H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-01-2003, 12:34 AM

Lil Devil is off the scale

Ok...I know this is not for everyone on this board. Especially those of you that do a lot of off-roading but I will be using my truck as a show truck so ...

These are the new 10 inch ID4's. One of the 1st sets released to market. Box is made of 1 inch MDF with 1 inch plexiglass in front. Box is ported. The center section has 15 farad cap mounted. Box also includes neon for the shows. Everything go wrapped in "KatSkin" and is almost a perfect match in color. Box weighs over 150 lbs.

Pix showing size of enclosure:

Closeup of box:

Box near Memphis Belle Amps:

Closeup of ID4:

----------------------------------------------------------
2002 Vette; Vortex Intake, Vortech S/C, Stage II heads, comp cam (220/220/114/.581), 3.90 gears, 14 inch cross drilled rotors, 170 stat, NGK TR6, B&M Ripper Shifter, Autometer Boost & Fuel pressure gauges on a-pillar, Hotchkis Sway Bars, HRE 543 wheels (F:265/35 R:295/35), Z06 titanium exhaust, RK LT headers, Magnaflow x-pipe, Programming by Morgan Motorsports, 5% tint, AA Frame & Rocker Savers, TB Bypass, Lowered 2", Custom Audio;570 RWHP Dyno Here

2003 H2; 37 inch tires, Manik Off-Road pkg., Airaid Intake, Custom Audio
Old 06-01-2003, 12:34 AM

Ok...I know this is not for everyone on this board. Especially those of you that do a lot of off-roading but I will be using my truck as a show truck so ...

These are the new 10 inch ID4's. One of the 1st sets released to market. Box is made of 1 inch MDF with 1 inch plexiglass in front. Box is ported. The center section has 15 farad cap mounted. Box also includes neon for the shows. Everything go wrapped in "KatSkin" and is almost a perfect match in color. Box weighs over 150 lbs.

Pix showing size of enclosure:

Closeup of box:

Box near Memphis Belle Amps:

Closeup of ID4:

2002 Vette; Vortex Intake, Vortech S/C, Stage II heads, comp cam (220/220/114/.581), 3.90 gears, 14 inch cross drilled rotors, 170 stat, NGK TR6, B&M Ripper Shifter, Autometer Boost & Fuel pressure gauges on a-pillar, Hotchkis Sway Bars, HRE 543 wheels (F:265/35 R:295/35), Z06 titanium exhaust, RK LT headers, Magnaflow x-pipe, Programming by Morgan Motorsports, 5% tint, AA Frame & Rocker Savers, TB Bypass, Lowered 2", Custom Audio;570 RWHP Dyno Here

Old 06-01-2003, 01:04 AM
H2 Club Houston Chapter Founder

BADRAP is off the scale

Ok, I have to get one of those... HOOK me up man, I will pay fo that....Just tell me how much???

BADRAP
03 H2, Lux, Pewter, more upgrades soon..
President Houston Texas H2 Club Hummer Chapter..
badrap@sbcglobal.net
Old 06-01-2003, 01:14 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BADRAP:
Ok, I have to get one of those... HOOK me up man, I will pay fo that....Just tell me how much???

_BADRAP_
03 H2, Lux, Pewter, more upgrades soon..
President Houston Texas H2 Club Hummer Chapter..
badrap@sbcglobal.net)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sent you an email... Enclosure and components were very expensive...

Old 06-01-2003, 01:24 AM

blg615 is off the scale

Very clean install, looks perfect.
How about some advice from the forum for my situation. I want to install a single 10", BUT also need to keep my tire and 3rd row. I know there's limited room left for a box with enough cubic air space for a 10" sub, but surely someone has done this.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:40 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blg615:
Very clean install, looks perfect.
How about some advice from the forum for my situation. I want to install a single 10", BUT also need to keep my tire and 3rd row. I know there's limited room left for a box with enough cubic air space for a 10" sub, but surely someone has done this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I played with another configuration that might work for you. It would involve building a fiberglass box/enclosure where I have my amplifiers mounted. It would basically look like an extension of the wheel well. Have it stop where the rear window begins. Not sure you can get enough volume for a 10 inch though.

I would research the different brands and find an 8 or 10 inch sub that requires the least amount of volume. The trick is to build the box around the driver.

Old 06-01-2003, 01:42 AM

Here are so crappy pictures of the enclosure with the neon.

Old 06-01-2003, 02:02 AM
Circuitguy

Lil Devil, Those pics look great! That must have set you back some "quan". Those drivers look very expensive. If you can let me know what the specs are on them. Blg615, Lil Devil is giving you great advice on your needs with the one driver you want. I have built enclosures for 10" drivers that out pound two 12's. There are drivers out there that require less than .50 cubic per each. you must build the enclosure to the specs of the driver for all to work properly. The problem is that they require a huge amount of power to drive. It is common to spend around if not more than $250.00 for a driver and $600.00 for a amp to drive just the one. Thats not including building the enclosure or wireing. If anyone has any questions or need help with install or purchasing there components feel free to drop me a line any time. C

First American Properties Inc. 916-858-2383
White 03-H2-LUX
Old 06-01-2003, 02:22 AM

and if I might add to Circuitguy's post, if you listen to your music loud and want a lot of thump, I would recommend a Class D amp to drive your sub(s). Use a Class A/B to drive the doors.

Rock On!

Old 06-01-2003, 06:08 PM

Grim_Smoker is off the scale

I've been waiting to install my system for so long and was thinking about doing it soon, but now I'm buying a home, so I dunno if I'm gonna just say screw it and do it, or wait even longer. I'm probably doing 3 10W7's in a slot ported custom box, it's gonna be thumpin HARD. I like big expensive loud systems, There was a 30,000.00 system in my WRX but I'm not spending nearly that on the H2. I'm not doing much if any fiberglass, most likely no lights, nothing show, just a pure power hungry thumpin system. Not only will you hear my exhaust from a ways away, you'll hear my system miles away .
Looks good Lil Devil, I like it.

-Grim

2003 Sunset Metalic Orange H2 - Breathless Stage 2B, HID's, Gobi Rack & Ladder.

2003 Millenium Yellow Z06

Old 06-01-2003, 07:06 PM

Hey Grim...

thank you very much. Sounds like you know a thing or two about audio. If I may offer my experiences to you. The JL subs are very nice subs but in my humble opinion, tend to be a bit higher $$$ wise than similar products. I used JL stuff extensively in my Porsches because of their form factor. Their 8 inch was a perfect fit for the Carrera.

Alternatives to JL you may want to consider are Kicker's, CDT's or Image Dynamics. I put a solobaric L7 from Kicker in my new Vette (picture below) and it sure thumps. Their square design really packs a thump. I also have used CDT's line of Eurosport speakers in my Porsches and Vette's and most recently experimented with their subs. They sure are pretty and a competition level sub.

If you are into buying this stuff off the 'net, an excellent resource with excellent prices is http://www.thezeb.com (I personally have no relationship with them, just offering my experience).

Anwyays, enjoy your audio project and drop me a note if you want to chat. (I see you also have a vette. click on my dyno link and take a look at my graph. these cars are a blast and you can really tune them for some serious HP's)

Old 06-01-2003, 09:31 PM

Grim_Smoker is off the scale

Thanks for the advice devil. Although I am aware of the higher price for the JL's, I've pretty much always used JL's and I really like them (I tend to stick with what works) especially the W7's. Though they may not provide the clearest sound, they provide the punch I'm looking for. I have this problem, anything that has a motor, I have to work it up. My H2's gettin lifted and will be about 650HP when I'm done. I really want to send my Z06 to Lingenfelter for the 427TT, but I may wait and just build my block, then send my car to Halltech (after more info on their kit comes around and some actually get built and do well of course) for they're TT setup and have them put me in the 1100+ range for sub 9 second runs

Thanks for the website referal, I'll deffinitly check out what they've got (everything is always cheaper online )

-Grim

2003 Sunset Metalic Orange H2 - Breathless Stage 2B, HID's, Gobi Rack & Ladder.

Old 06-01-2003, 10:52 PM

HappyJack is off the scale

Very nice sub box install. I want to build one that I can take out of the truck easily. I do not have the spare inside the truck but I would like to have the seat in from time to time.

I would like two 10" drivers and I want to put the amps in the box with the subs. I have been thinking about putting them up on top of the wheel wells where you have the amps. Tell me more about your idea.

My current thinking is to leave the H2 headunit and amp in the truck and tap off of it at the amp output to drive the after market amps.

Did you replace the other speakers in your H2? If so what kind and size did you pick?

Cheers
Old 06-01-2003, 11:13 PM

The Zenarc 7" LCD monitor shown on the Lil Devil Motorsports web site is nice. It has great resolution.

I am curious if it was designed to run off a automotive electrical system? It states that it works on 12v +-10%! That is no where near the specks you find in a car. If it is installed in an H2 does it void its warranty?

I want to mount it in the headrest, does it need ventilation on its back?

Is is

Cheers
Old 06-01-2003, 11:23 PM

Believe it or not the sub enclosure is removable. It is not tied down at all. the weight keeps it from moving. The covered panels are removable via velcro. I remove 4 screws on the back side facing the rear seats and the cap comes out with all the wiring. The subs and neon use quick connects so i can disconnect all wires within seconds. But given its weight, it would require 2 people to move it out.

I removed the two "pockets" on top of the wheel well and screwed MDF to the wheel well. The amp is then screwed into the MDF. A trim panel was made to hide the amp wiring (pix below).

Because of the way our rigs are wired, if you remove the headunit from the rig many things will stop working like memory seats and a bunch of other stuff. So we moved the factory HU to the rear and strapped it inside the wheel well panel on the passenger side. More than enough room there.

Yes I did replace the speakers also. Actually gutted the truck - removed all the seats and carpet because I also dynamated the truck. Anyways, I used CDT Eurosports all around. All of them were components. Onstar is a pain the rear to deal with. A reall pain. Plan your work carefully before ripping things out. It's not like other cars. these rigs use the factory radio as a "bus" to distribute many signals required to make the truck work. Sucks in my opinion. I am told in the next few months a few companies will offer a breakout box that will allow us to regain the steering wheel controls for the audio with aftermarket equipment and allow us to ditch the factory HU.

Hope this makes sense.

Old 06-01-2003, 11:33 PM

Several people have now asked what material was used to cover the box and I forgot to mention it (I think). It's from a company called http://www.katzkin.com

IMHO, they make some of the nicest material around. Heated properly, you could wrap a basketball with that stuff!

Seems like we might need an Audio/Video forum.... Jason: What do you think?

Old 06-01-2003, 11:56 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wannabeinit:
The Zenarc 7" LCD monitor shown on the Lil Devil Motorsports web site is nice. It has great resolution.

I am curious if it was designed to run off a automotive electrical system? It states that it works on 12v +-10%! That is no where near the specks you find in a car. If it is installed in an H2 does it void its warranty?

I want to mount it in the headrest, does it need ventilation on its back?

Is is

Cheers<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is for audio. You are looking at the operating voltage and not the power supply voltage. The power supply operates from 8V to 14V ~ 1 amp.

I don't know how much ventilation is required but will call them tomorrow for you. Not sure if you saw this cool option for the headrests: Xenarc Headrest Mount

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Rodney (aka. Lil Devil)

Old 06-02-2003, 01:18 AM

Thanks for all the info. and pics. I did not think that sub enclosure was removable!

> . . . So we moved the factory HU to the rear
> and strapped it inside the wheel well panel
> on the passenger side. More than enough room
> there. . .

Is the space on top of the wheel or more to the front? I would like to use that space for some equipment. I do not want my amps under the back seat. I want the seat to fold all the way down flat and I want to be able to use that space under the seat for kid stuff on long trips.

I like the factory HU well enough so I have no problem keeping it in the dash. I want to make two sub boxes so it is easier to move the weight(one on each side).

I did see your headrest mounting bracket but I want the monitor in the headreast not behind it.

Cheers
Old 06-02-2003, 11:59 PM

TonkaH2 is off the scale

Very nice, very nice. Since I offroad AND like to thump, I want it built in in wasted space. I'm looking into having enclosures for my 2 12" Kicker L5's [slam em if you want, but I love 'em] built in above the wheel wells, and just closing off the side glass.

Has anybody seen a 'stealth' set up like that yet?

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. pkg.
Alaska to ??? June '03
www.sunspotnatural.com
Old 06-03-2003, 03:21 PM

devil

Did Xenarc get back to you on the monitor in the headrest question?

Cheers