H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

View Poll Results: How would you feel if GM took over production of the H2 from AM General?
I'd LOVE it if GM took over production 3 6.98%
I wouldn't be happy, but its the product that counts 6 13.95%
Whatever 17 39.53%
I'd be somewhat less inclined to buy another H2 2 4.65%
I'd be so perturbed that i might not buy another hummer 15 34.88%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Hummer Professional

31_bandits is on a distinguished road
Default If GM made the H2 instead of AM General

How upset would you be?

I really like having a truck made in Indiana where 51 families gave up their homes so the town could get a brand new factory...

...and i know the H2 was rushed way-to-fast into production, but that is one fine truck they put together.

I voted "so pissed i probably wouldn't buy another H2".
Old 09-06-2006, 02:18 AM
Hummer Expert

Tex_h2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: If GM made the H2 instead of AM General

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31_bandits
How upset would you be?

I really like having a truck made in Indiana where 51 families gave up their homes so the town could get a brand new factory...

...and i know the H2 was rushed way-to-fast into production, but that is one fine truck they put together.

I voted "so pissed i probably wouldn't buy another H2".

.......The H3 was a nice idea...but, as you see AM General didn?t build it....GM did. I hate when a company lowers itself, just to draw more attention. Like Jeep coming out with a Non-off road mid-size SUV....wtf? Or Porsche for making a SUV...WTF?? Have the balls, to stick to what you do right...
Old 09-06-2006, 02:34 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

why does it matter? still same vehicle and same way of production. Does GM own the H2 design and is it incharge of everything except building, or does it just own the logo?

I dont see what the difference is, someone point it out, or is it just one of those things that feel right?
Old 09-06-2006, 03:19 AM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road

I think for being designed by GM, the H3 is pretty excellent off-road. It could be better, but they did a rather good job. I'd prefer that AM General kept building the H2 though. I like to say that to people when they ask about the vehicle.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:26 AM
Hummer Professional

i understand where you are coming from, marin. But its a cool story, a little closer to the roots of the hummers, and i think that factory really meant something to the town it was built in, and it would be a shame for GM to send production to mexico city to save 20 bucks. I'd rather just pay the 20 bucks extra and get a truck made in indiana.

This wasn't an H3 thing, i wasn't knocking H3s.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:52 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBob is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31_bandits
i understand where you are coming from, marin. But its a cool story, a little closer to the roots of the hummers, and i think that factory really meant something to the town it was built in, and it would be a shame for GM to send production to mexico city to save 20 bucks. I'd rather just pay the 20 bucks extra and get a truck made in indiana.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

phazer42 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703
why does it matter? still same vehicle and same way of production. Does GM own the H2 design and is it incharge of everything except building, or does it just own the logo?

I dont see what the difference is, someone point it out, or is it just one of those things that feel right?

The H2 is built by AMG but the manufacturing practices and design are all GM.... originally AMG didn't want to much automation in the bodyshops and therefore the first few batches of trucks weren't all they consistent causing all kinds of problems.... now they are much more automated and producing much better vehicles.... but all in all, its 75%GM and 25% AMG for the H2.... The H3 is a different story... one that I am not totally familiar with....

Scott
'01 HMCO
Old 09-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazer42
The H2 is built by AMG but the manufacturing practices and design are all GM.... originally AMG didn't want to much automation in the bodyshops and therefore the first few batches of trucks weren't all they consistent causing all kinds of problems.... now they are much more automated and producing much better vehicles.... but all in all, its 75%GM and 25% AMG for the H2.... The H3 is a different story... one that I am not totally familiar with....

Scott
'01 HMCO

correct, and in addition, GM has a large contingent of engineers at AMG who are in with AMG in the production of the H2, and they also have a contingent for the H1 (not anymore) and the Hummvee since they also use a large portion of GM parts. However, except for the H2, they are support only. H2, they are basically more than support.
There is also a fairly large group of service engineers at AMG to monitor the vehicles and work on any required service fixes, and relay that info to the GM tech center for finalization.

Then you have people like me who support the H2 and H3 while living in the arm pit of the world; MI. Except I support future product, and very little with current product.

The H3 is totally GM; designed, supplied out for parts, and built at a 100% GM facility in Shreveport, LA.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:14 AM
Hummer Professional

hey fellas,

this isn't about H1s or H3s, just H2s. The thread is not treading on "real hummer" "original" , and it isn't at all about ripping on H3s for being "all GM".

I know GM is in a bit of a corner, and i support them (GM), and frankly i think they are rapidly closing (to closed) ground between their products and whatever imports or competitors you might wish to consider... and alot of how they can save money is getting out of union stranglehold, and moving production to mexico is good and yada yada yada. I just really like having a truck made in Indiana. Hence the question.

Last edited by 31_bandits : 09-07-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:41 AM
Hummer Expert

One thing I really love about the "HUMMER" name is that it’s different; it was built by a company that the army believes would produce the best military vehicle. The H1 is strong, powerful and certainly BIG. Which make the H1 the coolest SUV (if you can call it that) on this planet? Coming in second place is the H2, still continue with the tradition of Hummer by making it BIG, powerful (not fast) and strong. But with a few added amenities that the H1 does not have. Both are amazing looking as well as every little kids dream.

Final the H3, well I'm not going to go there as most of you know how I feel about the H3. But I will say, it's not bad...but I believe HUMMER should have never let GM build this version. And GM will continue to ruin the name of HUMMER.

Just my two cents......and yes, this tread isn't about the H1, H2, or H3..But about, what again?????
Old 09-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Hummer Guru

dеiтайожни is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_h2
Just my two cents......and yes, this tread isn't about the H1, H2, or H3..But about, what again?????

If you would read the title or the post above you, you would see this thread is about the H2. But, like you do with all your posts you bring the H3 into it because you are obviously threatened by it.

You know... for someone who bought their first Hummer only about a month ago, didn't give two shits about the company prior and probably didn't even know what an H3 was until joining this board, you sure think you are quite the Hummer expert, don't you?
Old 09-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:

Final the H3, well I'm not going to go there as most of you know how I feel about the H3. But I will say, it's not bad...but I believe HUMMER should have never let GM build this version. And GM will continue to ruin the name of HUMMER.

I really don't like seeing the H3 bashed by H2 drivers. Leave elitist assininity for that certain element of the H1 crew.

There is no question that the H3 is the best hummer in some ways. Gearing, an interior that will be considerably less prone to rattles over time than its big brothers, and mileage come to mind. I wouldn't hold it against anybody if they liked the styling better than the other 2, its cleaner and less absurd, and the leather seated interiors w/contrast piping are sweet. I don't think its a stretch to say their premium sound is the best sound system in any of the trucks either. There's really nothing bad to say about the H3.

I probably won't ever have one, maybe. For me if they stopped making the H2, i may never have another hummer. I'm sure some H1 guys felt the same about the H2. Whatever.

The H2, to be fair, has some advantages over the H3 as well. Clearance (and hugely so between the wheels), smoother ride, more useable interior room, more attractive interior styling (personal opinoin), a far smoother/more tucked up underbody, and it has no peer (H1 guys may say the H1 is its superior) in the panache department. No other vehicle at any price would make me grin like a 6 year old kid on christmas every morning, or make me sneak out of work to chuckle at its muddiness or its chrome glinting in the sunlight.

But griping at the H3 is both a bit silly (as there really is no justifiable reason to insult the truck), and probably counterproductive.

How many H2 buyers got their truck, loved it, and dreamt of having an H1? probably 1/3 to 1/2. What percentage of those can afford an H1? Probably 90%. What percentage of that 1/3 to 1/2 actually acted on it? Probably <5%

why? maybe the H1 just didn't have enough to offer, but maybe... all the crybaby crap hurled at H2s from the H1 camp just put people off. I'd have already bought one if i hadn't gotten so sick of reading that junk. Maybe a more positive 'tude from that crowd and we'd still have big, gnarly, military hummers as an option.

Dude, and all you AE or whatever H3 flamers, just don't make the H2 guys that lame. Have a coke and a smile and enjoy your truck.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dеiтайожни
If you would read the title or the post above you, you would see this thread is about the H2. But, like you do with all your posts you bring the H3 into it because you are obviously threatened by it.

You know... for someone who bought their first Hummer only about a month ago, didn't give two shits about the company prior and probably didn't even know what an H3 was until joining this board, you sure think you are quite the Hummer expert, don't you?

Why do you continue to be a pain in my ass....and I've been involved with the hummer corporation since 1997.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

H3's Rock!!!! , dont be a hater

Hummers =
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 09-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD
Pleezzzz... At the end of the day your H2 may be assembled by AMG, but it's a GM parts bin truck.

Unless you have an early H2, it will even say it is manufactured by GM on the door label.

the H1 is a parts bin truck to a great extent also. it had to be. no company the size of AMG can reach back adn completely, from scratch, build a small # of 100% unique machines.

The question was one of assembly, not of parts origin or "purity", etc.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Pleezzzz... At the end of the day your H2 may be assembled by AMG, but it's a GM parts bin truck.

Unless you have an early H2, it will even say it is manufactured by GM on the door label.

No on the door Handle, it was MFG by AMG for GM, and yes it has many GM parts on it.........I KNOW THAT!

What I said was they stuck with the idea of producing a BIG, MEAN LOOKING BIG BLOCK, NO AERO-DYNAMICS......

And you H3 owners....piss off I wasn't bashing your precious baby, merely stating an opinion about the three HUMMER'S.

Last edited by Tex_h2 : 09-07-2006 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Why is it you disagree with everyone, even when they are agreeing with you?

i wasn't aware of such a policy, but i'm checking the rulebook.

The H1's parts-bin origin is something that i think its fair to observe from time to time. To read dedicated H1 forums would lead one to believe that the truck was hewn from a solid slab, by very manly men, of manhood itself, with no other ingredient.

lol
Old 09-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Hummer Guru

dеiтайожни is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why do you continue to be a pain in my ass....

My apologies for not rolling over and making this experience easy for you. If you are going to act like a Hummer hating troll, I'm going to treat you like one. Don't like it? Go **** yourself, no one is forcing or even asking you to express your opinion about the H3 in every thread. Listen to your fellow H2 owners.