H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-21-2011, 01:33 AM
Hummer Novice

Deuce is on a distinguished road
Default To crank or not to crank?

So, I need some new tires for my '04 H2, and I'd like to go up to a set of 37x13.5 Mud Grapplers on my stock wheels. From what I've read, they will fit with a torsion bar crank, but will rub at full crank on the steering wheel. Hopefully someone can confirm or deny this for me...

After doing the crank, how will this affect my ride quality? I do plan on replacing the shocks soon, but want to get the rest of this done first.

Is there anything else you guys feel I should know? Good idea or bad?

Thanks!

Owner of Lure Me In Custom Tackle - Northern BC's newest and hottest custom tackle builders!! See us for all of your fishing tackle needs!! lure_me_in@live.ca
Old 02-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

justdanorm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: To crank or not to crank?

I had 37x11 ProComp Mud Terrains on the stock wheels with VERY little rubbing, only when turning the wheel ALL the way over.

I now have 37x13.5 22's and rub like all hell. The fender liners have been cracked where it rubs after about 4,000 miles, not terrible but it sounds like crap when turning, especially in reverse, or when flexed at all.

I have not cranked the torsion bar but am going to do so soon and if that doesn't help, the leveling kit.

They look schweet tho

Coming Soon: Fabtech 6"
Old 02-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

Stellar is off the scale

If you crank the torsion bars I would recommend new longer shocks up front to compensate / alleviate the harsher ride, or shock extenders if you plan on keeping your stock shocks.
IMO the torison bars cranked up a lil along with a 1" coil spacer in the rear looks great with 37's if you're running coils.
2" wheel spacers
In Tune I2, Air Raid Filter, Air Raid MIT, throttle body bypass, straight pipe exhaust
Cognito UCAs. Kryptonite UCA ball joints. Kryptonite tie rods. Kryptonite death grip Idler. Moog HD pitman.
5.13 gears. E-locker front
Bilstein stabilizer
Old 02-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Hummer Professional

Humdingah is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm looking at the same thing and trying to decide between the 35x12.50x20 Mud Grapplers and the 37x13.50x20s. Looking at Nitto's website the 35s are actually 35.04 inches in diameter and right at 13.00 inches wide on a 10" rim. The 37s are 37.05 inches in diameter and 14.13 inches wide on an 11" rim.

I'm thinking the 37s at more like a 37x14.25x20 are going to be way too wide...that's a lot of cranking and you're likely still going to get some rub.

I'm sticking with the 35s.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:23 AM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

I went from the stock BFG ATs to 37x12.50x17 BFG MTs. I installed the Truxx keys and gave it a crank to level the truck out...very, very little rubbing for the first few thousand miles at full turn...but the torsion bar crank made it ride like sh!t.

Two weeks later I went with the Cognito leveling kit, upper control arms, longer Billstein shocks, etc...this brought the ride back to normal. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:35 AM
Hummer Novice

Deuce is on a distinguished road

So, if I crank it up to level, add some Cognito shock extenders and some new bump stops, I should be able to run 13.5's with little rubbing, and still have a decent ride?

If anyone has a pic or two of that setup with Mud Grapplers, I'd looove to see it!

Thanks!

Owner of Lure Me In Custom Tackle - Northern BC's newest and hottest custom tackle builders!! See us for all of your fishing tackle needs!! lure_me_in@live.ca
Old 02-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Hummer Expert

[__--MUD--__] is on a distinguished road

I think it depends alot on the tire manufacturers true size of the tire. 37" Toyo MT's are bigger than other brand 37's I've seen- which I believe leads to the question of why 37's fit on one h2, but not another...
Old 02-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by [__--MUD--__]
I think it depends alot on the tire manufacturers true size of the tire. 37" Toyo MT's are bigger than other brand 37's I've seen- which I believe leads to the question of why 37's fit on one h2, but not another...
Old 02-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Hummer Expert

HumminNBoatin' is on a distinguished road

I have 37x13.5x18 Toyo M/T's on my H2. I got the chevy Green Keys and put Rancho RS5000 Shocks on the front that are designed for the t-bar lift.

Before I had the Toyo's i had BFG 37x12.5x18 KM's . They did not rub at stock height.

When I first put the toyos on the truck would rub on turns and compression. after I intalled the green keys and shocks I have had no more problems. Also If you are going with a tire that wide make sure you do the air sensor mod if you have air ride. If you do not you will be sorry!