H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 07-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Front leveling = Rear sagging???

I have no clue about suspensions but why couldn't the leaf springs just go over the top of the rear axle rather than under. You would get a lift at point A & C that way too.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 07-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerNewbie
I have no clue about suspensions but why couldn't the leaf springs just go over the top of the rear axle rather than under. You would get a lift at point A & C that way too.

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...34&postcount=2

Old 07-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

What you want are a simple set of lift shackles. $600 is a lot of money for that. Wrangler owners use them for an easy 2" of lift.

Basically, they extend the rear mounting point of the leaf spring down from it's current position about 3-4" (or however long you want to go - more is riskier because of the forces involved). By lowering the rear of the leaf spring, you lower the tire in relation to the body, thereby raising the body.

One this you must be careful about is pinion angle. By only lowering the rear of the axle, you pivot the pumpkin UP towards the t-case, changing pinion angle - depending on conditions, you may need to shim the rear axle (at point B).

Here's what it will do for clearance (imho). The height of the pumpkin is determined by the tire height, the height of the body (and undercarraige) is determined by tire + suspension. By lifting the rear of the leaf pack, you will gain a small amount (maybe .5-1") near the front of the vehicle, but you will gain ~1-1.5" at the rear bumper. This would be very good for rock clearance on your departure angle, but shackles won't help approach (and if you raise the rear of the truck, it might hurt, relatively speaking, your approach angles).

I was at the dealer yesterday looking at the rancho lift. They have a set of long shackles in the back, maybe 4". I didn't look in the front to see if they used a hanger extension (my jeep lift had that). If you also had a hanger extension (for the front of the leaf springs), you wouldn't have pinion angle issues.

If you want to go better, get a set of revolver shackles. These are a two-piece lift shackle, that is folded in half in normal operation. When the wheel starts to drop, the shackles actually 'opens' and allows the rear axle to drop more than the leaf springs will allow. This helps on rocks to keep one extra wheel on the ground. I did a quickie google search and couldn't find any revolver shackles for the H3.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Hummer Guru

Ipedog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerNewbie

My quick answer would be that:
  1. You are way over the 1.5 to 2 inches of lift that the torsion bars can realisticly do
  2. You are messing with something very complicated with an under vs. over move. I'm not sure this would be something that should be done without some SERIOUS engineering
Besides that... I can't really think of anything. I think that the first point is the key thing here though.

Last edited by Ipedog : 07-28-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipedog
Okay Bebe's

In this pic you see what I'm calling the hanger. Its triangular in shape and welded to the frame. Call this point A

In these next two pics you see where the rear axel is attached to the leaf spring. Where the upside down U shaped bolts attach the leaf spring to the axel is point B

In this pic you can see the hanger A in the left of the pic.

In the this pic you can see the shackle C in the right of the pic.

In this pic you see the OEM shackle. Its about 2.3 to 3" long and is where the leaf spring attaches at end (bumper) of the truck. Call this point C

Does this make it any clearer Bebe?

CRYSTAL
Thanks!!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:27 PM
Hummer Guru

Learning makes me all giggly
Old 07-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

http://www.oly4x4.com/teraflex.htm

Scroll halfway down, you'll see a $70 set of shackles for an XJ (Jeep Cherokee). Super cheap way of lifting the rear of your vehicle. I'd bet you can get a reputable fab shop to do the same for $100.

Watch out for buginess, though. If you crank the t-bars and also lift the rear, you're going to end up with the same 'Present thyself' stance w/the azz end up in the air - great for rear clearance, but looks funny.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewie

Doh!!

I read that but totally forgot, sorry Bebe

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 07-29-2006, 12:07 AM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering about a different set of rear leaf springs where the main leaf was flush with the bottom spring hanger. This would raise the vehicle maybe 1.5" and you wouldn't have the notch wbeteen the hanger and leaf to get hung up on a rock?

This would required a differnt bend or wrap on the main leaf and maybe add a millitary full wrap on the 2nd leaf?

Look at a Rancho leaf spring for a Jeep Wrangler or an old CJ5 or Land Cruiser.

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 07-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipedog
Edit...

I'm not sure I agree with you Sewie. By adding the shackle aren't you forcing the axel away from the body of the vehicle? In essence lifting the hangers away from the ground.

I've been doing some research and it seems that the Colorado/Canyon people (Who have LOTS of lifts available ) do shackles to do the rear lift and a t-bar crank in the front. Typically this seems to yeild about 2 inches of lift on the cheap.

This sort of lift WOULD get the front hanger up away from the rocks.

Here is a pic of a Fabtech 3.5" Spindle/Shackle lift for the colorado/canyon. Only $600 too...

One small issue....may-beh... this kit is for 2WD??

2004 - 2005 Chevy/GMC Colorado/Canyon 2WD - 3.5" Spindle System

Fabtech?s Spindle system for the new midsize Colorado and Canyon features a cast replacement spindle that directly replaces the OE unit for a fast install. System includes steering stops, front brake lines and a rear shackle system to level the vehicle.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:44 AM
Hummer Expert

deserth3 is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't it be easier to have a shop make a small skid plate or cover to protect the hanger?
Could probubly come up with something to fit the reciever hitch and protect the back bumper. Though i don't know if the hitch could handle it.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:47 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserth3
Wouldn't it be easier to have a shop make a small skid plate or cover to protect the hanger?

It doesn't really need protecting. It needs to get the FAWK OUTTA THE WAY!!!!!

Amstar is making a skid for the shock plates. But you just end up losing even more clearance.

Old 07-29-2006, 03:03 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
It doesn't really need protecting. It needs to get the FAWK OUTTA THE WAY!!!!!

x11nty bazillion
Old 07-29-2006, 04:15 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
One small issue....may-beh... this kit is for 2WD??

2004 - 2005 Chevy/GMC Colorado/Canyon 2WD - 3.5" Spindle System

Fabtech?s Spindle system for the new midsize Colorado and Canyon features a cast replacement spindle that directly replaces the OE unit for a fast install. System includes steering stops, front brake lines and a rear shackle system to level the vehicle.

I just used it as an illustration of what was available and that used a shackle in the back. I know it wouldn't fit...

Quote:
Amstar is making a skid for the shock plates. But you just end up losing even more clearance.

I read somewhere from someone who had used a prototype that they just slid over the rocks smothly because they didn't have all the nooks and crannies to get hung up on.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

allan p is off the scale

xterra owners have referred to such lift as the "Poor Man's Lift" or PML for some time. You can buy a set of these for a whopping 5o bux and lift the ass end an inch and a half to counter the front's torsion bar crank.

a l l a n
Old 07-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Elcova Newbie

thunderbry is off the scale
Question Re: Front leveling = Rear sagging???

I've just been reading all of these ideas which i think are great and will work fine. But im thinking an even easier way to do this is to measure shock length and buy a simple set of air shox from your neighborhood auto zone then you could just lift the vehicle when needed as apposed to driving around with the back in the air all of the time. I had a ZR2 Chevy blazer which we have all seen with the back ends sagging to the ground and did this and it was awsome especially if you ever trailer with the vehicle you can just pump up the shox until you level it out. And it will give us all something to use those trick onboard air compressors for. I think the set of shox i bought were around $50.00. Just a thought
Old 07-31-2006, 08:08 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

Wonder how far you could go B4 the need for extending hoses etc would be required without damage? Looking at the rear the distance from ground to universal gearcase is about 9" with stock/standard tires. If shackels were extended one inch at "C" It would have no effect there. Only raise body. This is unlike torsion bar tightening effect which effects both elements in front.
This would appear to solve the sag issue on the surface. However underneath the rear would still be low...
Old 07-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

I am still looking for rear spring u-bolt skid plate/sliders. Has anyone seen them? I have only seen them on th AM Star web site

A spring perch slider would be good too.

Does anyone know what spring and suspension set up they use on the Rod Hall stock class H3 race truck??

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 07-31-2006, 08:29 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage
Wonder how far you could go B4 the need for extending hoses etc would be required without damage? Looking at the rear the distance from ground to universal gearcase is about 9" with stock/standard tires. If shackels were extended one inch at "C" It would have no effect there. Only raise body. This is unlike torsion bar tightening effect which effects both elements in front.
This would appear to solve the sag issue on the surface. However underneath the rear would still be low...

You're right. Point B, the axel, and the dif in the center are static in height to the ground. The only way to increase this distance is via larger tires, which many of us have done (315's or 35's).

The ultimate point of this exercise is to gain height at point A. So if a 3" longer shackle would yeild 1" to 1.5" to 2" at point A then that seems a perfect thing.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:33 PM
Hummer Guru

You are so smart

Let's get some longer shackels made....who do we know here that can do that for us???