H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 01-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

Thanks, Froggy. Your info is extremely helpful!
Old 01-17-2006, 12:25 AM
Hummer Veteran

FROGGY69ER is off the scale

No problem!! I drove all over today looking for the right connectors, but came up empty. I searched around on the internet, and found exactely what I needed, 8 pin mini-din connectors. I just ordered it and will have it in 2 days. I also ordered a mountind pad for the I-pod. I will have everything in by thursday, and will post some pics. I think it is going to have a nice factory look, clean. Stay tuned!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Hummer Veteran

Just got it all hooked up. Looks nice and clean. Let me know what you think!!
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

Unhooked!
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

The whole package!
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2006, 03:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

NM H3 is off the scale

Looks great. Sure beats the FM modulator.
Thanks for being the guinnea pig, and sharing all of the info.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

Nice, clean look. That's EXACTLY what I want to do! Can you send me alist of what to buy after you had the two kits installed?
Old 01-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

NM H3 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike E:
Nice, clean look. That's EXACTLY what I want to do! Can you send me alist of what to buy after you had the two kits installed?
x2
Old 01-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

I put this around July of last year - from Alpine.

I love it - it works great, charges the iPod and the iPod stays in the glove box.

I can control everything via the head unit - it is fast but not as convenient as the iPod for searching. If you use playlist on your iPod it is a snap. The remote control will move your songs up and down also or fast forward.

Alpine Radio Link

It is expensive, (I paid around $280.00 + $100.00 more for the integrated iPod controller) but this is just not an iPod controller its a great head unit with multiple connections for amps etc. I wouldn't buy just for iPod connection but for if you are interested in replacing or upgrading your head unit this would be a great investment.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

Here is the list of parts, and the websites where I found them. I bought everything from L-Com. You will need a male to male 8 pin MINI DIN extension, I do not have the part number because I ordered the wrong one, I got male to female. 1 adapter, MINI DIN Female to Female, part number MD88FF. The hook-up is self explanatory. If you like the IPOD holder, it is from KUDA.

http://www.kudausa.com/imprint.php

https://www.l-com.com/home.aspx
Old 01-23-2006, 12:16 AM
Hummer Professional

BABHUMV is off the scale

I Installed the two units today, took about 45 minutes and a trip to Radio Shack. I am betting that the obstacle originally mentioed is the fact that the RCA plugs on both units are female. Therefore you need to buy two RCA Unions to connect the two together.

One other question, maybe for f5, Which wire behind the radio is the accessorie wire that drops out after 20 minutes?

Here is a picture of my completed install.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2006, 12:17 AM
Hummer Professional

BABHUMV is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by FROGGY69ER:
Just got it all hooked up. Looks nice and clean. Let me know what you think!!

looks great, Nice Job!
Old 01-23-2006, 04:18 AM
Hummer Professional

nmikes is off the scale

looks awesome, that treo is the same phone I've got, how did you get it to mount there? Setup looks great.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:02 AM
Hummer Professional

BABHUMV is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by nmikes:
looks awesome, that treo is the same phone I've got, how did you get it to mount there? Setup looks great.

It is a magnetic mount on a flexible rod suctioned to window. I found it on e-bay. I use it all my vehicles. Very easy to take off and on.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

Babhumv, where did you install the two units in the dash? Also, I would like to attempt it myself, how would you rate the difficulty of the project? Keep in mind I'm not an electical pro. Aslo, where did you ground it? I think they mentioned something about not grounding it on that metal bar behind the radio.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Hummer Professional

BABHUMV is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike E:
Babhumv, where did you install the two units in the dash? Also, I would like to attempt it myself, how would you rate the difficulty of the project? Keep in mind I'm not an electical pro. Aslo, where did you ground it? I think they mentioned something about not grounding it on that metal bar behind the radio.

When you get the panel off you will find tons of room behind there. I stashed the units to the right of the radio, between the radio and glove box. I used the power to the power outlets and used that ground also. Just tapped into the wires. I did it before the Holister Hills trip and it worked flawlessly. 4 hours up and 4 hours back. I did not want to tap into anything related to the radio because it is integrated with the onboard computer and feedback could cause a problem. The power outlets are just that, constant power at the dash. I still need to figure out the accessory wire though. Hope this helps.

And by the way THANK YOU BuzzH3 and FROGGY69ER for starting the thread and being the 1st to try it. It works and seems to be a solid, clean, excellent sounding, & fairly low cost way to integrate the Ipod.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

That helps tremendously! So really you didn't have to take much of the dash apart. just the center trim panel and the radio. And I assume you mean you tapped into those two power outlets at the bottom of the panel? I didn't know they also had ground wires. That would make sense to use those! So really, that's the only special wiring you needed to do, right? The rest of it is just plugging in the harnes to the factory one and the radio I would assume.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

BuzzH3 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by BABHUMV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike E:

When you get the panel off you will find tons of room behind there. I stashed the units to the right of the radio, between the radio and glove box. I used the power to the power outlets and used that ground also. Just tapped into the wires. I did it before the Holister Hills trip and it worked flawlessly. 4 hours up and 4 hours back. I did not want to tap into anything related to the radio because it is integrated with the onboard computer and feedback could cause a problem. The power outlets are just that, constant power at the dash. I still need to figure out the accessory wire though. Hope this helps.

And by the way THANK YOU BuzzH3 and FROGGY69ER for starting the thread and being the 1st to try it. It works and seems to be a solid, clean, excellent sounding, & fairly low cost way to integrate the Ipod. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem. I have learned so much from this forum that it's nice to give a little info back.

I just have to get around to installing my setup, which is the aux input and the Harman Kardon Drive + Play. I have a 2 year old boy and a 7 week old girl, so I don't get much time for anything. I'm hoping to get it done this weekend.

I would also like to know (f5fstop, kodiaz, anyone..) if there is a RAP acc power line that is safe to tap into near the radio.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

BABHUMV, Thanks, and everything looks great. Just something for everyone to be aware of. My UII stopped charging my IPOD!! I checked all the connections, and everything seems fine, but still no charge. I think it is a bad power wire. I disconected it, and nothing changed. I am assuming that the red wire is the one that charges the unit, since without it, the interface would not need a power source. Anyway, I called Logjam, and they said it is probably a bad Interface, and they sent me a new one. I will let you guys know if this solved the problem in case anyone else has the same issue.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Hummer Professional

BABHUMV is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by FROGGY69ER:
BABHUMV, Thanks, and everything looks great. Just something for everyone to be aware of. My UII stopped charging my IPOD!! I checked all the connections, and everything seems fine, but still no charge. I think it is a bad power wire. I disconected it, and nothing changed. I am assuming that the red wire is the one that charges the unit, since without it, the interface would not need a power source. Anyway, I called Logjam, and they said it is probably a bad Interface, and they sent me a new one. I will let you guys know if this solved the problem in case anyone else has the same issue.

Where did you connect the red wire off the Ipod Aux unit?