H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Photos of YOUR H3

Old 03-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PUTTING SPARE ON TOP OF RACK AND HOLE IN DOOR ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evldave
I'm at work right now and can't post pics, but I'll take a pic of my roof rack w/spare tire tonight when I get home from work. Chances are I'll get home and immediately start drinking and forget, so PM if you don't see a pic by tomorrow.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Thanks for the reminder, I'm a flake It's pouring right now, so no pics of how I have it mounted, but here it is from above.

To mount it to the rack, I used a basic u-shaped threaded rod and a big-azz wingnut. It's been up there for a long time, no major issues except gas mileage (or lack thereof). I don't think it's that hard to get up and down but I haven't taken down in months and months.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

Nice rack and spare! Whats in the other container beer?
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 03-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage
Nice rack and spare! Whats in the other container beer?

Beer? Nah, I keep that in a cooler on the passenger seat for easy access while driving

Those are tools bins, parts, misc crap. I don't really have room inside for anything, and that makes it less likely to steal than on a rear rack (maybe something on the rear door in place of the spare that locks would be nice). Eventually I might put some locking container container up there or maybe my Yakima spacebooster (just collecting dust right now). Plenty f room up there for my sea kayak, bike, and camping bins...
Old 03-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

H3less is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by evldave
There are plenty of back-n-forth discussions on exactly what the weight carrying capacity is on the rear door and the tire mount. You will find some (like me) who take a more conservative approach and prefer little weight that is suspended off the door, and others who are more comfortable with putting weight both directly up against the door as well as on racks (mounted to the door using the existing holes).

I've personally had the spare, one mtn bike (maybe 26-28 lbs) on the door and still used the tire as a single step up to the roof rack (I weight ~200#). I'd probably be ok with this if it wasn't a regular thing and i don't stand on it - it's just temporary. I'd probably recommend against mounting a ladder AND the spare to the back to the door and then using it - on a ladder you will likely climb up, putting more weight for longer on the door, causing more deflection. Again, that's my opinion and you will find 10 people with 10 opinions on this topic, none of us with any scientific data one way or the other

I was thinking that I wouldn't put anything but the ladder on the door, using the mounting holes for the ladder mount(some how ) (I like the cleaner look, with some kind of plate to cover and protect the vent) the spare would move to the roof with hi-lift etc.
I am now assuming that a ladder, with me and a spare, hopefully only a couple of times would be just fine. Seems everyone else is putting considerably more weight on them and for a much longer time than I plan to.