Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > General Hummer Talk > Off-Roading

Old 02-07-2003, 09:25 PM

JJ is off the scale

Okay, how about some experienced insights on "How to judge a slope". Do you guys/gals have photos of your off-road machines on slopes of a known angle (or best guess known)? I'd like to have an idea before I get on a slope as to the approximate angle it represents. Or do you just approach it slowly and get a feel for the vehicle attitude?

JJ
Old 02-07-2003, 09:25 PM

JJ is off the scale

Okay, how about some experienced insights on "How to judge a slope". Do you guys/gals have photos of your off-road machines on slopes of a known angle (or best guess known)? I'd like to have an idea before I get on a slope as to the approximate angle it represents. Or do you just approach it slowly and get a feel for the vehicle attitude?

JJ
Old 02-09-2003, 02:16 AM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

I use my gut. At first I was going up and down slopes with healthy reluctance until I got a better feel. A couple things I learned. Keep an eye on the contours in the road and try to keep the vehicle steady with minimal rocking and dipping in holes. Stay in control by concentrating on the path you intend for your tires to take 10-20 feet in front of you, as opposed to not anticipating the exact path the tires will go. Also when going down steep slopes particularly short ones, the less brake the better so long as you are in control. I remember going down a very steep slope and the first time I braked and almost go to rolling sideways. Very uncomfortable. After watching another guy I tried it and it was so much easier with no break and some speed.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:30 PM

Mike97ZJ is off the scale

It is very unerving at first, going up and down very steep hills. Especially going up, where all you can see is your hood and the sky. In this case, if the terrain is uneven, you need to be able to rely on your spotter. On the really steep stuff, you should always be in first gear, low range. That will give you the most engine braking and allow you to stay off of your brakes.

Same thing with off camber trails. It always feels so much worse than it is, because it's an unatural postion to be in. It always seems to feel worse when the driver's side is downhill, too. One tip is to fight the temptation to cock your head to the side to compensate for the angle. All that does is screw up your perception of the angle even more.

Also, if you DO get into the situation where a rollover is emminent, steer downhill and hit the gas, if possible. That might just save you from going over.

*member of the \"No Hummer Krew\"*
Old 02-10-2003, 01:05 AM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

Mike that if very good advice on your last point on rollover. Once I felt I was going to tip and my instinct was to hit the brake, which would increase the risk of tipping.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:47 AM
Hummer Expert

Arizona Hummerboy is an unknown quantity at this point

What I like to do is, I will walk the hill that I am climbing, I will look for ruts, pot holes, large rocks, and how the road is layed out. and I do the same if I am going down a hill for the frist time.
It pays to be safe, out there. And there been some hills I just walk away from.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:49 AM

Mike97ZJ is off the scale

Z, yeah, braking in that situation is BAD. It's your first instinct to do it though, and first instincts are hard to fight. You just need to train yourself.

Braking in certain situations is bad because it throws the weight transfer off, and not in your favor either.

When doing it going downhill, it puts even MORE weight on the front end, and takes the weight off the back wheels. Vehicle can have a tendancy to swap ends when that happens.

AZ, right on man. I do the same exact thing. It's a good idea to pick your line, and to look at the hill and envision how exactly you are going to drive up it. Also, it pays to know whats on the other side.

There's no law that says you can't get out of your truck while wheeling. In fact, I spend more time OUT of my Jeep than in it when I wheel.

*member of the \"No Hummer Krew\"*
Old 02-11-2003, 02:22 AM

JJ is off the scale

thanks guys
walking the path sure makes a lot of sense
and PhilD thanks for the clarification of angle versus % grade that is a very important distinction.

JJ
Old 02-11-2003, 03:00 AM

JJ is off the scale

AMEN....

JJ
Old 02-17-2003, 02:25 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

My all-time favorite approach is to travel with other Hummers and let a couple of them go first!!!

Not only can you see the lines and realize what your in for....but once a couple of them go...then you know, being that you've got the same vehicle, that you too can make it.

As for doing scary stuff while on your own: not advisable!!!!

I've been to a practice track and played with taking sideslopes that scare ya. I've also been up some pretty steep hills and after doing all this I returned to a nearby hill where there is a trail that runs straight up the front. I never really messed with that trail....but after all the practice and stuff...that hill looked pretty mellow and I went right up it!

In other words.....practice and you know you can do, and don't exceed that while traversing new and unknown obstacles.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:17 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

I have been at 27 degrees side slope and 37 degrees vertical (yes degrees not percent)...both were very uncomfortable and I would suggest not going there often. H2 specs are around 18 degrees side slope, 27 degrees vertical. Any glitch could cause a roll.

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net
Old 01-15-2004, 12:08 AM

alecs wife is off the scale

The H2 can do 35 degrees side slopes. You must have a some sort of guage at those levels. Never trust your gut when conditions get severe. know how to trust your guages.

Also notable is the question of weight.

R2

Front Locker, Stealth winch, 37" Super Swampers SSR,low center of gravity = Ultimate H2
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This post and any pictures posted with it are the property of Adam in CO and/or his affiliates. The contents of this post are confidential and may contain information that is privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under all
Old 01-15-2004, 06:53 PM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're on an incline and can't get your door open due to gravity either you're arms are twigs or the incline is too steep. This is a pic from yesterday. I aired down my front tires to 10 psi and rear to 20 to keep my center down. It was still scary.

One more thing: if you make an error on this type of slope, you're done, it's roll time.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2004, 01:09 AM

alecs wife is off the scale

I just have to wonder why did you guys think this was the ideal parking spot?

R2

Front Locker, Stealth winch, 37" Super Swampers SSR,low center of gravity = Ultimate H2
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This post and any pictures posted with it are the property of Adam in CO and/or his affiliates. The contents of this post are confidential and may contain information that is privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under all
Old 01-17-2004, 01:50 AM
Hummer Expert

There were some steep ledges just in front of us. We were concerned if we hit them wrong the truck would go to one side or the other setting us up for a roll so we got out and spotted each other one at a time.

After I got back in to complete the ledge I couldn't get my damn seat belt on because it was locked down, not good when you're completing an incline this steep.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:29 PM

unaslob is off the scale

a set of incline and sideslope gauges are key I think...especially when learning. knowing what the limits are and knowing that you can go over those limits is key. I remember the first time I got real sideways... and you start to feel that in the pit of your stomach... check the gauge and realize that you are no where near the limits.

if you get gauges... remember the placement of them IS a big deal.... you cannot put your sideslope gauge up on the roof console...

unaslob

Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad 'tip'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX CB, Dual 4' Firestik fiberglass whips, front tinted windows, 7" Homer Simpson decal (teehee)!
Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad \'tip\'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14\" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX
Old 01-18-2004, 09:18 PM
Hummer Expert

I have those but after you continually bury them at 45 it's no fun.