H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 01-16-2007, 04:05 AM
Hummer Novice

96TL is on a distinguished road
Default '07 H3; Aftermarket radio installation

Hey guys. I just got my H3 a few weeks ago. I want to add an aftermarket double DIN headunit. I'm a little confused as to which wiring harness I need. I want to keep the OnStar and door chimes. I plan on running aftermarket amps and speakers. I know I need the Scosche GM1595 for the double DIN install, but I'm confused about the harnesses. I don't want to mess around with the factory wiring since its a leased vehicle. Thanks!

Dom
Old 01-16-2007, 04:33 AM
Hummer Professional

HumbleAg is off the scale
Default Re: '07 H3; Aftermarket radio installation

To keep Onstar and chimes, I used peripheral GMAH24B and GMAHCM. I tried an all-in-one solution (Neucleus NC-GM39B) but it caused a "pop" in the speakers. Perhipheral stuff works great.

I'm not sure about aftermarket amp (I kept the monsoon that mine came with). The way the adapters plug in, I think you would have to modify the vehicle wiring to change the amp. May be a bit much for a leased vehicle.

Good luck.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:41 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

there are several adapters (harnesses, modules) that you can go with, different brands, like peripheral, pac and some others. The one I, and a couple of other people on here, have used is the peripheral GMAH24B, heres teh link, http://www.cardomain.com/item/PERGMAH24B , and if you would like to keep the door, key, etc chimes, you will also need the GMAHCM heres the link http://www.cardomain.com/item/PERGMAHCM .

I have not had any major problems with this module, except for one thing, the is an alternator "whine" present when you use onstar. I dont think this is because of the adapter but it might be related to it, i think its most likely due to the ground used. The reson i dont think its the modules is because i initially did not have the whine, but then added some more electronics to the truck adn maybe overused a ground and now i have it. But it might be related to the modules because some others who have used the modules also have had this problem.

which unit are you planning on installing?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:43 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Soundgate digistar works well in that rig, and it is all in one piece (no separate chime module).
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 01-16-2007, 04:56 AM
Hummer Novice

I'm ordering the Panasonic CQVD6503U.
http://www.cardomain.com/item/PANCQVD6503U

I just want to make sure the door chimes and OnStar both function. I also want to be able to distinguish the power, ignition, and ground wires easily and w/o hacking the OEM wires.

This is the stereo I plan on installing.

Front components
Diamond Audio S600S

Rear fill
“CDT” CL-6EX

Subwoofer
JL Audio 13W7 (ported box)

Amplifiers
JL Audio - 450/4 - 150x2 (front) / 75x2 (rear)
JL Audio 1000/1 - 1000x1 (Subwoofer)
Old 01-16-2007, 05:01 AM
Hummer Novice

So the GMAH24B is just for the OnStar to function? I'm not using the OEM amps or speakers. Kind of pricey.

Thanks for the help so far everyone. This is a very friendly forum.

Dom
Old 01-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

If you get that one without the chime mod there will be no audible alarms/tones exept the blinker. Make sure you get the current model or you will need to solder a jumper on the gm side of the harnes which I do not recommend.
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 01-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Hummer Novice

wpage, how would I know if I got the most recent one? I definitely don't want to solder anything.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:57 AM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

You will know when you install it and your aftermarket unit will not work. Thats how I noticed. Was told the older units were out. When contacting peripheral tech support they sent a email attachment with the wire schematic for the jumper install. Not a big deal unless you choose to go back to a factory radio and have forgotten.
Call Peripheral and talk to Mr Tassillo in tech support he knows what he is doing and will give you the details on the color code for wires. The 800 # is on the box...
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 01-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Hummer Novice

Hey guys. I have another question (actually two). Which do you think is the most reliable harness? Soundgate, Peripheral or Pac? Price wise, the Soundgate is the cheapest, and the Pac the most expensive.

Soundgate - $130
Peripheral GMAH24B & Peripheral GMAHCM - $155
Pac OS2 & Pac CM1 - $180

Also, I have the stock Monsoon stereo, but I don?t plan on using it at all. Do I order the Bose adaptor, or non-Bose adaptor?

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Hummer Professional

Peripheral is working fine for me, I don't recall seeing any complaints about it anywhere.

Neucleus sent me a new unit (all in one) to replace the first one that I got that caused a "pop". I haven't had a chance to hook it up and try it yet, but I plan on doing that so I can sell it with a good conscience. It has two sets of ports, amplified and non-amplified, so it would work with or without Bose. It is less than any of the others.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

JAYB1RD is on a distinguished road

I have the soundgate digistar in mine, no cutting of the factory wiring required. Sometimes I get a bit of noise interference when using onstar, but most of the time it works just like it's supposed to.

I can't answer your 2nd question, but I'm sure the manufacturer of whichever interface you choose should be able to answer that when you're ready to order.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:27 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Go with the Soundgate Digistar
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 02-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Hummer Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYB1RD
I have the soundgate digistar in mine, no cutting of the factory wiring required. Sometimes I get a bit of noise interference when using onstar, but most of the time it works just like it's supposed to.

I can't answer your 2nd question, but I'm sure the manufacturer of whichever interface you choose should be able to answer that when you're ready to order.

Are you using aftermarket amps or stock?

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

JAYB1RD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96TL
Are you using aftermarket amps or stock?

Thanks.
My stock stereo was the non-bose system, so the only stock amp for me was inside the stock headunit. My door speakers are currently powered by the amp in the aftermarket headunit through the factory wiring. Same configuration, aside from the subwoofers and amp in the back

I just re-read your posts and realized you're pulling out all the stock monsoon equipment. If that is indeed the case, then I believe you'll want to get a non-bose interface like I have. Again, call the manufacturer and ask just to double check. I wouldn't want you to be stuck 1/2 way through an install because of a simple mistake!

The Digistar is nice because it's an all-in-one unit...door chimes, warning chimes, and onstar. There's also an adjustment knob for the door chime volume. The onstar volume is a bit on the quiet side for highway use and is not adjustable. It isn't any less useable, but you do have to listen closely to hear what's being said. In town, and at speeds less than 60mph or so, it's just right though.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Hummer Novice

Thanks for the info. I'll go with the Digistar, but I'll confirm if I need the non-bose or bose version first. I can't wait to get this installed.

Thanks everyone.

Dom
Old 02-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Hummer Professional

I just wanted to follow-up my previous post with the results of some new testing.

Unfortunately, the Neucleus NC-GM39B from American International does not work properly on the H3. Although it does interface the chimes and onstar, it causes a "pop" in the speakers after shutting off that I found unacceptable.

I returned the original unit after talking to their tech support and received a replacement. Unfortunately, it functioned exactly the same.

Hopefully anyone doing a search on this part number will find this information useful (I guess I was a guinea pig on this one).

If anyone needs a $100 paperweight I have one for sale.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Hummer Novice

CCMDoc is on a distinguished road
Default Monsoon amp

I just installed an oem navigation unit in my '07 H3. Looks like I need a monsoon amp instead of the amp that goes with the basic CD/XM stereo that I took out. Volume is low for OnStar, Nav and stereo itself.
Anyone here have one for sale or know the P/N so that I can get a hold of one?
Thanks,
Paul
Old 02-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Hummer Professional

Crash ? is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Monsoon amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMDoc
I just installed an oem navigation unit in my '07 H3. Looks like I need a monsoon amp instead of the amp that goes with the basic CD/XM stereo that I took out. Volume is low for OnStar, Nav and stereo itself.
Anyone here have one for sale or know the P/N so that I can get a hold of one?
Thanks,
Paul

Paul.. Take it by the dealer, tell 'em what you've done, they'll plug it up do a quick programing change and you'll be good to go..
Old 02-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Hummer Novice

CCMDoc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Monsoon amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash ?
Paul.. Take it by the dealer, tell 'em what you've done, they'll plug it up do a quick programing change and you'll be good to go..

Thanks I'll give it a shot with them.
Paul