H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-13-2005, 04:08 PM

Snake II is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Snake II:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Snake II:
LOL! Yes. 4 JL Audio 12w6's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2005, 04:09 PM

LOL! Yes. 4 JL Audio 12w6's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2005, 06:23 PM
Hummer Professional

md_sailor is off the scale

I appreciate all the posts and advice! Am I correct in thinking that I cannot simply upgrade the Speakers? I think I remember reading that the Bose speakers are 1 Ohm and the Focals I want to Use are 4 ohm? I really want to retain the Head unit and Upgrade all of the Speakers and Possibly Add a Sub. What is the easiest way to accomplish this? I dont want to Screw up Onstar or the steering controls. I was thinking about putting the Focal Component set up in the rear " 6.5" in the existing rear door locations and the 4" in the rear pillars with the tweeters stuck some where Strategic. In front I was going to install the 165w Utopias? Does anyone know if the Bose amp can simply be replaced or is it a integral part of onstar and the rest of the system?
Old 06-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Hummer Professional

Longhorn is off the scale

Changing just the speakers is not a good idea. If you are spending the $ on Focal components you should change the head unit anyway to get the fidelity you're seeking.

I kept all the factory speakers intact including the fact sub and added a JL 500/1 and a Kicker Solobaric 10" L7 in a sealed box.

The shop used a quality line output converter connected after the Bose amp so my new amp only receives a low freq. signal. It sounds good. Added a little extra low end and midbass without rattling my teeth. I also did the remote bass switch but I honestly can't tell a difference with it.

The bose amp is tied to all sorts of stuff by my understanding.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:25 AM

I changed out the entire system. I am in process of ripping it out and am trading the SUV in for a 05 SUT LUX.

Trying to design the new system with the funcionality of the collapsable rear door.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Hummer Professional

I am not interested in changing the Head unit. I have a '05 Touch screen Nav unit with Factory XM, CD Changer, and IPOD. I upgrade Speakers and AMPS if possible. I know I can use a Pac-Audio adapter to add a amp and Sub, Does anyone know if I can use more than one adapter to run to the other speakers?
Old 06-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Hummer Professional

Boar-Ral is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by md_sailor:
Alright Guys, I've done a thread search for Amp's and was hoping for more specific information. I have a 2003 Lux that I have installed the 2005 touch nav and XM radio with the USASpec 6 disc changer. I would like input on how to ad an aftermarket amplifier. I may also upgrade the existing speakers. I am not intrested in changing the appearance of the system or speakers and would prefer to have aftermarket speakers that swap out with the OEM Bose units. Does anyone have input or pics of installations to share? I would not mind a Sub but dont want to loose cargo area. In my opinion an added amp and quality speakers should provide enough base response to suit me. I look forward to your help. You guys rock! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do not have a lot of experience with car audio, and have only watched friends working on my vehicles in the past. That being said, it should be quite easy to maintain the current headunit and just add an amplifier. I think the item you need is a line level converter. (I know someone here will step up with the proper name.) It just taps into the wires going to the factory speakers, and provides the signal that will go into your amplifier. From there, you can output from the amplifier, back to your speakers.

I wish you luck if you are interested in a JL Audio Stealthbox. I live in a small city and we only have a couple JL Audio resellers, and none of them ever return my telephone calls regarding availability of the H2 Stealthbox. If I could find someone online that sold them, it would probably take less time.

The people here are very knowledgable. I am certain they will be able to help you more.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:01 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by md_sailor:
Thanks Guys, What I'm really looking for is how to interface a new amp, where people have located them and how the added power was allocated? ie? was the new amp just to drive a Sub? or did the new amp go to run the existing speakers and the bose amp go to the sub? What aftermarket speakers have you guys had experience with I am thinking about installing Focal Utopia's, does anyone have first hand knowledge of them? Amp Mounting options? I'm concerned about the rear under seat location with regard to being able to fold the seats, My Changer leaves marks on the seat cushions and i dont want to thinks about what a Hot Amp might do..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Most amplifiers will fit beneath your seat, if you keep them simple. If height becomes an issue, consider a separate amplifier for your subwoofer and a separate amplifier for your door speakers, and put them under different seats. I bought a Soundstream Davinci 7-channel amplifier two years ago to install in my Ford Excursion, and pulled it when I traded it in for my H2. Unfortunately, I am having an extremely difficult time locating a place to install it. (The amplifier is about five inches tall, 24" wide, and about 18" deep.) I have considered trying to mount it into the back of the third-row seat but would want a quick-release for the speakers and power and have relays setup to automatically switch over to the old factory amplifier in this case; quite a task unto itself. A more practical option might be to custom fabricate an enclosure, similar to the JL Audio Stealthbox, but mirror it for the passenger side.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Focal, but I have read good reviews of them in the past. I went with Soundstream only because I found a store that had their equipment on sale.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AngUPS:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">stealthbox </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dallion is correct; JL has the best options and the best sounding speakers around. The H2 that the JL web site features is my H2. I just happen to know some of the folks at JL and my H2 was used as the prototype for the stealthbox. It sounds great and does not take up any needed space. Good luck with what ever you decide. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Maybe you can actually get someone there to help me buy one?
Old 06-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Hummer Professional

I appreciate all the posts and advice! Am I correct in thinking that I cannot simply upgrade the Speakers? I think I remember reading that the Bose speakers are 1 Ohm and the Focals I want to Use are 4 ohm? I really want to retain the Head unit and Upgrade all of the Speakers and Possibly Add a Sub. What is the easiest way to accomplish this? I dont want to Screw up Onstar or the steering controls. I was thinking about putting the Focal Component set up in the rear " 6.5" in the existing rear door locations and the 4" in the rear pillars with the tweeters stuck some where Strategic. In front I was going to install the 165w Utopias? Does anyone know if the Bose amp can simply be replaced or is it a integral part of onstar and the rest of the system? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I completely forgot about the difference in ohm ratings on the two different speakers. My previous advice might have been incorrect in light of this.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Longhorn:
I kept all the factory speakers intact including the fact sub and added a JL 500/1 and a Kicker Solobaric 10" L7 in a sealed box. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Does the H2 have a factory subwoofer? I have wondered about this because some years, the web site mention 9 speakers, other times 8. I haven't gone searching, but I cannot imagine where it would be, if there was one. Maybe I can finally get an answer.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:54 PM
Hummer Professional

Yes there is a Subwoofer box in the center stack next to the passengers feet under the dash. I do not know how big it is as it is referred to as a Unit in the Tech Manual.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:15 PM
Hummer Professional

Yes there is a Subwoofer box in the center stack next to the passengers feet under the dash. I do not know how big it is as it is referred to as a Unit in the Tech Manual. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thank you. I will explore around there next time I am working in that area.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:49 AM
Hummer Professional

TBarrow is off the scale

This is my amp rack.
Attached Images

Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2\" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Xenarc HID, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, B&B Headers and full dual exhaust by B&B as well, ARB fridge/freezer, Full Audio upgrade.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Hummer Professional

Nice, does it precluse you from laying the seats down flat?
Old 06-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Hummer Professional

Preclude....
Old 07-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Hummer Professional

TBarrow is off the scale

Yes they are at an angle but I never really need the extra room inside as I have the GOBI Rack.
Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2\" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Xenarc HID, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, B&B Headers and full dual exhaust by B&B as well, ARB fridge/freezer, Full Audio upgrade.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:11 AM
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon's Avatar
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is offline
Hummer Professional

MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

well, there are bits and pieces of correct information, so let's see if i can help sum it up.

to keep your factory head unit, you'll need what's called a line output converter (l.o.c.). any audio shop should have these in stock. even an electronics store like best buy. basically what it does is convert your 12 gauge wire into RCA signals. so...you will need one for each set that provides sound from your headunit. tap all wires before the factory amp.

amp 1 = your 4 channel for the highs. it will be 6 channel if you want to do your trunk speakers also.
amp 2 = your mono class-d sub amp
(note: i have not verified these wires, but the source has a 90% accuracy with me. don't know the colors of the trunk wires though.)

head unit > tan(+)/gray(-) > l.o.c. > amp 1 > Left front speaker
head unit > lt grn(+)/dk grn(-) > l.o.c. > amp 1 > Right front speaker
head unit > brwn(+)/yellow(-) > l.o.c. > amp 1 > Left rear speaker
head unit > dk blue(+)/lt blue(-) > l.o.c. > amp 1 > Right rear speaker
head unit > l.o.c. > amp 1 > left trunk speaker
head unit > l.o.c. > amp 1 > right trunk speaker
head unit > l.o.c. > amp 2 > sub

easiest thing to do with the sub is the infinity basslink t. i've heard it in a silverado, and it sounds great for someone who's not competing in sound competitions. l.o.c. and amp are built in. more info here.

hope that helps.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Hummer Professional

It does! Thanks, Do you know if onstar would still function through the new amps? I have already picked up a couple of Zapcos for power. I'm curious, Does it make sense to anyone else to buy 3 way components Like the Focal 165 W3 and stick the 4" mids in place of the Back Pillar speakers? if yes where would you guys mount the Tweeters? Or would you?