H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-18-2010, 03:50 AM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default BlueStar install w/pics

Installed in my 2004 H2:
Sidebar: I lost my flash in the middle of the install so some of the Pictures may be lite on quality
Keep engine off
Put Emergency Brake on
BlueStar unit:

Remove Console and Armrest:

Turn key to accessory, don't start engine.
Shift to 1st gear.
Using a T10 Torx losen set screw on front of shifter. Shift to neutral and remove by lifting straight up:

Remove cup holder and Shifter assembly by pushing straigt up from underneath.
Side note: This is a good time to clean up the Cup Holder and assembly. You can borrow Wifey's toothbrush if she pissed you off!

Take a look down inside near the shifter. You may find s bunch of coins. I removed them so they wouldn't jam up anything. Bonus of $1.07

Remove bolt to the right of Shifter assembly as well as 2 hex screws from front of console:

Lift and slide back console so you can reomve the center bezel.
Remove Center bezel by removing 2 hex bolts on the center bezel and pulling bezel straight out, unclipping 3 push clips. Once removed unbolt the Onstar unit:

Unplug 2 white plugs form back of OnStar. (Make sure you don't remove the white antenna plug) 2 plugs are connected together by grey foam. Carefully cut the foam in order to seperate the 2 plugs. Re-route the 2 white plugs up and to the right near the glove compartment. I put the BlusStar unit in the cavity behind the radio. Make sure to keep BlueStar circuit board away from any metal where it could possibly short out.

I woulg guess 2 hours from start to finish. Mine took longer but I messed around with some other wiring while I had eerything removed.
Good Luck and let me know how it goes!
Hope this helps!

Old 01-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BlueStar install w/pics

Wtf is BlueStar?
Old 01-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It's a box type thing you plug into OnStar so you can connect to your Onstar system with any BlueTooth Cell Phone using whatever cell service you have. I have Verizon. It uses the OnStar Mic and Car speakers just like OnStar did. You also should be able to use Steering wheel controls. I can't cause I have an aftermarket head unit.
It works and sounds great though!

Here is the link:
http://costartech.com/pb/products/bluestar.html

and here is a better explanation from their website:
Quote:
BlueSTAR 2010

The BlueSTAR 2010 is an integrated communications system designed to allow bluetooth communications in your GM vehicle. It works by utilizing the onstar equipment in your vehicle (microphone and mirror keypad) to communicate to a hands free car kit which connects to your cellphone.

There are NO EXTRA CHARGES to pay EVER. You use YOUR phone with YOUR minutes as you see fit.

Better yet, the BlueSTAR is invisible in your vehicle. There are no wires to run, no speakers to install, no microphone to route, and no ugly chrome keypad glued to your dash. And since the BlueSTAR takes advantage of the high quality sound equipment already installed in your vehicle, the audio quality is far superior to other bluetooth options including car kits and headsets.

Make calls, answer calls, mute calls, and transfer calls all using the existing onstar mirror buttons. And if your phone is equipped with voice dialing, you can do it all with the touch of a button.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:25 AM
Hummer Veteran

rmutchler is on a distinguished road

Great example NJ! I've read a bit about the BlueStar, but wasn't too sure about it. Was going to go with the Parrot myself, but this sounds like the real deal and I like the fact that you can use your existing microphone! I still have several months of OnStar left, but will think seriously about this when the time comes. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics!
Old 02-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Hummer Veteran

Trinity2427 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys - just a quick note - I did install the bluestar in my 08 SUT and have not had any luck at all getting it to work with my iPhone - apparently its a known issue - has anyone out there had any luck?
Thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 01:18 AM
Hummer Veteran

Ok, I seriously thought about it as mentioned earlier and my Onstar is now expired (didn't feel it was worth renewal). I found a new Bluestar unit under the tree and will dive into the install sometime this week. I've already installed the software on my laptop and updated the version of firmware on the unit itself. I bought the appropriate USB cable to leave on the unit so I can access the unit to update at will, and I plan on mounting the unit above the glovebox and to the left. Gee, I feel like I have prepared so well that nothing could possibly go wrong...right? We shall see!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

410225 is on a distinguished road

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.onstarbluetooth.net/
Old 01-24-2011, 04:14 AM
Hummer Veteran

Well, I was thoroughly prepared for the install and it went as planned. Got into the dash, unplugged the Onstar unit, plugged in the Costar and I was done! Unfortunately the unit would not wake up on a recurring basis. When it worked, it was great, but sometimes (daily) it would simply not come out of sleep mode to sync up. Chris from Costar was very helpful, but after sending the unit to him, it checked out fine on his bench. He promptly refunded my cost, but I was disappointed to learn it wasn't compatible with my truck. Great idea, but I must have something odd on my truck to reject it...but it's all stock? Oh well, worth the shot.