H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 12-02-2006, 01:56 AM
Hummer Professional

Hunner is on a distinguished road
Default Tire research

My Bridgestones work great in the mountains on loose shale and rocks. Its muddin time here so Im looking at something more for that. I need an open tread that hopefully cleans out the buckshot mud we have in other areas. I have decided to stick with 35's because of all the rock crawling I do. Also the other issues that come with changing size that have been discussed to death. Just my opinion to simplfy things. I offroad hard and need all the clearance in the fender wells. Speedo change can be fixed but it also effects the PCM response and boat towing and shifting. Maybe some of that could be addressed in a reprogram. All that aside back to finding a mud and street combo better than AT's. I have a neighbor that has a mobile tire service so Im going with something he can get. The Mickey Thompson specs sound good and it looks rugged. Im sort of leaning towards that. I will post my results.
I looked at BFG MT. They seem overpriced to me. They are not siped at all. Slick on wet pavement like the old Mudders were. I see more of these on trailered rigs. They love them.
Here is a picture I put together of some possible choices. In my search locally I found Pep Boys carried a tire under the name Definity Dakota mt that is a Cooper tire but not quite a Discovery STT quality.
I also found a Mickey Thompson Baja MTX I really like and a Pro Comp. You can do your own research just thought I would pass this along.
First on left is Mickey, then Pep Boy and Pro Comp
Attached Images

Traded 06 I-5 for 08H3 ALPHA/Adv,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn 9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner rear/shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola rack,2GoLights,Hunner steering gear mount,Purple Cranium diff guard,BulletProof tie rods,ARBsnorkle, SyKlone prefilter,Hunner intake pipe.

Last edited by Hunner : 12-02-2006 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:40 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tire research

Might want to look at the Toyos also.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:09 AM
Hummer Authority

K9sH3 is on a distinguished road

I have the MT's you mentioned and I like the way it looks and rides so far, have not been in serious mud YET. but will be soon.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:25 AM
Hummer Professional

I looked at Toyo and it is also right in there on tread and design. I was going for an American product if I can. (I really did not want "Toyo" on my Hummer tires.) I also was hoping for somewhere around $700 for 4 and probably going to get 5. Just because I could spend a thousand I would rather look for quality at a little less money. I am after all going out to see how hard I can run them. I found I could buy a set for around $700+ and get black steel rims for a total of $1000. Im glad to have so many choices. I ran a Toyota LandCrusher Wagon FJ55 back in the seventies and Armstrong Tru Trac 11 x 15 was a high teck tire except maybe ordering from Cepek.
Traded 06 I-5 for 08H3 ALPHA/Adv,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn 9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner rear/shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola rack,2GoLights,Hunner steering gear mount,Purple Cranium diff guard,BulletProof tie rods,ARBsnorkle, SyKlone prefilter,Hunner intake pipe.

Last edited by Hunner : 12-02-2006 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:49 AM
Hummer Professional

Crash ? is on a distinguished road

IMHO you should try out a set of Maxxis Buckhorns (not Buckshots) and tell me it they are any good..

They generally go on Ebay for about $625 a set delivered.. One of the places on Ebay that has them is a tire shop in Tuckerman, AR BTW.. I've heard they'll sell 'em for even less (including mount and balance) at the shop since they don't have to ship..

Rob
Old 12-02-2006, 05:51 AM
Hummer Professional

raptorman53 is on a distinguished road

I've ran three sets of the Pro Comp's in the past and never had any problems. I ran the 305's and 315's. The 305 seemed to last longer because of a harder rubber compound. Hope this helps.

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron
Old 12-02-2006, 06:31 AM
Hummer Professional

Visitors got to see a new line of all-terrain radial light truck tires available from Mickey Thompson, a company owned by Cooper. The new Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ radial comes in sizes for most light truck/SUV applications, from the traditional 30x9.50R15LT size to the 40x13.50R20LT. This tire, says the company, features ?stone kickers? between each shoulder lug.

I found that on a SEMA report site. Another Cooper huh?
Im liking the reports and wrap around tread.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com.a...%20Terrain.htm
Old 12-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

HUMMJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

35" procomp Xterrains
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Hummer Professional

Lots of choices. Im going with the 285 Mickey Thompson new tire Baja MTZ we will see what happens.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2006, 01:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

HUMMJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

those look bada$$ are you putting them on stock tires?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:58 AM
Hummer Veteran

Urban Ops is on a distinguished road

I have the Pro-Comp X-Terrains on my wifes Jeep (tar baby). We picked them purely for their looks. I'm really not impressed with them for a DD. Slippery when wet if you know what I mean. I won't even think about taking them up to go snowboarding.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:59 AM
Hummer Veteran

Urban Ops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunner
Lots of choices. Im going with the 285 Mickey Thompson new tire Baja MTZ we will see what happens.

Please keep us up on how they work for ya.......
Old 12-05-2006, 06:03 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMJAY
those look bada$$ are you putting them on stock tires?

The stock Hummer satin aluminum 7.5 rims. They spec for 7 and up. I measured for 315's and that metal piece in the front of the rear fender well would be real close and not much room for mud to pile up. We got sticky stuff here in the Delta bottoms. I have seen tires load up and fill the wheel wells until you had to dig it out! My Bridgestones rub now on the sway bar offroad. I cranked my torsions up 2 more turns today for a total of 8 just to level it.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:26 AM
Hummer Professional

Default Re: Tire research result

Replace 33 Bridgestones A/T with 33 Mickey Thompson MTZ for all the reasons I already stated. I chose not to go 35 mostly for clearance, mud balling up and rock crawling over loose basketball size and implanted rock formations unlike large smooth boulders you can drive up on and over. Im going to get them muddy tomorrow if its not all frozen!! NARLEY!
Attached Images

Last edited by Hunner : 12-09-2006 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Hummer Professional

Broadside
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Hummer Professional

Front, duh
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Hummer Professional

Rear?
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2006, 01:46 AM
Hummer Professional

Front tread
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2006, 01:47 AM
Hummer Professional

Attached Images

Old 12-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Hummer Professional

Rear of Rear and yeah I had the heat on. Its 29 outside. My neighbor has a mobile tire service and we did it here this afternoon. We were a little slower than NASCAR because we could not feel our fingers. Awesome service! Im not sure a 35 would fit back here in this tire. +Maybe I could mount another one on the front and play bumber cars with the Heeps on the trail.
Anybody got a set of stock rims for sale?? Time for tire trials.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hunner : 12-09-2006 at 02:12 AM.