H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 01-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Hummer Novice

kube1 is on a distinguished road
Default SIR-GM1 Install Guide for H3/H3T

GM has partnered with XM to offer satellite radio in their cars. It is an overpriced option! Read how to get satellite radio in your GM vehicle for less! Another member has already posted a similar "guide" here. I was limited to 10 images in this post so you can use his thread to fill in some of the gaps. Also, here is the PDF of the install guide.

This is the unit you want. It is the Sirius SIR-GM1 receiver. I picked mine up for $90 on Kijiji. It is designed to fit GM class II radios with the BAND button. These GM radios let you listen to satellite radio broadcasts and view their ID's and displays. If you don't have the BAND button you're out of luck, and will have to find a different solution such as portable units.

This is the factory SDAR interface cable that is included in the package. This will let you use the vehicles existing prewired plug for XM receivers. There is a T-Harness interface cable that is also included with the kit. You will need to use this if your vehicle is NOT prewired for XM. I'm not going to cover installing this item because my vehicle is prewired for XM. That being said, although there is wiring for the XM receiver there is no XM antenna installed. I had to use the Sirius antenna. I have read that others have successfully used the XM antenna on the Sirius receivers by removing the yellow clip. It's your choice.

To remove the faceplate from around the stereo:
1)Put the Hummer in 1 on the shifter
2) disconnect the battery
3)Put 2 fingers into the accessory outlets and lift up and pull

Mine was really tight but it did pop free. Then go around and gently pull the rest of the face free. Disconnect any cords and set the faceplate aside.

Immediately to the right of the stereo you will see a small plug connected to nothing. This is the XM receiver connection. Cut the cable tie to free it up to its full length. If you are replacing an XM receiver with a Sirius one, the XM is located under the glove box. To remove the glove box use a 7mm or 9/32 socket and take out the 3 screws underneath. The glove box will fall away in your hands. There is a plastic door underneath the dash. It doesn't look like an access panel but it is. Pull it down. Underneath is the XM unit. Disconnect the plug from the module.

Connect the SDAR interface cable to the XM cable.

The other end of the SDAR cable connects directly to the Sirius module.

This is the hardest part of this install, and its really not that hard. Locate the hood release cable on the drivers side under the hood. It is held in place with a rubber grommet. Push the grommet with a small screwdriver so it pops out of the hole to the inside of the firewall. This will give you room to put the antenna cable through to the inside of the cab. Run the antenna under the dash to the receiver.

Pull the grommet back through the hole. I used my fingers. It really wasn't that tight. The grommet will cover antenna cable nicely when reseated in the hole. Use a cable tie to secure the antenna cable in place.

You can run the antenna wherever you want but I wanted mine out of sight. I pulled off the air intake on the drivers side and ran the antenna underneath. I tied up the rest of the cable and replaced the air intake.

Connect the antenna cable to the Sirius module.

The factory XM units are located under the dash of the H3's and H3T's. I put mine below the stereo right in front of the Onstar computer. It fits there perfectly. Use a couple of cable ties to hold the unit in place and trim them off. That's it! Replace the faceplate and have fun!