H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 07-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

signals34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil change by time

I heard 6 months is the longest you should leave the oil unchanged if your mileage is low...I put on about 2600 miles on my H-3 in 12 months....I always check it and it never burned and it was still clean so I just changed the oil now, at 12 months...I was wondering if there was a set time schedule if there are few miles being put on...and no ,the "change oil" engine oil life did not come on...
Old 07-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oil change by time

Found this at OnStar They will notify you if

No oil change detected in past 12 monthsSchedule a service visit with your GM dealer as soon as possible. If you performed an oil change, but did not reset your oil life indicator, please click here for instructions.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Hummer Professional

mountainbiker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oil change by time

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals34
I put on about 2600 miles on my H-3 in 12 months
Wow, how do you keep your battery from sulfating / deep discharging with so few miles? Do you keep it on a battery maintainer/conditioner?

I am betting your question will generate 20 different answers such as 3,000 or 3 months -or- 7,500 or 12 months. Or, you may get loads of questions such as what type of driving do you do?

The HUMMER Owner's Manual (see p. 5-16) indicates the GM Oil Life System will let you know on the DIC (unless accidentally reset); otherwise, it says "change it at 12 months". It says goes on to say "If the system is ever reset accidentally, you must change your oil at 3,000 miles ... since your last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed."

Also, the GM My Link's HUMMER FAQ states:

How often should the oil be changed on vehicles equipped with the GM Oil Life System?

Change engine oil and filter as indicated by the GM Oil Life System (or every 12 months whichever occurs first.) Reset the system after an oil change. Please see your Owner's Manual for more information.

Does the Oil Life System need to be manually reset after an oil change?

The Engine Oil Life System calculates when to change your engine oil and filter based on vehicle use. Anytime your oil is changed, reset the system so it can calculate when the next oil change is required. If a situation occurs where you change your oil prior to a CHANGE OIL message being turned on, reset the system. Please see your Owner's Manual for more information.