H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 12-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Next week im getting an eclipse dvd nav rear cam installed. Not sure where to put camera.I was thinking High above spare or maybee low in bumper maybee on ledge for lic plate or in the black cap on left or right side of bumper.and last maybee on spare tire cover in foglight of airbrushed h3 if they can have a disconect so I can get cover off.Any other Ideas?
Attached Images

H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Hummer Guru

Next week im getting an eclipse dvd nav rear cam installed. Not sure where to put camera.I was thinking High above spare or maybee low in bumper maybee on ledge for lic plate or in the black cap on left or right side of bumper.and last maybee on spare tire cover in foglight of airbrushed h3 if they can have a disconect so I can get cover off.Any other Ideas?
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:50 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

I am very interested in your post! I too am a having this done after the first of the year. So please keep me/ us posted on any issues concerns you have with the installation and placement when this is getting done.

The two spots you point out on the bumpers have bolts behind them, so that may not be a good place for them. I cannot tell if you have the trailer hitch back there, but if you do: Next to your trailer hitch may be good. There is a plate next to that you could punch though. up higher on top of your truck wouldn't be bad either, but you may have the spare tire issues the H2 guys have had. I'm not sure how close to the truck you want to view. Some people have it point back quite far and other have it pointed to see within 12" of the bumpers.

Good luck,
Tim.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll never understand hitch cams.

Why not mount the camera on the upper corner of the rear window on the INSIDE? It's protected from the elements, theft and wheeling mishaps. Plus, then you can move it around if you need to.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Hummer Guru

If you pop off those caps on bumper there is plenty of room for camera.I dont have a hitch.Putting behind glass might not work well with the factory tint.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

Waxing is off the scale

I had my Eclipse camera installed in the hitch.One thing you might want to keep in mind is light for night time use. My installer wanted to mount it near the license plate to use the light from the license plate. Lucky for me it worked out fine. The reverse lights give off enough light for the camera. One other thing I want mention is first the installer used a brand camera other than Eclipse and it would not go on automatically when I went into reverse. He then installed the Eclipse and it works great.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Hummer Guru

Waxing How is the view, does the spare tire (33") block view.Is it standard camera or day/night vision. I dont have a hitch but I could mount it on lower bumper were factory hitch would go.If its not to much trouble could you post a pic of reverse camera view.My installer was thinking of top mounted camera, a hole would have to be drilled on rear gate.I guess I would never remove camera so it wouldnt be to bad to drill into gate.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

Waxing is off the scale

fourfourto, the view gives you alot of coverage. What I mean by that is when I am backing up it dosen't just focus just on the car behind me it let's me view the ground until I am right on top of the car behind me. The spare tire is not an issue. With the camera I was telling you about earlier it just focused on the car. I am not sure about the day/night camera question. [I will try and find out ]. I will post pics as soon as I can.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:09 AM
Hummer Veteran

BB is an unknown quantity at this point

I think, lookingwise, the best place to put a rear camera is just above the license plate.
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2005, 12:11 AM
Hummer Veteran

BB is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is the view.
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Hummer Guru

Looks like a low view whats at the top and bottom of screen.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Hummer Guru

Just came back from installer he wanted to look at h3 first to figure out camera mounting .He recomends putting it were bb put it on licence plate top but drill hole and flush mount it in the plastic.Also he recomended fish eye view.We tested view with a portable and this seems the best.Other option was under spare on bumper and drill bumper ,tire is in the way a little that way. He feels the camera is more protected near licence plate.(like for water forging and mud splash)I think Im going to let him install a viper alarm/auto start at the same time .He has to order the camera and correct on star adapter so looks like next week for install.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:22 PM
Steve - SanJose

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fourfourto:
Just came back from installer he wanted to look at h3 first to figure out camera mounting .He recomends putting it were bb put it on licence plate top but drill hole and flush mount it in the plastic.Also he recomended fish eye view.We tested view with a portable and this seems the best.Other option was under spare on bumper and drill bumper ,tire is in the way a little that way. He feels the camera is more protected near licence plate.(like for water forging and mud splash)I think Im going to let him install a viper alarm/auto start at the same time .He has to order the camera and correct on star adapter so looks like next week for install. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, sounds like a lot of garage engineering, but should work fine. I opted for a hitchcam which the dealer easily plugged and played. Easy to unlock and remove for serious offroading, but since my offroading is lightweight, I will only remove it if I tow. Works fine/wide angle view/in low light, etc.

S.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:36 PM
Hummer Guru

I dont have a hitch so no hitchcam.If you use a hitchcam and you remove it ,How do you line up ball.I would think if you do alot of towing you would want to use camera to line up ball by yourself.Im eventually going to get a aftermarket hitch and hopefully I will have good view from lic plate location.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Steve - SanJose

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fourfourto:
I dont have a hitch so no hitchcam.If you use a hitchcam and you remove it ,How do you line up ball.I would think if you do alot of towing you would want to use camera to line up ball by yourself.Im eventually going to get a aftermarket hitch and hopefully I will have good view from lic plate location. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea I rarely use H3 for towing so the hitchcam rarely gets removed. Sounds like the license plate location should work for backup safety, but it might be difficult to use for lining up the hitch ball since the camera is not centered on the truck. I guess nothing beats a spotter (2nd person) when hitching up. Let us know how you eventually setup your camera.

S.