H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 12-21-2005, 03:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

H-Unit is off the scale

I have a K&N intake already and i'm looking for more power without jumping right into a supercharger. I don't think an exhaust will make much difference, but maybe? Does anyone make a header for the H3 yet? Will a performance header from a Colorado work?

Cheers!
Old 12-21-2005, 03:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

H-Unit is off the scale

I have a K&N intake already and i'm looking for more power without jumping right into a supercharger. I don't think an exhaust will make much difference, but maybe? Does anyone make a header for the H3 yet? Will a performance header from a Colorado work?

Cheers!
Old 12-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

evomind is an unknown quantity at this point

if ur looking for "fast," u bought the wrong vehicle.
even with a supercharger, its not "fast." it would then be "fast" for an h3, or maybe even an suv, but not "fast."
im not sure but i dont think a header from colorado will work..well, maybe. ull need an exhaust that will reach up to it though, and thats where i think the problem is.
take a look at a colorado header and determine if it fits. then maybe go to a muffler shop and see if they'll custom make u an exhaust that'll work. they should be able to.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

Guppy is off the scale

I am confussed about something. Why in the world do I keep seeing posts about people wanting more power and to go faster with the H3 or any Hummer?

I thought this vehicle is a SUV that is designed to go off road. Are people trying to just go fast enough to JUMP over things instead of going slow and climbing them?

I just dont get it. I have owned 4 different SUV's in my live and none of them were bought to race with. Even the V8 SUV's will not beat a Mustang or Vette in a race.

I can understand when people modify the HUMMER with lift kits and larger tires because this will help for major off roading. But to take the time to write up a post to ask "Duh, how can I get the HUMMER to go faster" is not only a waste of our time but also is really not the right forum for it.

I would suggest trading in the Hummer and getting a sports car and then joing the proper forum for it.
2006 Yellow H3 Adventure Package with 35" Firestone Destination MT Tires, Torsion Bar Adjustment, Trail Duty Extended Bump Stops, Chrome Trim Package, XM radio, 6 Disc Monsoon Stereo, Marker Lights, Brush Guard, Chrome Nerf Bars.
www.centexhummerclub.com
Old 12-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

well....cant fault a guy for wanting to mod his truck i guess. hell i might do it too.
just realize the truck will never be "fast."
Old 12-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Hummer Professional

StarsnBars is off the scale

It's all about crusing and looking cool in these bad boys.I let em fly by and watch em crane there necks checkin out the 3.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Guppy:
I am confussed about something. Why in the world do I keep seeing posts about people wanting more power and to go faster with the H3 or any Hummer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you on that. So many people (including car reviewers) are completely obsessed with the idea of speed (not necessarily power, but 0 to 60 speed). Speed seems at times to be the sole criteria by which any vehicle is judged.

There are many cars (and the people that love them) that are indeed made for going fast...and that's great. But true off-road vehicles are not intended to speed down the highway at 95 mph.

I think most people who are interested with Hummers and are obsessed with highway speed (or lack thereof) are enticed solely by the H3's styling and aesthetics. If that is the case, then you are always going to be disappointed since speed just isn't what a Hummer is made for.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H-Unit:

Cheers! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That K&N kit and catback exhasut is all you can really do until Hypertech or someone comes out with more. I know you siad you didn't want to go big with a Turbo or SC kit, but there is a turbo kit and a couple of SC's out there already.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

H-Unit is off the scale

This forum drives me crazy some times! Let me explain myself so that hopefully someone can post some USEFUL information!

I live in a mountain town and my elevation is anywhere from 7,000 ft. to 10,000 ft! The air up here is not very good for N/A motors. At sealevel I might get to use all 220 hp, I'd probably be lucky if i'm even getting to use 170 hp up here!

So, evomind, guppy and darthkarl, only post if you have an answer to the question.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

Guppy is off the scale

First of all anyone can comment on anything they want. Second, is this Mountain town Ruidoso, New Mexico or some place like it? The reason why I ask is because I have been to Ruidoso many times to ski. Not only have I driven up the mountain with 2wd-4wd SUV's and Cars, I never had a problem. Now if you are planning on towing something then no mater what kind of vehicle you have you will always have HP issues going up hill.

Now you are more then welcome to own and drive any vehicle that you want and you are welcome to ask or comment on any issue. However, some of us are just tired of the lack of research people do for these types of vehicles before they buy them. Afterwards they tend to complain about one thing or another that the vehicle was never intended to do.

Anyway, Good luck with your rig and have a Merry Christmas...
2006 Yellow H3 Adventure Package with 35" Firestone Destination MT Tires, Torsion Bar Adjustment, Trail Duty Extended Bump Stops, Chrome Trim Package, XM radio, 6 Disc Monsoon Stereo, Marker Lights, Brush Guard, Chrome Nerf Bars.
www.centexhummerclub.com
Old 12-23-2005, 10:40 PM

bjklein21 is off the scale

The man asked a simple question. Everyone gets so defensive, it seems this problem bothers you also. H-unit never said he wanted a super fast car he just asked how he could get more power maybe for off-roading purposes. Give the guy a break. Were all here to help, right?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H-Unit:
So, evomind, guppy and darthkarl, only post if you have an answer to the question. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll post my opinion whenever I damn well feel like it. If you don't like it, don't read it.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, given all things equal, static hp at 7K on your 220 hp H3 is actually outputting 169 hp, at 10K it is outputting 151 hp. However, remember that there is less air restriction at that altitude and for dynamic purposes, you need less hp to move the vehicle.
However, I fail to see how any "so-called" item that supposedly increases hp will help due to altitude changes. (I won't go into my tests on K&N filters as dyno'ed on Corvettes.)
To increase airflow sufficiently to increase hp sufficiently due to altitude, you really need to force more air into the engine. Only method I know that works great is a SC or a TC; but these tend to void the warranty.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:05 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

H-unit, you will only get so much from intake/exhaust/programmer and typically less power than you would have liked for the $$. f5fstop is correct in that you really need a blower or turbo to really see appreciable power increases. I have heard a few companies are close to releasing (if they haven't already) complete kits for the H3. In fact, I think I saw one using a powerdyne head piece just a week or 2 ago in these forums.

If you do get a blower put on, we'll have to get together and have some hummer races or try to jump over things!!!!
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 12-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

i did reply in a useful manner i thought as to reasonable expectations from bolt on mods.
u wont feel much gain from anything else besides forced induction, and even then its still not a "fast" vehicle. i still stand behind that. of course my other vehicles are a 600 hp cobra and a lotus elise, so its relative.
i also have inquired abt superchargers for the h3, but again, u have to have reasonable expectations as to longevity, cost, and benefit.
my post was not insulting in any way, so on that, please dont chastize my posts.
ive modded more than just abt anyone here and can answer any post any way i feel.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale

H-Unit,

An exhaust will give you about 8ish at the wheels, and the back pressure reduction will help highway MPG slightly. B&B/SMA's exhaust elmininates the resonator. Magnaflow's and Borla's have their own resonantor to replace the stock piece.

You can port match/contour your K&N kit to help flow slightly. You can alos help the K&N get more cold air and less hot engine compartment air which will help ~1% power increase range.

Also, the throttle body can use some "light work" to clean it up and flow better - there's easily 4-5 HP in this. The TB is worse than the LS1's. The intake manifold needs some work in the TB area - if you feel like a challenge.

There are some electronic mods that I haven't done yet: modify the IAT to put the PCM on a more aggressive timing table, alter the MAF output frequency signal to lean out the WOT A/F ratio, etc.

Remember in Truck Trend's 2nd annual ultimate challenge, the H3 took second because of power, and perhaps it could have taken 1st with some of the bolt-on power adders. Also, it may have got a better run for the hill climb with the mods and an auto.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

H-Unit is off the scale

I have plenty of experience in vehicle modification. I have two Z06 Corvettes and one has 550 hp. I'm am in no way looking to make my rig 'fast'! I just want to be able to use overdrive in the Hummer. I can't go 40 mph up here in overdrive! That is rediculous! So, thank you guys that actually had some useful information to post. I will probably s/c my ride, but picking up hp here and there never hurt.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:33 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

H Unit, what elevation are you at?

I have 35's and had three people and all of our gear yesterday and went up to A Basin. I had no issues at 80mph going up I70 (13,000ft.)and 55mph over 10,000ft past Keystone. Yes it was in overdrive and to the floor, but that was really no different than when I had the H2. I too would like to see another 50-60hp and it woul dbe perfect for me.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:50 PM

jsw029 is off the scale

I live in the suburbs and NEVER plan on taking my H3 off-road. I know, for the hardcore Hummer fan, it's a shame but I bought the H3 because of it's style. It's a bad-@ss looking truck. I am a Graphic Designer and I appreciate this attribute. The fact that it ALSO can outperform most other vehicles off-road is merely an added bonus for me. With that being said, I would prefer to have more acceleration and top-end speed since that is where I would most benefit.

Sometimes this forum pisses me off. Am I not a member of the Hummer community because my H3 stays on the street and I want to modify it accordingly?
Old 12-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Our last H2 had some power, but we kept breaking things from it. Tons of power is great for the street, but not necessarily good for offroading with all stock components.

I guarantee we had a much easier time driving to Moab on I-70 with our old truck then everyone else, but we threw the T-case, too.

There's plus's and minus's to both, but follow fstop's instructions. He's on the money.

Me. 60 mph is at 12 o'clock.