H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 12-08-2006, 05:09 AM
Hummer Veteran

Hal is off the scale
Default Diff fluid change interval

While we are discussing oil life and change interval, I wanted to revisit the differentials. In a previous thread it was briefly touched on but the discussion focused more on the T-case fill procedure and the diffs were all but forgotten
[ http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=20941 ]

I changed my front and rear diff at 10k miles and found the rear diff oil noticeably black while the front diff was not bad at all. What does the manual say? I couldn't find any clear answers, but I'm glad I changed mine when I did because the rear diff looked pretty bad, and I think others here have found the same thing.
Whadayallthink?
Shadow Green 5-Speed/GREEN GRILLE/rear door AIR compressor/Factory Nav/Lux-Off Road Pkg/Sunroof/Roof & Grille Off Road Lights/Underbody Protection/Wet Okole seat covers/Husky floor liners/Black fuel door/No Chrome/'04 Grand Cherokee Overland/'94 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 lifted.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Diff fluid change interval

Don't think there is a recommendation due to synthetic fluid.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

bjc is off the scale

I think you were smart to take a look at 10k as there's some evidence to suggest that the front and rear diffs on the H3 are not holding up as they should.

I have a 2006 (shorter warranty period) and plan to check mine every 10k because my truck sees significant time offroad. I've had two repairs to the rear diff already and I'm not sure what the cause was, so better to be cautious.
Birch White H3 Manual, Adventure Package, Sunroof, Trailering Package, Off-Road Lamps, Splashguards, Black Tubular Assist Steps, Black Crossbows, Mudder Mats, Ski Rack, Warn XD9000 w/ DOI Hawse Winch Bumper, DOI Prototype Skid Plates, M101A1 3/4 ton trailer.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

garnerbiker is off the scale

Same thing with mine at 10K. The rear was dark and the front was pretty much clean. I wheel a lot and will do it every 10-15K. I did the T-case too at 10K and will probably do that at 20K or so.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:13 AM
Hummer Authority

wannabeH3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjc
I think you were smart to take a look at 10k as there's some evidence to suggest that the front and rear diffs on the H3 are not holding up as they should.

I have a 2006 (shorter warranty period) and plan to check mine every 10k because my truck sees significant time offroad. I've had two repairs to the rear diff already and I'm not sure what the cause was, so better to be cautious.

all h3's have 4 year 50k miles. even if you bought yours when it was 3/36 they changed it to 4 50
Old 12-09-2006, 01:19 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeH3
all h3's have 4 year 50k miles. even if you bought yours when it was 3/36 they changed it to 4 50

But '07 vehicles have a 5 yr/100K powertrain that incudes axles.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:38 AM
Hummer Veteran

Hal is off the scale

f5fstop,
Shouldn't we be concerned that many of us are finding a significant difference in the condition of the rear diff fluid compaired to the front diff at 10K miles or less?
And how many folks have twice or three times as many miles and have never checked theirs??
Shadow Green 5-Speed/GREEN GRILLE/rear door AIR compressor/Factory Nav/Lux-Off Road Pkg/Sunroof/Roof & Grille Off Road Lights/Underbody Protection/Wet Okole seat covers/Husky floor liners/Black fuel door/No Chrome/'04 Grand Cherokee Overland/'94 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 lifted.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Hummer Guru

Does black fluid mean the fluid is bad? Only way to tell is an oil analysis, and I don't believe anyone has done that.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:41 AM
Hummer Veteran

Hal is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Does black fluid mean the fluid is bad? Only way to tell is an oil analysis, and I don't believe anyone has done that.

OK, next time if the fluid is black I'll taste it to be sure it's bad

f5, I understand your point, I'm just still a bit curious...

It's not a question of the FLUID being good or bad... more to the point: what is going on in the REAR diff to make it black and have alot more metal fragments stuck to the magnet on the drain plug as compaired to the FRONT. I haven't seen that in any of my other 4x4 vehicles.

Has anyone changed it a second time and found the same thing?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal
OK, next time if the fluid is black I'll taste it to be sure it's bad Make a comparison test with the front diff fluid.

f5, I understand your point, I'm just still a bit curious...

It's not a question of the FLUID being good or bad... more to the point: what is going on in the REAR diff to make it black and have alot more metal fragments stuck to the magnet on the drain plug as compaired to the FRONT. I haven't seen that in any of my other 4x4 vehicles.
Did a magnetic drain plug show a lot of metal, or just a covering of metal on the plug? The breaking in process will result in some metal particles. Why it is darker, probably has something to do with the rear has more stress to it then the front. I guess we would need a chemical engineer to step in and explain that one.

Has anyone changed it a second time and found the same thing?

Old 12-14-2006, 06:18 AM
Hummer Veteran

Hal is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
did the drain plug show a lot of metal
There was a lump of ferrous sludge convex on the rear drain plug about equal in size to a plain m&m candy (but it didn't taste as good), in other words there was a pretty good size blob stuck to the plug, but no big chunks luckily. The front plug had a healthy coating but not what I would call a blob like the rear had.
Is that just the breaking in of the diff? or could there be a materials issue with some of the metal in there?
I guess time will tell. And yes, I'm getting a little tired of this topic myself. So, we'll just have to revisit it in 10K miles.