H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BIODIESEL

I just ran into an old patrol buddy of mine at a party. He has an H1 Alpha (ragtop). He says he runs biodiesel (specifically walnut oil, there are 2 stations out here that pump it) and gets much better acceleration than with regular diesel fuel. No mod's done to his engine and no odor either.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BIODIESEL

That's nuts!

...get it? ...nuts? Walnuts? ...yep, it's too early for this type of humor.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower
I just ran into an old patrol buddy of mine at a party. He has an H1 Alpha (ragtop). He says he runs biodiesel (specifically walnut oil, there are 2 stations out here that pump it) and gets much better acceleration than with regular diesel fuel. No mod's done to his engine and no odor either.
He's full of crap. Biodiesel is less efficient.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

#2 IS THE WAY TO GO ,BIO HAS NO NUTS . # 2 WITH PROPANE IS THE HOT TICKET FOR POWER AND MILEAGE . your buddy is on crack or cracked walnuts.
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRA51
#2 IS THE WAY TO GO ,BIO HAS NO NUTS . # 2 WITH PROPANE IS THE HOT TICKET FOR POWER AND MILEAGE . your buddy is on crack or cracked walnuts.

I thought propane was a gas. How do they get it to mix with and stay in a liquid? Nevermind. I'm . Answered my own question:

http://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/home.html

However, I also found this:

By C.J. Baker
Systems for injecting propane into turbo-diesels have been around for some time. The people that make and sell such systems claim that diesels only burn about 75 percent of the fuel that is injected into the cylinders, and that propane acts as a combustion catalyst to burn the remaining 25 percent of the fuel. This is a dubious claim, especially for newer, modern diesels. Direct injection and common rail fuel injection greatly improve the efficiency of turbo-diesel combustion while simultaneously reducing emissions. If 25 percent of the fuel were going out the exhaust unburned, modern diesels would have high hydrocarbon and particulate emissions. In truth, they have neither. The same cannot be said for older, indirect injection (IDI) diesels, which are less efficient than ?modern? configurations, but it is doubtful that even IDI diesels waste 25 percent of the fuel injected (see "Diesel Evolution" elsewhere on this site).
Purveyors of propane systems also claim fuel economy will increase 2-3 miles per gallon with full-time use of propane injection. They make no distinction between motorhomes and pickups, but since they probably want to portray as favorable a number as possible, we must assume that increase is for an unloaded pickup. While this claim may be accurate, it is also misleading. What?s really important is the total fuel cost per mile, which isn?t just the diesel fuel costs, but also the propane costs. Most propane systems use approximately one gallon of propane to every four gallons of diesel fuel. When the propane cost is added in, it?s often cheaper to get the lower miles per gallon on straight diesel without propane.
Of course, propane systems aren?t sold purely for fuel economy. Most propane systems are sold to add power to the vehicle. There?s no argument here. Propane will add power to help negotiate long grades, shorten passing time, etc. How much power is added depends on the system design and the size of the turbo-diesel it is used on, but 50 to 100 HP gains are commonly advertised. Propane proponents also suggest a high-flow performance exhaust system be added to the vehicle to realize the full power potential of a propane injection system.
At Banks, we think there is a better and safer solution to adding power and economy. A propane system, propane tank, refill kit, and performance exhaust system can easily cost $1800 to $2500, and in truth, much of the power and economy gain may be coming from the high-flow exhaust system. A better plan is to add a power system that increases total engine airflow and efficiency. Banks has a range of such power systems from the economical Git-Kit to the top-of-the-line PowerPack? for most turbo-diesel pickups and motorhomes. The beauty of this approach is that power is increased as much or more than by adding propane, fuel mileage is improved (and total fuel costs reduced), there?s no need to buy or refill a propane tank, and there?s no potential hazard of carrying flammable propane. Better still, a Banks system lowers exhaust gas temperature and extends engine life. In the long run, a Banks system is less expensive, more efficient, safer, and more convenient.
For maximum power rigs, such as those used in pickup pull or truck pull contests, or even diesel light truck drag racing, propane injection can be used as a way to further increase power on a diesel that has already been extensively modified, especially if it been modified to the point of overfueling. However, under these same circumstances, we believe equal or greater power gains can be achieved with less expense and trouble by installing nitrous oxide injection (see "Nitrous Oxide & the Diesel" elsewhere on this site).
The bottom line: save the propane for the stove and the furnace.

http://bankspower.com/tech_propane.cfm

Last edited by tower : 08-20-2007 at 02:19 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Hummer Expert

Nice advert for Banks,and when they say it's expensive ,they should know because they make some of the most over priced stuff on the planet. the Pane system on my old 2003 Dmax cost all of $1300.00 and was installed at 2000 miles and I sold it with the truck in 2005 with 115000 miles on it and it now has 189000 miles and other than a trans it never had any problems. try that with nitrous. yes it is a pain in the ass always haveing to refill the propane,but no worse than the frequent trips to the gas station with the H2. Banks would always be my last choice in Diesel preformance parts . just for example look at the Banks exaust ,the MBRP is cheaper and better made and flows better .
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-22-2007, 01:05 AM
Banned

Ira, thanks for that valuable info. I wasn't advocating Banks, that was just the first site I found with what seemed like valuable info on the topic. I appreciate your input. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2007, 06:16 AM
Hummer Expert

I didn't put pane on my 05 Dmax ,just a tune and exaust and a few other things,it does ok as is .the propane was a hassel but if I hade to choose pane or nos it would be the pane .the nos is too sudden and uncontroleable abd rough on the drive train.
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-24-2007, 06:42 AM
Hummer Professional

H2bill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower

Here's one I just heard today from one of the fleet mechanics regarding biodiesel. Seems that an ambulance they were working on (and running biodiesel) had a fuel leak and the biodiesel ate all the insulation off the electrical harness that it leaked onto. Now they are waiting for a new harness to install. Anyone ever hear of anything about biodiesel being corrosive like that?
Old 08-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

cow boy is off the scale

Yes it is corrosive, Bio rotted some of my fuel lines in 3 mounths.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:44 AM
Hummer Professional

H2bill is on a distinguished road

I spoke with the shop again today about the corrosive issue. They are using two different types of biodiesel, B20 and B50. The B50 is a soy-based product and that's what they seem to be having the problem with. Right now they have several jars full of each with electrical wire coiled up in each to watch what happens to it over time.