H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 07-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

After two months of ownership, I've found very little to fault the H3 on. I didn't get the tubular assist steps because I thought they might hang up on something offroading, but now I'm thinking they might prevent dings in the doors from other parked cars, so I might have to get a set put on. Got my first little door ding in a parking lot - OUCH - you all know what that first ding is like - it is very small and my wife tells me "a blind man would be glad to see it." I also regret not getting the chrome appearance package because I think the chrome mirrors look nice. Not sure how much it would be to have the dealer put a set on, but I know many serious offroaders have this thing against chrome! Maybe someone will come out with an aftermarket, stick-on chrome shell for the outside mirrors.
With it's small tinted windows, staying relatively cool inside when parked in the sun has been a surprise. I use one of those crumpled up silver, general aircraft foils in the windshield - but someone needs to sell a nice looking H3 front window shade!
I've only dynamatted the front and rear doors and have noticed some improvement from the Monsoon sound, but not much outside noise deadening from just doing the doors.
I've gotten used to the rear vision and use my outside mirrors more than I used to, and park in spots where I can pull straight out instead of backing up, when I can. Mileage seems to be GREATLY dependent on the pressure on the go pedal pressure when accelerating - no surprise there! Hummer did a great job in making this a comfortable highway cruiser as well as extremely capable offroad machine.
My biggest problem is where to carry the Windex to clean off those fingerprints on the windows every time I park my H3, and not busting my knuckles when I take off the oil filter on oil changes!
Old 07-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Jim,

So it handles those Ozark hills just fine?

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 07-19-2005, 02:44 PM

richk is off the scale

After 2 days my ramblings are:

What's up with that weird turn signal sound? Is that new to GM or have they been using that for awhile. It has gotten many laughs over the past few days. It sounds like an old fashioned clock.

I have a slight pull to the right, I am going to bring it in for an alignment check. Might be the tires, so a rotation might solve the problem.

GM should have put on a locking gas cap. It's way to easy to remove and it worries me how easy it would be for someone to pour something into the tank. I am going to have to spend over $100 on a locking cover.

The H3 loves bugs as much as my Jeep did. Because of the flat windshield I am catching every bug in town. I am cleaning the windshield every day.

Engine power: I drove 300 miles on the first day from Casper to Denver. On the rolling hills with the cruise set to 70mph it downshifts almost every time. What freaked me out a little was that it downshifted twice on a few steeper hills which caused the engine to rev to about 5K. At that point I killed the cruise to back off a bit. Overall the power is perfectly fine for around town.

Parking is easy, I like the size of the H3. Visibility is pretty good except for out the back window. The back window should go down a little further.

Gas mileage on the 300 mile trip was 19mph. I am currently tracking my city mileage.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Hummer Authority

It does FANTASTIC on the hills and through the creeks - and it's comfortable too. I can't wait to see how it does in the snow this winter! My only change was to the tires, with a set of Goodyear AT/S Wrangler 265/75QR16s. They really make it perform well in mud, but have a Q speed rating -and I doubt I'll be going over 100 mph in my H3 anyway.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:49 PM

BUKHUM is off the scale

nice view on your experiences so far...

thanks for the post.

Can't wait to get mine.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:39 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

How about on the road in the Ozarks though. Used to have a house on the Lake of the Ozarks and you get some pretty steep hills on the two lane highways. Don't get much of it down here but just curious.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 07-19-2005, 07:16 PM

FELNTPSY is off the scale

My wife has had hers now for a little over a week. It is the only one in our town and gets alot of looks and "fingerprints" on the windows. I like the ride...very smooth compared to her Xterra. Power is not to my liking, but I drive a Duramax 2500...so I'm used to alot more power. I love the interior and the low profile windows..very comfortable and "cockpit" like. Did not like the visibility when backing up etc. but that has gotten easier getting more comfortable with the rig.

My biggest complaint is that she never lets me drive it! She always used to make me drive if we were going somewhere together and taking the Xterra....now I'm the bitch little passenger!

Oh well, I'm glad she likes it!
Old 07-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Hummer Authority

The engine is more than adequate, however it does kick down a gear now and then, but I hardly even am aware of it anymore. Probably one of the reasons I'm averaging slightly under 17 mpg. Anyone, who's ever driven twisting super hilly highway W knows going over 45 mph is suicide on W around the Lake and many grades exceed 25%. I like the way it corners a lot for a big 4 X 4. Not as flat as a Vette, but better than most SUVs. It's amazing to me how many of us have owned Vettes and sports cars, or still do!
I have found polishing the front windshield with RainX sprray keeps the bugs from sticking as much and makes it easier to clean off, but I keep the Windex in the back with a rag anyway. One other thing, the more I flip the back seats down the flatter they seem to lie without pulling the cushion, but I have cloth, and I think those go a little flatter than the leather.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:31 AM

Marc H3 is off the scale

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">The first thing I noticed how hard it is to keep the bugs off the front end and the windshield. However I have learned to keep one of those larger glass clearner sized wipes around in a neatly thin size and resealable pouch. They are very easy to store under the front seat or behind the front seats in the neat pouch area.

I love the tube steps and it makes it easier to get into the back too. You gotta have them if you have a wife that is short or never wears jeans.

It turns super and the engine is very good around town. However while using the cruise going up a hill I did notice that it kicked down and roared like a lion.

Anyone notice how great the steering wheel feels? I love the thickness of it and the feel... hmm might be because I am a man and well...

You got to LOVE this newest Hummer! </span>
Old 07-22-2005, 02:19 PM

H3OH is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a slight pull to the right, I am going to bring it in for an alignment check. Might be the tires, so a rotation might solve the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the same as well, but I have heard that they should have a slight pull to the right. Reason being if you should happen to fall asleep, pass out, etc. while driving, your car won't pull into oncoming traffic. How true this is, I don't know, but it makes sense.

Let me know what you find out.

Also, I laugh at the turn signal sound as well. My wife and I comment on how the H3 is beefy, with just a little funny sounding turn signal.

Only complaint I have is the visibility out the back window. I had a Miata pull up behind me, on my ass, and I couldn't see him in any of the mirrors. It's not too bad because I won't be backing up at a stop light.

Bugs suck, but then again, hitting a small puddle puts a nice splash from the front wheels up on the back door "hump". Grrr.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:29 PM

richk is off the scale

I brought in the H3 for a front end alignment yesterday. I only had 475 miles on the odo. The dealer said GM requires at least 500 miles before they will do a front end alignment. Since I was so close they didn't give me any trouble. It no longer pulls to the right and is much better. Having had a Jeep with 33" tires I know that keeping the alignment perfect is nearly impossible. Given the weight and size of the tires it is a common problem. However now I am happy and back on the road.

I am still loving the H3. I am glad that I didn't get the Lux package. I have had leather seats for the past few years and don't miss them at all. The cloth in the H3 is great.

I have noticed that the black interior shows all the dust, including the dash and seats. I am not a fan of black interiors and this is one reason. Looks like I will be dusting the dash quite a bit.

I got my 2 front windows tinted a few days ago. I went with 30% tint because the windows are so small and the interior is so dark. The tint looks great and helps keep the heat down inside when I am parked.

I am still on my first tank of gas in the city so I don't have my city mph yet.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

A very slight pull to the right is usually caused by the crown in the road surface, that allows water to runoff to the right side.
If you have an alignment that adjusts for this, then if you are in a left lane with a left crown, you will pull to the left.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:09 PM

Marc H3 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richk:
I am still loving the H3. I am glad that I didn't get the Lux package. I have had leather seats for the past few years and don't miss them at all. The cloth in the H3 is great.I am still on my first tank of gas in the city so I don't have my city mph yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">I have had lots of leather and cloth seats. Cloth seats usually are nicer after years of use. However I wanted the sweet looking leather with the contrasting color piping. I love the look of the floor mats too because of the contrasting boarders as well. The Luxury package does include some nice extra features... i.e. home link and 6 CD changer etc.

I also love the OVERSIZED sunroof and the express open and close!

I got 19 miles to a gallon on a short trip. I like that and enjoy watching others look at the H3 as well. </span>
Old 07-22-2005, 07:00 PM

richk is off the scale

I personally did not care for the contrasted piping. Also I didn't care for any of the H3 leather colors. The all black seats are too black and is black overkill. I didn't like the moracoo, weird color. The cashmere is nice, but will show marks/dirt. In the cloth the black/green combo really went nice with the green exterior. Kinda cool that the interior has a swatch of the same exterior color.

The only thing I am really missing is the home link since you can only get that with the Lux. I don't miss the power seat controls. The 6 cd changer came on mine.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:36 AM

H3OH is off the scale

I love the leather, and agree the contrast is perfect with the black/pewter piping. I've had plenty of compliments on how gorgeous the interior is, and how comfy the seats are. Birch White and Black Leather interior is so nice looking.

Just got the Homelink all set up today (on mine and my wife's SUV) and have no complaints. Easy to setup.

The six disc changer is very cool, but I wish that it would play Mp3s as well, but it's ok..and if XM can get the station/song info to scroll, so should the CD, right? Guess not! I'll probably go with an Alpine head unit with iPod adapter. Anyone know if we can add an iPod adapter to the stock 6-disc changer/XM combo?

Marc, I fully agree with you on the sunroof! It turns it into a convertible! Love it!
Old 07-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Hummer Professional

killian is off the scale

Jim, I'm at two months tomorrow and I agree with what you're saying about things, very little to fault. The tubeular assist steps do help with the door dings, mine have already absorbed two hits for me. I had some minor clearance issues when I went off roading in Sedona this week (up to my butt in red mud) but I find the steps invaluable. I also found that I can store a fullsize bottle of Armor All Glass cleaner ( I like it better that windex http://www.epinions.com/content_20421381764 ) and a long handled squeegee in the compartment on the inside of the back door. Beleive it or not, it all fits without cramming it in. I keep my detailing cloths and a shamy in the compartment in the back on the passenger side. I love to get my H3 dirty but I love the way it looks when it's clean.