H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 02-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Hummer Veteran

primal-hunter is off the scale

Has anyone had this problem and if they have found a solution - would they mind sharing it with the rest of us?

The problem is that when you are driving down the highway and there is a strong cross wind coming from the passenger side, there is a strong hum coming from the hood area. When you change directions it goes away.

Please advise.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Hummer Veteran

primal-hunter is off the scale

Has anyone had this problem and if they have found a solution - would they mind sharing it with the rest of us?

The problem is that when you are driving down the highway and there is a strong cross wind coming from the passenger side, there is a strong hum coming from the hood area. When you change directions it goes away.

Please advise.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

My Wife\'s Hummer is off the scale

i drove in some strong winds today, and in some test drives in the last month. i did not notice this, but might not have been in the same angle as yours. this might just be something that you have to live with.

have you checked to make sure your hood is aligned right? if it is sitting up to high, there is an adjustable stopper in the front corners where the hood comes down. you might be able to tweak that a little.

06' H3 Boulder Grey, Lux, Off-Road, AirRaid CAI, TB Spacer, AVIC-D2
Old 02-21-2006, 04:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

bmoser1 is off the scale

I have noticed this as well. I thought that the humming sound was coming from the side mirror as it was vibrating during the hum. Just my observation.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:54 PM

CampMaster is off the scale

Chevy Avalanche owners experienced something similar... with the bug deflector installed, it changed the air flow enough to cause the windshield side moldings to vibrate/flap in the wind. The fix was to install the double sided tape under the windshield side moldings.

Might be worth checking out, even though a bug deflector is not necessarily involved; it does sound like the change in wind direction does create the noise/vibration.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

Kiraco is an unknown quantity at this point

I have noticed the sounds but it is coming from the A pillar..
Old 02-21-2006, 11:48 PM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

I know exactly what your talking about. Mine does the same thing. I would be willing to bet that it's air going through that hood vent on the drivers side. I've checked all the plastic trim around the windshield and everything is very secure.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:02 AM
Hummer Authority

Demo is an unknown quantity at this point

me 2, i hate noise
Old 02-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

Planohummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Put masking tape over your vertical side moldings at the windshield and see how it sounds. Use painter's tape if you've got it--no residue. If so, take it to the dealer and let them take it from there.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Planohummer:
Put masking tape over your vertical side moldings at the windshield and see how it sounds. Use painter's tape if you've got it--no residue. If so, take it to the dealer and let them take it from there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A good very good idea. Another idea if the tape does not solve the problem is to remove the radio antenna, and see if the humming noise goes away.
The H3 does come with the wire wound antenna (wire wound on the outer part), and that stops a lot of vibration from the antenna which causes a resonance that sounds like a hum.
However, under certain conditions, nothing you can do to an antenna will stop a possible humming noise.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Hummer Professional

HumbleAg is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kiraco:
I have noticed the sounds but it is coming from the A pillar.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ditto. A-pillar molding on mine is loose and doesn't cover roof rack molding, going to let the dealer fix it next visit.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:08 AM
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon's Avatar
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is offline
Hummer Professional

MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

chevy owners experience this with their bug deflectors because it caused a rubber flap that's on both sides of the vehicle (who's function is who knows what) to actually flap rapidly. it sounded like it was coming from the a-pillars. more of a crackling sound like the windshield was about to shatter. anyway, i took my shield off and it disappeared. from some quick looks at some pictures, i don't see these flaps anywhere on the h3's.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HumbleAg:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kiraco:
I have noticed the sounds but it is coming from the A pillar.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ditto. A-pillar molding on mine is loose and doesn't cover roof rack molding, going to let the dealer fix it next visit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a suggestion, hold off on having the dealer replace the A-pillar moldings until the new ones are available in May; along with the new roof rail moldings that won't crack.
The new A-pillar molding will fit better and overlap the roof rail molding better than the existing ones.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

Black_H3 is off the scale
Default Re: Noise coming from the hood area with strong wind

Good.. I thought I was the only one Mine starts the damn hissing sound at about 95 mph on the freeway. Took it in and they looked at the drivers side intake and they said nothing is wrong with it. I might try the tape thing over the screen and see if that helps.
Is the A-piller really used as an intake like on a H1?
Old 05-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Hummer Expert

blindzebra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Noise coming from the hood area with strong wind

not to be southern, but "ya'll" got to be kiidden me! You didn't turn on the monsoon!!!!!