H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-14-2006, 03:15 AM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Repair of the A Pillar Molding to stop the common ?rattle/wind noise? complaint.

Brought over from other site for future questions.

At 46,385 miles the repair is needed again on the passenger side because I had been hearing the noise again for the last few weeks or so now.

The truck had both sides repaired at the dealership with 30,410 miles on the odometer using this same method. I am hoping this time it will last longer, if not the next time I?ll just turn the radio up louder when the wind is above twenty mph.

Picture one is the removal of the ?Non Functional Air Intake? and done by pulling straight up on it to release the four clips in picture two. Mine come off easier than I thought it would and went flying across the hood so don?t be surprised if yours does too.

Picture three shows releasing the doors rubber molding from the A pillar molding by pulling towards the front of the truck.

Picture four is of the doors rubber molding being removed from the A pillar molding.

Picture five shows the removal of the two Phillips head screws from the A pillar molding. Once the screws are removed you will need to pull down and out (and also release any possible 3M tape that may still be sticking to the windshield) to remove the A pillar.

Picture six shows the existing 3M tape on the inside edge of the A pillar and that was not sticking at all to the windshield when removed.

Picture seven shows the damage done to the windshield by the A pillar vibrating against it over time. Yes, that is a thin lined groove in the windshield and was actually in three places on it.

Picture eight is after the 3M tape is removed and after using denatured alcohol to remove any left over adhesive from the tape. Also need to clean the windshield off in the area where the 3M tape is suppose to stick with the denatured alcohol.

Picture nine shows the new one half inch wide 3M tape replacing the old tape. Got to get it as close to the edge as possible but just far enough away to not make it noticeable, about a sixteenth of an inch maximum from the edge I would guess.

Picture ten is of it all back together, just reverse the process. Took me about an hour or so to complete it on one side.

Last edited by Easy Ed : 01-27-2021 at 03:02 AM.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:21 AM
Hummer Authority

Default Re: Repair of the A Pillar Molding to stop the common ?rattle/wind noise? complaint.

H2Finally Wrote : When my dealer fixed mine, they did not use a tape, but some kind of mastic, similar (or same) to the black mastic mirror installers use.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:22 AM
Hummer Authority

Default Re: Repair of the A Pillar Molding to stop the common ?rattle/wind noise? complaint.

Planohummer Wrote : No need to remove the air intake covers.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:23 AM
Hummer Authority

Sportsdude Wrote : Easy Ed, Thank you for the post. I think this will solve my noise problem on the passenger side.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:24 AM
Hummer Authority

I wrote : H2Finally, I looked up the mastic the dealship used on yours and I think your right that it could be another option for use. http://www.mirro-mastic.com/index.shtml

Planohummer, That could be true I just went by what the service manual said to get the molding off.

Sportsdude, Your welcome and you might want to consider the other options posted here for help also.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:25 AM
Hummer Authority

KenP Wrote : Black silicone and squish it on, let it dry and trim.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:24 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

I've found using RTV in place of the 3M works and lasts longer. Never seen A repeat failure when done this way.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Hummer Guru

jmsspratlin is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing this way back when. Mine is doing the exact same thing and I have had one helluva time finding the culprit.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Hummer Authority

You are welcome. Did ya fix it yet and which fix did ya use ?

Ed
Old 01-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

jroman201 is on a distinguished road

I used the silicone yesterday...no issues at this point...no mess like i was thinkin there would be...keep ya posted on issues...if any...
Old 01-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Hummer Guru

jmsspratlin is on a distinguished road

Yeah, got it fixed. I will find out how it holds up in a few days when I get it out on the interstate. Usually it acts up at 70+ mph
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Elcova Newbie

Snazzy is on a distinguished road

I can't imagine this hasn't been tried, but so far it works for me....please let me know if you have done it, did it work, and why shouldn't I have taken this seemingly easy route...but after cleaning the vertical edge between the pillar trim and windshield, I purchased black silicone sealer for windshields or sunroofs, cut the screw on tip so that I could squeeze out a bead of silicone as small as allowable,(1/8")and gently lifted the edge of the trim at the top with my fingernail, I then inserted the plastic tip underneath the edge at the top with the tube at approx 45 deg upward, the trim does flex, and drag and squeeze ample amounts underneath from top to bottom. Pull out at finish, gently press trim so as to spread silicone out underneath and finish with smoothing any that will inadvertently ooze out. This is good because now you have just adhered trim down, and sealed the line between glass and plastic which will prevent the air from lifting and fluttering said trim. Works for me.....so far.
Steve
Old 01-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

rmutchler is on a distinguished road

While an older post, I just finished mine with great results. I did not remove the air intake covers and the entire job took me about 20 minutes (both sides). Thanks to the author!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

MARKCORE is on a distinguished road

Funny that you bumped this thread today. TODAY while driving I was hearing this rattling coming from what I thought was the dash or the outside airbox cover. I pressed down on it a few times and I thought it went down some, and the noise went away. Naturally I thought that was it. Looks like it wasn't.

Is this something covered under warranty?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:17 AM
Hummer Authority

If you have a warranty left yet then yes it should, is a common problem.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKCORE
Funny that you bumped this thread today. TODAY while driving I was hearing this rattling coming from what I thought was the dash or the outside airbox cover. I pressed down on it a few times and I thought it went down some, and the noise went away. Naturally I thought that was it. Looks like it wasn't.

Is this something covered under warranty?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:58 AM
Hummer Veteran

MARKCORE is on a distinguished road

Nice! It's going in for a few other things next week, I'll add it to the list.

I see you're just about an hour north of me. Recommend a dealership to use and those to avoid?

Thanks!!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:02 AM
Hummer Authority

Glad that folks are using the search and finding help here on the site. Congrats getting it fixed.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmutchler
While an older post, I just finished mine with great results. I did not remove the air intake covers and the entire job took me about 20 minutes (both sides). Thanks to the author!