H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 12-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

H-Unit is off the scale

I don't have a problem going fast, it's fine at hwy speeds because most of the hwy driving is coming off the mountain. For some reason it just seems like the transmission can't decide what gear it wants when i'm driving about 35 to 40 mph. I think if it had a little more torque it wouldn't do as much gear searching. I'm thinking that a header would make enough of a difference that it would stay in a gear.

evomind, guppy and darthkarl...I should have picked a better name for this thread. After looking back, I guess the first impression I gave was that I was power hungry and that is not the case. The title should have been more like I need a couple more ponies!

Cheers1
Old 12-27-2005, 05:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

H-Unit is off the scale

KenP, that is a sweet video! Is that just a S/C or was there some engine work done as well?
Old 12-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Steve - SanJose

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jsw029:
I live in the suburbs and NEVER plan on taking my H3 off-road. I know, for the hardcore Hummer fan, it's a shame but I bought the H3 because of it's style. It's a bad-@ss looking truck. I am a Graphic Deigner and I appreciate this attribute. The fact that it ALSO can outperform most other vehicles off-road is merely an added bonus for me. With that being said, I would prefer to have more acceleration and top-end speed since that is where I would most benefit.

Sometimes this forum pisses me off. Am I not a member of the Hummer community because my H3 stays on the street and I want to modify it accordingly? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pimp that ride! Don't worry about it, just enjoy your H3 regardless of where you drive it. Don't forget that the Hummer sales generated by H3 buyers that never go offroad are important to the Hummer divisions survival and success. Hummer is part of GM and needs to perform to avoid the fate of Oldsmobile and eventually Buick and Pontiac.

S.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:58 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H-Unit:
KenP, that is a sweet video! Is that just a S/C or was there some engine work done as well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Lots of engine work including heads, pistons, cam, rollers, etc.

You can go to your first post on this thread and hit the Edit icon. If it's not too late you can then change the title of the thread.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve-SanJose-H3:

Pimp that ride! Don't worry about it, just enjoy your H3 regardless of where you drive it. Don't forget that the Hummer sales generated by H3 buyers that never go offroad are important to the Hummer divisions survival and success. Hummer is part of GM and needs to perform to avoid the fate of Oldsmobile and eventually Buick and Pontiac.

S. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I can't believe Buick is still around.

H, enjoy the truck.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H-Unit:
I don't have a problem going fast, it's fine at hwy speeds because most of the hwy driving is coming off the mountain. For some reason it just seems like the transmission can't decide what gear it wants when i'm driving about 35 to 40 mph. I think if it had a little more torque it wouldn't do as much gear searching. I'm thinking that a header would make enough of a difference that it would stay in a gear.

evomind, guppy and darthkarl...I should have picked a better name for this thread. After looking back, I guess the first impression I gave was that I was power hungry and that is not the case. The title should have been more like I need a couple more ponies!

Cheers1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have found when in the hills, it is best to keep the beast in 3 versus D. It hunts and downshifts less. In addition, going down hill requires less brake pedal operations on small hills.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:17 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

evomind, guppy and darthkarl...I should have picked a better name for this thread. After looking back, I guess the first impression I gave was that I was power hungry and that is not the case. The title should have been more like I need a couple more ponies! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problems. My impressions were not intended to be directed at you (or an attack of you), but rather was my observation that many people (including most car reviewers) evaluate a vehicle primarily upon that car’s 0-60 time. While that may be fair when looking at a Ford GT, that doesn’t necessarily apply to a vehicle that is designed to be used off-road, even though many never will see the dirt. As I’m sure a good number of GT’s will similarly never see a race track.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to get a little more power too. I think I'd REALLY like a tow/haul mode for the tranny to make it hold shift points longer. I too live in the mountains and usually just leave it in 3 to keep the tranny from hunting.

So:
1. Exhaust mods help. Does eliminating the resonator? How bad is the drone without the resonator?
2. The K&N intake helps. How much? Does it affect water fording?
3. Has anyone tried a chip? Is there one available? How's it help hp and mileage?
4. Any specifics on the throttle body mods?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:49 AM
Hummer Veteran

hmer is off the scale

yup for those that mention not beeing at Slevel a SC will work . same thing is use on small airplanes like the few i use for school a SC is installed from factory . yeah bomb my post i know hummer is not a plane but the SC will help.know a bunch of guys that live in places like that and have a SC on just for that .NOT TO GO FAST.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Huck BB62:
I would like to get a little more power too. I think I'd REALLY like a tow/haul mode for the tranny to make it hold shift points longer. I too live in the mountains and usually just leave it in 3 to keep the tranny from hunting.

So:
1. Exhaust mods help. Does eliminating the resonator? How bad is the drone without the resonator?
2. The K&N intake helps. How much? Does it affect water fording?
3. Has anyone tried a chip? Is there one available? How's it help hp and mileage?
4. Any specifics on the throttle body mods? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) I don't know how the stock exhaust sounds without the resonator. I have the B&B/SMA (no resonantor) and the sound isn't that bad. Deeper but no V8 sound. B&B told me they measured a 8 wheel HP increase with their exhaust on a stock H3. This gain seems typical.

2) I think WhiteH3 posted some of his dynos done by K&N on his H3. I think the gain was over 15 hp at the wheels. I have the Airaid (the price was right) with my own pipe that bypasses the intake resonator. The K&N system seems pretty good. I can't answer the water fording, but my guess is that not much different. The filter element may be exposed to more splashing than stock. The stock system breaths from the passinger fender. With the Airaid system, the metal bracket can be removed and the stock lid put back on in about 1 minute for off-roading. Teh K&N and Airaid system will produce more noise.

3) NO chips - programmers are in works to reflash the PCM. I haven't seen any out yet.

4) The throttle body needs some cleanup. You'll need a die grinder or a dremel to reshape the TB input and output. The input needs some slight-medium reshaping. The output needs more work. Some people knife edge the throttle blade too.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Steve - SanJose

I know it's the American way, thankfully. You cannot have too much horsepower or too much money!

Most of these mods seem like more trouble than its worth.

I am considering a dual exhaust system because it looks cool and hopefully sounds slightly better than stock. Any horsepower increase I'm sure will not be noticable.

S.