electrical issues and air bag malfunctions. Those known issues don;t make it a bad truck...and of course most owners on a HUMMER forum are going to bag on the LR3....it's not a HUMMER.

They do ride nice as a DD, easy to park, If you get the HD package you get a rear locker and yes, they do wheel. you can get the Goodyear MTR's now in teh US in teh 19' size that the LR3's rims come with, and there are al kinds of bumper, skids you can get too. So you can wheel them!!!! It will not compare to how your H2 rides on road or of, but overall I think it's a nice comfrtable vehicle. When you take your LR in for service, you get a LR for your rental EVERY time too...unlike GM where they you whatever $hitbox is laying around. 15K off sticker is everywhere on these leftover 08 LR3's and 09's are starting to come down as well.

If it were and was getting out of HUMMER, and wanted something that I could take to teh beach and moderate off road once or twice a year, that LR3 would be a great choice. But don;t count on fuel economy being much better that a stock H2.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

Cesardajr is on a distinguished road

take the 13k and get a used h2 for 22K-25k you will owe about 10k@ 60months with good credit you can have a $200 payment and still have a newer h2 with a factory warranty.
just a thought....
37x12.50xR17 BFG Mud Terrain's
Ready Lift Front Leveling Kit 2 1/2"
Cognito Steering Support Kit
Cognito Idler Pivot Kit
Fabtech Steering Stabilizer
Fabtech Tie Rods
Power Slot Slotted Rotors
Crown Performance Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Off Road Unlimited Black Diff Cover & RP Diff Fluid
Hypertech Power Programmer
True Flow Foam Air Filter
Old 02-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
I think every car has is linked to some bad rumor in every way, some are true. For instance if i would have asked about a hummer in a fj forum im sure i would have gotten flooded with all kinds of nonsense. For me its the smart thing to do, and i dont think that there is anything out there more reliable than a Honda or a toyota"ill get flamed for this but its simply my opinion based on what ive seen". And if your right and it does not hold up, thats what warrenties are for.

*Are* you even reading what I wrote you, or the forum that I linked to?

It's NOT a rumor (heck, its actual OWNERS who found/reported the issue) and THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROBLEM, go read the hundreds of pages on the issue, Toyota is screwing their own customers over.

Whatever, it's your truck...

Last edited by RazM : 02-13-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't I hear that LR was going to be bought out by an Indian company? Maybe I Dreamt it....
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.