H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 03-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

rjmoose is off the scale
Default Re: XM RADIO DEALS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnynctry
Lets keep is straight. One has not bought out the other. They announced a merger and it must be approved first. The plan is to offer the best of both. not enought bandwidth on the satilite to have 300 channels.

Besides getting shareholder approval, XM and Sirius will also have to get the endorsement of regulators, including the FCC.

The National Association of Broadcasters, a trade group that represents local radio and TV stations, urged policymakers Monday to reject the deal, calling it an "anti-consumer proposal."

"Given the government's history of opposing monopolies in all forms, NAB would be shocked if federal regulators permitted a merger of XM and Sirius," the trade group said in a statement. "It bears mentioning that regulators summarily rejected a similar monopoly merger of the nation's only two satellite television companies - DirecTV and DISH Network - just a few years back."

If ya want the half price deal tell them you want to cancel unless thay have a beeter offer and see what happens.

Good post....could not have said it better myself. Although they announced the merger, they still have to get FCC approval...which is a LONG SHOT!!

If you recall, DirecTV and Dish Network tried to merge a few years ago and the FCC rejected it...even after both companies tried to appeal it several times....let's not get the cart ahead of the horse here. It will be at least 8-12 months before the merger is finalized....IF IT GETS APPROVED...which is highly unlikely given past precedence.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:42 AM
Hummer Veteran

whaaaaT is on a distinguished road

I got like 3 emails from them already. It says end of 2007 the merger should be completed. I seriously doubt this will be rejected.

http://xmradio.mediaroom.com/index.p...ases&item=1426
Old 03-04-2007, 03:04 AM
Hummer Veteran

rjmoose is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaaaaT
I got like 3 emails from them already. It says end of 2007 the merger should be completed. I seriously doubt this will be rejected.

Read the post above mine....I "seriously" doubt the merger will go through...only time will tell....and past precedence

Old 03-05-2007, 02:05 AM
Hummer Veteran

whaaaaT is on a distinguished road

20 bucks says it does
Old 03-05-2007, 02:55 AM
Hummer Veteran

rjmoose is off the scale

Quote:
20 bucks says it does

$100 says it won't

Old 03-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Hummer Professional

lance-n is off the scale

Quote:

If you carefully read the article on the xm website, the only thing it really promises is customer assistance during the merger process.

They use typical corporate CYA language like:
"announcing plans to merge",
"will be...",
"expected to be completed in late 2007",
"expects that the existing radios will be able to...",
"will not be interrupted by the merger",
"In the future...",
and most importantly:
"Merger Approval Process"

Where I live, there is only one radio station and these roads eat cd's for lunch!!! I sure hope they do not interupt service during the process.

I really enjoy the xm radio. In fact, I have four of them - one in each car! We have to use the larger, Marine type antenna to get the XM signal, while Sirius works with their small antennas here.

Even in the unlikely event that the FCC grants approval, there will still be a merger process. The two companies will need to hash out and come to agreement on all other terms of the deal. Regardless, I am sure it means another raise for Howard Stern - like he needs the money!!!

Seriously, I hope the merger goes through so we have even more programming to choose from, but I am not going to hold my breath.
The Maxim channel and the comedy channels on sirius are great and I wish i had access to them.

1995 White mint OJ mobile (full size Ford Bronco) - sold

2007 Silver Nissan Armada - wifemobile
2005 42' Tiara Sportfisher - Tournament Rigged and 40 knots!
Old 03-07-2007, 04:58 AM
Hummer Veteran

rjmoose is off the scale

More food for thought:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070307/..._congress_dc_1

Old 03-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

psywzrd is off the scale

To everyone that has gotten the $77 deal, do any of you guys have a card or something from GM/Hummer/XM that lists the details of this offer? I'm trying to get this deal from XM and they're asking me where I got the offer from. I'd like to be able to give them something specific (like maybe a scan of a postcard with the offer). Thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Hummer Professional

lance-n is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmoose
excerpt: In an interview on Tuesday, the chief financial officer of Sirius reiterated Karmazin's assertion that Sirius and XM are competing with a free product, traditional AM/FM radio.
"We are competing with a free product, so while we may adjust pricing, competing with free is a very very difficult thing to do," David Frear told Reuters

They do make a good point here, but it is the exact same argument directv/dish merger tried to use, which ultimayely failed.
There is already one organized group publicly opposing the deal.

I guess somebody may be owing you $100!!

1995 White mint OJ mobile (full size Ford Bronco) - sold

2007 Silver Nissan Armada - wifemobile
2005 42' Tiara Sportfisher - Tournament Rigged and 40 knots!
Old 03-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

jman_in_minnesota is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by psywzrd
To everyone that has gotten the $77 deal, do any of you guys have a card or something from GM/Hummer/XM that lists the details of this offer? I'm trying to get this deal from XM and they're asking me where I got the offer from. I'd like to be able to give them something specific (like maybe a scan of a postcard with the offer). Thanks in advance.

I just said I got a letter in the mail from GM with code GMWINBACK (or whatever it was, do a forum search)...they put me on hold for 3-4 minutes, came back, and said sure they can honor that code. This was in January 2007
Old 03-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

psywzrd is off the scale

I was able to get this deal after I had already renewed my subscription for a year. They refunded me the difference between what I paid and the $77 deal. Thanks for all the info guys!
Old 04-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

MisterE is an unknown quantity at this point

Still works as of April 1st (no April fools). No manager needed or anything just told them the deal and the price and renewal went through w\o any questions
Old 04-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

MajorGeek is off the scale

Personal choice. I drove a rental 11 hours both ways and hated XM. As a bit of a headbanger, i found their rock stations paled in comparison and I liked hearing Howard. Ill let mine expire and wait out the merger. I have a love hate relationship with OnStar and XM. Love Onstar, hate XM. Personal choice. I added subs, so I am good to go
Old 04-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

I still hope it doesn't go through as I don't want shallow repetitive play lists on the music channels that SIRIUS is famous for.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got off the phone with the numbers listed above, they were quite willing to give me the deal. You folks saved me some money. Call it karma, whatever. I gave a tad to the rubicon fund that Humbebe asked for, and got more in return. I'm a happy camper!

No matter what, XM is so vastly superior to CDs (talk about repetitive play list!) and AM/FM that it's not even funny. There's absolutely no comparison. I drive an hour each way to work and XM's the only way I keep my sanity.

Thanks again forum members, money's money! (I'll spend it on the Alpha this year!)

I forgot to add, Onstar's no great deal, but it is very useful. If you get into the habit of using it, particularly the turn by turn directions, hands free phone etc., it's like no other. My buddy locked his keys in his Sierra way up here where there's no cell service. They actually unlocked his doors! This seems like no big thing but way out in the woods, that's a pretty frickin' neat trick!

Last edited by Huck BB62 : 04-02-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:26 AM
Hummer Authority

tomp is an unknown quantity at this point

GMBUYBACK didn't work for me, but did get 30 days free for trying real hard
Old 05-31-2007, 05:21 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

the merge may happen due to the large amount of money they are bleeding and the quiet investors lobby. The NAB lobby is strong but regular radio is in the dumper too overall. It's too close to call. I work on free radio, listen to howard and sirius. More and more tech gadgets are going to come out this fall to allow more and more personalization that will eat into both even more. I don't care either way they both ahve good and bad so I would benifit from the merge.