H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spring shackle skid plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunner
I saw in H2 the Rubicon run. I would like to know how the H3's made it thru that without these and what their shocks and shackles look like. I will post in H3 classifieds.

I didn't damage mine at all on either of the Rubicon runs and I don't think any of the other 3's did either. But with slow rock-crawling like that, you're probably not going to damage that area unless you land on it really hard or get hung up on it and try to power through. On a trail like that the skids will help most by keeping you from getting hung up on that plate.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine are in perfect condition. Well, ok, not perfect...but no real damage.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Hummer Professional

Hunner is on a distinguished road

I wondered about it. I go to a Superlift park in Hot Springs Ark near my house. There are boulders everywhere. I have battle scars almost every time. Seems the trails are more narrow and no way around. Those are the two places I seem to scrape. Some hills are so steep the rocks pass you on the way down. We have a lot of loose rocks that move around. Its granite, flint and Ouachita rock they use for sharpening knives. It really cuts metal.
Looks like you had a great time!
Traded 06 I-5 for 08H3 ALPHA/Adv,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn 9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner rear/shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola rack,2GoLights,Hunner steering gear mount,Purple Cranium diff guard,BulletProof tie rods,ARBsnorkle, SyKlone prefilter,Hunner intake pipe.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

Linus Gump is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal
Installation surprise follows... READ THIS: the Amstar instructions say you must remove and discard existing U-bolts and nuts, but retain the washers and replace with new GM u-bolts and nuts or void any warranty for the skids.
Is this standard procedure ?? ANYONE KNOW THE REASON FOR THIS? (serious replies only please)
The reason for the replacement of the hardware is because when you torque the nuts down to spec the bolt actually stretches and the threads of the nuts stretch and deform. This will cause the bolt to possibly break later on when retorqued, or never be tight because of over stretch. To prevent from lawsuits from bolts breaking under acceleration and causing accidents, they advise you that your warranty will be voided if you don't replace the hardware. This is why commercial lift kits come with new blots and nuts, and also why you need to replace the head bolts when you pull a head.

I agree that for $200 they should include all hardeware to mount them.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Hummer Professional

Yep that is what happens here. You land on it really hard and get hung up. Even crawling. Going up hills you have no choice and sliding down loose rock they pile up back there. I guess the difference in terrain is what is causing the problem I have. I go almost every weekend and the odds are catching up with me. I have only seen one other H3 on the trails. H2's that came from Texas had some tight places and broke tie rods. I know of two. Are the ones on the H3 bigger, stronger or is it just the H2 with big tires and power grab after spinning and brake them? I have looked at the Fab-Tec but dont know if the are the same for H3. Thought you guys might know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewie
I didn't damage mine at all on either of the Rubicon runs and I don't think any of the other 3's did either. But with slow rock-crawling like that, you're probably not going to damage that area unless you land on it really hard or get hung up on it and try to power through. On a trail like that the skids will help most by keeping you from getting hung up on that plate.
Traded 06 I-5 for 08H3 ALPHA/Adv,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn 9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner rear/shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola rack,2GoLights,Hunner steering gear mount,Purple Cranium diff guard,BulletProof tie rods,ARBsnorkle, SyKlone prefilter,Hunner intake pipe.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

bjc is off the scale

So here are my Amstar shock skids after their first trip off road. I'm glad I got them. When I picked up my truck from the dealer, Service was already closed so I didn't have a chance to ask the tech whether he actually replaced the hardware per the instructions...doesn't look to me like he did.

Name:  SS2.JPG
Views: 433
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:  SS7.JPG
Views: 358
Size:  91.6 KB

Name:  SS1.JPG
Views: 347
Size:  62.2 KB

Name:  SS3.JPG
Views: 446
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  SS4.JPG
Views: 428
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  SS5.JPG
Views: 387
Size:  86.1 KB

Name:  SS6.JPG
Views: 407
Size:  84.8 KB

Name:  SS8.JPG
Views: 314
Size:  74.5 KB
Birch White H3 Manual, Adventure Package, Sunroof, Trailering Package, Off-Road Lamps, Splashguards, Black Tubular Assist Steps, Black Crossbows, Mudder Mats, Ski Rack, Warn XD9000 w/ DOI Hawse Winch Bumper, DOI Prototype Skid Plates, M101A1 3/4 ton trailer.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:09 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like they work GR8
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Hummer Professional

Yep you got battle scars just like me. Your pictures really show why the ones I made are an inch wider on the inside to protect that shock bolt head. Not that it could not be cut off if need be to replace it, but that might not be fun in the rocks or mud. We can live with this problem if we use the skid plates. The front hanger is also a problem. I smashed one of mine the day before I decided to get the pattern made for the front. This is part of the vehicle and can be fixed but will never look original. A plate up there will preserve the original mount.
The second image shows the driver side. They put the bolt in before the tank and its skid. So Im making my skid for that so it will just tack weld on. Any muffler shop would probably do it.
The delay has been a stand off of sorts about making me one set before comitting to 20. I think I have something worked out now. Between deer season and Holidays they are short handed at the fab shop.
I will post in classified as soon as I get some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC2862%.JPG (8.8 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC2863%.JPG (8.2 KB, 261 views)
Old 11-22-2006, 07:19 AM
Hummer Professional

Hey BJC did you just bleed your brakes or do you have a busted brake line? Is that some kind of red clay jammed up in your shackle plate?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

bjc is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunner
Hey BJC did you just bleed your brakes or do you have a busted brake line? Is that some kind of red clay jammed up in your shackle plate?

Red clay yes, brake fluid no. It's a long story...

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21760
Birch White H3 Manual, Adventure Package, Sunroof, Trailering Package, Off-Road Lamps, Splashguards, Black Tubular Assist Steps, Black Crossbows, Mudder Mats, Ski Rack, Warn XD9000 w/ DOI Hawse Winch Bumper, DOI Prototype Skid Plates, M101A1 3/4 ton trailer.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:31 AM
Hummer Professional

SR1355 is on a distinguished road

Hey BJC, I'd agree it looks like they reused the hardware and did not install new. I'd go back and givem' hell. Their suppose to know what they are doing.

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron
Old 11-23-2006, 12:33 AM
Hummer Professional

SR1355 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjc
Red clay yes, brake fluid no. It's a long story...

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21760

The dreaded blown diff.....

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron
Old 02-06-2007, 01:46 AM
Hummer Professional

Got two pair. Painting mine, install tonight. More pictures then. I only have the back pieces. Should have two front ones this week. I hope to have 20 sets in a week to 10 days. I will start down the list.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2007, 01:47 AM
Hummer Professional

Both sides
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2007, 01:49 AM
Hummer Professional

Top and bottom. This shows the laser cut index slot for strength. They will be welded here on the production run.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2007, 01:51 AM
Hummer Professional

comparison to the "little one" that does not cover the shock bolt.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2007, 02:07 AM
Hummer Professional

Primer, Im workin on it!
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2007, 02:50 AM
Hummer Professional

Next, I painted mine silver so they will show up in the installed photos.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2007, 07:01 AM
Hummer Professional

Installed! here is a before
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2007, 07:02 AM
Hummer Professional

here is after
Attached Images